Studio Canal to go format nuetral?

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Studio Canal and New Line to go format nuetral?

Their first announcement of a BD title:

Les bronzes en hd-dvd et blu-ray !

Hopefully you guys out there that speak fluent French can deciper but it looks as though Studio Canal is going to be releasing in BD for Europe. If they announce another title for BD then it will definately be format nuetral for them.:)

Also from New Line:

Advertisement

New Line told indie retailers today that Hairspray would be their first high def release on Blu-ray and HD DVD.

An older post from Vegas but it looks like Warner has more clients for its two headed monster BD/HD-DVD Total Disc. Perhaps they could have the BD side Blue and the HD-DVD side Red then the average J6P wouldn't get confused.:)

Last edited:
AS BD is leading HD-DVD 3 to 1 in Europe this can only help BD in Europe more. As the 3rd largest catalog studio in Europe for the BDA this can only be considered good news.

Their first announcement of a BD title:
Hopefully you guys out there that speak fluent French can deciper but it looks as though Studio Canal is going to be releasing in BD for Europe. If they announce another title for BD then it will definately be format nuetral for them.:)

Well, my French always was far from fluent, and not much call for it these days a hundred miles north of the Mexican border y mi Español es mas mejor. (My Spanish is much better). But I've always liked how the French phrase things down to the more basic level - "Une première pour l'éditeur qui n'annonce pour le moment que ce titre sur le format de Sony"
- roughly "A first for the studio who announces for the moment only this title on the format of Sony. :p

And then it goes on to say the next High Def titles being released is 'Mr. Bean's Holiday' on HD DVD only.

And considering the new joint venture announced between Universal & Studio Canal, I wouldn't a wave of BD's from them.
FROM VARIETY: Duo create home entertainment venture
-- Video Business, 8/31/2007

AUG. 31 | FROM VARIETY: PARIS—Universal Pictures International Entertainment and Studio Canal are teaming to create what will be France's leading home entertainment distributor, they jointly announced this week.

As a solo entity, Universal Pictures France held a 8.5% share of the Euros 1.5 billion ($2.05 billion) home entertainment market in France. The new joint venture, which will become operational in January 2008 as Universal Studio Canal Video, will also distribute new films from Studio Canal and titles from the French film company's 5,000 strong library.

BTW, Studio Canal does quality work in High Def releases. I have their Les Pacte des Loups (Brotherhood of the Wolves). Also Terminator 2 and Total Recall - which I could bought for less on BD, but went with the HD DVD imports because the Studio Canal releases received much higher reviews than the US BDs.

AS BD is leading HD-DVD 3 to 1 in Europe this can only help BD in Europe more. As the 3rd largest catalog studio in Europe for the BDA this can only be considered good news.

Remember when the HD DVD camp was claiming they were ahead in Europe? I guess that went the way of the claims that Blu-ray discs would scratch easily because the hard coating wouldn't work.

Remember when the HD DVD camp was claiming they were ahead in Europe?

No, the PS3 has made a temporary boost in BD discs sales there as well. But from this article, HD DVD standalone players have 70% of the market in Europe, which bodes well for the HD DVD long term strategy. :)

I guess that went the way of the claims that Blu-ray discs would scratch easily because the hard coating wouldn't work.
:confused:

Don't remember anyone ever claiming the hard coating wouldn't provide great scratch protection. But from the AVS Insider's Forum today, it turns out it's the hard coating that is limiting the amount of data they can fit on a disc and causing the low yield rate -

So essentially a 25 GB disc was really only a 22-23 GB disc for it to be manufactured with any efficiency. As for BD50 yields, the same applies with them as well when it comes to the data on the disc. They try and keep the data 10-15% below the max space (42-45 GB) for the same reasons, but the overall yields on the BD50’s weren’t that good, but they couldn’t supply actual numbers to me. So as with BD25’s, the actual space on BD50’s is in the neighborhood of 42-45GB, which is still a ton of data, but also isn’t 50GB either. He also confirmed that my information was correct when the disc is close to capacity that the yields drop fast because of the way the clear coat reacts around the edges of the discs.

The process is pretty easy to understand if you watch it in person. It simply involves spinning the disc and then putting a drop of resin on the inner circle of the disc and letting the centrifugal force carry it smoothly across the disc to the outer edge. Now the above works in theory but in practice you have a problem. As the material spins and moves out to the outside, when it gets to the edge, it starts to “pool” there and becomes thicker as it has no place to go. And likewise, it thins out on the inner circle as the material is pulled away by centrifugal force. To compensate, one can simply choose to not use the outer portion of the disc where the specs are violated as far as thickness with resulting reduced capacity.

Still grasping that "dedicated player" bit, eh? Fact is, a lot of PS3s are used as players only, or mostly. And stories abound about Blu-ray dedicated player sales increasing or even surpassing HD DVD players in some areas. We'll see soon enough. It's title sales that count. Artificially deciding most of the devices that play Blu-ray discs don't count hardly changes anything.

PS3s giving a "temporary boost" is an interesting idea. Grasping again. We'll see soon enough. Studio alignments will determine where this goes.

I'm sure a search will turn up a few posts on the coating.

Still grasping that "dedicated player" bit, eh? Fact is, a lot of PS3s are used as players only, or mostly. And stories abound about Blu-ray dedicated player sales increasing or even surpassing HD DVD players in some areas. We'll see soon enough. It's title sales that count. Artificially deciding most of the devices that play Blu-ray discs don't count hardly changes anything.

PS3s giving a "temporary boost" is an interesting idea. Grasping again. We'll see soon enough. Studio alignments will determine where this goes.

I'm sure a search will turn up a few posts on the coating.

I wouldn't call it grasping. That was Sony's strategy. A stop gap. Not saying it's bad or good.

That's just it "stories. NPD numbers still show HD-DVD stand-alones greatly outselling BD stand-alones, but that has shrunk since the introduction of the 499 sony and the 799 samsung get it for 500. Warner said the same thing. It is stand alones that wikll eventually win it.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts