Study: HD DVD's Exit Hasn't Helped Blu-ray

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Study: HD DVD's Exit Hasn't Helped Blu-ray

News & CommentaryStudy: HD DVD's Exit Hasn't Helped Blu-ray
NPD Group says sales fell from January to February.
By
Swanni
Washington, D.C. (May 1, 2008) -- Despite the end of the format war, Blu-ray standalone players have not generated much enthusiasm from consumers.

That's according to a new report from the NPD Group, as reported by the Associated Press.

Toshiba announced in mid-February that it would pull the plug on HD DVD at the end of March, ceding victory to Blu-ray in the high-def disc format war.

But NPD says sales of standalone Blu-ray players (not including Play Station 3 consoles) fell 40 percent from January to February in the U.S. Blu-ray sales increased two percent from February to March. (The AP reports that NPD did not release exact sales numbers.)

Not surprising, we all know most HDDVD only people enjoyed the cost difference and that wont change until the $399 avg comes down.

The only thing HDDVD's exit really gave us is studio support, which will hopefully lead to better sales and some lower prices on players. I think now that all studios are in the game, some people will get into players soon.

Here's another:

Blu-ray player sales sink as 2008 begins... except for Sony's PlayStation 3 - Engadget HD

It will take 12-18 months until sales take off.....

There are no price incentives right now, and few are buying. You MIGHT get a few people spending those stimulus checks, but the affluent who might use it for something "frivolous" aren't getting the checks. The rest are going to use it to fill their gas tanks or pay the mortgage....

Last edited:
Bingo! My entry price is the same as it always was: ~$250. If there are any remaining compatiblity issues, I'd like to see them resolved as well. Is that the "2.0 standard" I'm looking for...?

Bingo! My entry price is the same as it always was: ~$250. If there are any remaining compatiblity issues, I'd like to see them resolved as well. Is that the "2.0 standard" I'm looking for...?

Im hoping/thinking youll have a $250 2.0 player in 11-08.

My price point is $200, I already have HD-DVD for under $100 and lots of cheap HD-DVD movies to watch, so I will wait on BD to get real on price, I don't think they can pull a "shortage" excuse on BD players as a reason for high prices.

But we dont want a PS3 :) I have no desire to play PS3 games. I boughtmy HD-DVD player well before the downfall at $170, get me a player at that price and i'll jump on board. Until then they geeks can play with their toys alone.

I understand your point of view except that the PS3 is a quite good Blu-ray player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)