Suggestions for 60+ inch HDTV

berck

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
Pleasanton, CA (SF Bay Area)
I have a friend thats looking for a new HDTV in 60"+. What are the current recommendations from people here? He is looking more for rear projection and is not interested in a front projector setup.

I'm not exactly sure about his budget, but I believe that $3k will be pretty close to his limit.

Last edited:
I tried Toshiba wasn't overly pleased with their rear projection (too many software bugs).. Sony I've always considered a bit over priced for what they offer.. At the time I got mine the Mitsubishi was the best priced.. No real complaints, it's been pretty good

About 2 months ago I bought a Toshiba 62hm196. I upgrade from a 2 1/2 year old Toshiba 52hm84. The 62 looks way good. It's one of consumer reports top rated sets. I got it for 1700 from tigerdirect.

My vote would go to the Mitsubishi 65831 or 65732. I have the 831. They use a six color wheel. The colors are rich and vibrant and the blacks are black. I have a sony XBR3 in my bedroom and it is nice, but the colors and picture on the Mits blow you away.

S~

Certainly the JVC D-ILA series should be considered. They are superb, and as 3 chip designs there are no concerns over rainbows or headaches. No moving parts to fail, except for a cooling fan. And can be well within the budget. The first one is less than $2,000. The other 2 come in under 3.
61"
Black 70"
another 70" in silver and black

The place linked has free shipping on these. Sometimes you can see a version of these in Costco or Best Buy. I have an older (720p) 61" version that I absolutely love.

Just make sure you buy the extend service plan/ along with the newer tech comes lots of learning for the industry to get these right, If you can recall most of the standard tvs out there never have problems, its because theru years of learning of the mistake they have reduced the failure rat down to less then 1% , I am not sure what the new type failure rate is but I know its high . I've had a board replace on my 52" dlp already 1.5 years old my friend has had problems with his lcd 2x

Agreed. He purchased a DLP about three years ago and it failed. After going around and around, they decided to refund him money. All because he purchased the extended service plan. I think he'll be doing that again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts