Stupid question - How do you use an external antenna with Directv?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

john262

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2005
I have searched the D* website and can't seem to find an answer to this simple question. You connect an external antenna to the external antenna in jack on the back of the converter box. Then what? How do you tune in over the air channels with the D* box once the antenna is connected to it?

Thanks.

I have searched the D* website and can't seem to find an answer to this simple question. You connect an external antenna to the external antenna in jack on the back of the converter box. Then what? How do you tune in over the air channels with the D* box once the antenna is connected to it?

Thanks.
It depends on what type of receiver you have. If it's a standard definition box all it does is allow for a passthrough of an OTA signal. That way if you have your TV connected to the box via coax you can have the box either output on ch 3 or 4 the DirecTV signal or your over the air channels. The box will not tune in channels via the OTA antenna port.

If you have a HD box then the box can tune in digital/ATSC channels via the box.

It depends on what type of receiver you have. If it's a standard definition box all it does is allow for a passthrough of an OTA signal. That way if you have your TV connected to the box via coax you can have the box either output on ch 3 or 4 the DirecTV signal or your over the air channels. The box will not tune in channels via the OTA antenna port.

If you have a HD box then the box can tune in digital/ATSC channels via the box.

That is assuming it's either an H20 or HR20 dvr. The other hd boxes don't have ota tuners in them.

That is assuming it's either an H20 or HR20 dvr. The other hd boxes don't have ota tuners in them.
BTW, there are older boxes then the H20 or HR20 that do have ASTC tuners in them, that's why I didn't start a long list of them.

Thank you. That's all I need to know. In my case my box is connected via an S video cable. So I guess I will just connect the antenna to my TV's antenna jack and then use the TV's remote to toggle between the tuner and the video mode.

Thank you. That's all I need to know. In my case my box is connected via an S video cable. So I guess I will just connect the antenna to my TV's antenna jack and then use the TV's remote to toggle between the tuner and the video mode.

John,

That is where many folks end up. If your set does not have the ASTC tuner you will need to go through one of those. Newer sets have on built in. I think they may actually turn off the analog this time,

Joe

BTW, there are older boxes then the H20 or HR20 that do have ASTC tuners in them, that's why I didn't start a long list of them.

Good point. I was thinking only of the Directv branded boxes. I should know better, I have a Sony HD200 and an LG3200a!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)