Sub zero C-band actuator usage help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rrob311

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
New England
I have my 7.5' SAMI dish setup with an actuator. The other morning it was pretty cold and I tried to move the dish to another satellite. My DSR922 rebooted. I believe this was from too much current. It is very cold and humid where I live because I am in a valley by a river. Is there anything I should use on the actuator to prevent it from freezing up? Every night the moisture in the air freezes onto everything. I believe the actuator froze to the rubber sleeve. It is 25 this morning and it is only going to get colder. I would like to be able to move the dish when it is 0 out but don't want to damage the motor or the receiver. Any tips would be much appreciated.

You might try spaying the shaft with some white lithium grease and also you might open the the gear box to see if you have any moisture inside it.

For the kind of protection you are trying to attempt, you might experiment with electric pipe Warmer's. I use them to wrap my well pipe and I use another one to wrap the water pipe that rises from the ground into the house. They kick on at 35 deg and are not hot enough to damage anything, except probably plastic. Just a thought. I have never experienced colder temperatures here lower than 14 deg and they have been in place for more than 10 years.

The original install of my Winegard dish with a Von Weise mover had a bellows seal on the extended part of the arm. That kept snow and ice from sticking to that movable piece, but they don't last forever and when that one finally fell apart I never did replace it. You might check with some industrial supply place like Granger or McMaster Carr to see if you can find something like that that might work to shield the arm from moisture.

My C band dish is out of service but still up in the air. When I was using it (12') it would move even in interior Alaska cold at 40 below or colder. Disassemble everything, remove the automotive grease and re-lube with arctic grade synthetic grease, and it's off to te races. I have an 18" acuator.

We do the same thing with vehicles.

Arcticracer, that's probably the best. If in need of a 'quick fix:
BITD a few around here wrapped their actuators with heat tape (The new style, at that time, that can be wrapped over itself, and cut to any length.) Then covered that with some insulation and poly.
(I remember for 2 solid weeks, back then, the highest high was -20, lowest low -48 and always at least -40 every night)

Yeah I would think in less extreme temps even below zero, heat tape would be adequate. You should see how standard greases and oils behaves at really low temps.

I would not use WD-40 for a long term solution. WD-40 is a great solvent and was designed, as was mentioned, as a water displacer. Once the water is repelled, the WD-40 attracts a serious amount of fine dirt/dust that will cause you problems. The grease solution is a better long term cure.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts