Suggestions for decent FTA system for around $100-$150

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

samalex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Waco, Texas
Hi Everyone...

I got a small bonus from work and would like to put about $100-$150 towards getting an FTA system going. I'd love to setup a 3' KU Band dish, but can someone suggestion a dish and receiver system that might be pretty good within this price range? Also is this sufficient for a motor system? If not I'm game with getting a stationary system setup for the time being if it's such that I can add a motor in the future.

Edit: I found this system on Galaxy Marketing for $129, but is the Omegasat DSB5700 receiver pretty good? Also can it handle HD Video? One of the big reasons I"d like to get an FTA system is to get PBS in HD since it's not available in our area in HD. Also from looking at the lists online of sats and channels how can I tell which ones are available in HD?

Thanks for any suggestions --

Sam

Is that Omegasat receiver capable of showing HD? He's wanting something to watch HD on! I looked at the ad and it didn't mention HD anywhere and neither did the ads on fleabay.

Is that Omegasat receiver capable of showing HD? He's wanting something to watch HD on! I looked at the ad and it didn't mention HD anywhere and neither did the ads on fleabay.

None of the receivers within my price range support HD unfortunately nor have a motor, I've checked every site I can find with no luck. For now I'm thinking of just going with one of the packaged systems with a non-HD receiver and stationary 36" dish, and maybe in the future I'll look at moving up to a motor and HD receiver with more options. Unfortunately there are 3-4 sats I'd like to get content from aren't close enough to use a stationary dish with multiple LNB's, so I'll need to get really good at moving the dish manually which I guess makes for good practice :)

Might I suggest that you purchase a good, quality SD system then add a motor in a few months. Usually motors are available for less than $50 and often less than that on sale. Be sure to invest in a quality 90cm / 36" dish and not a smaller 30". The size difference seems small, but the few extra inches makes a big difference.

Buy a system that includes a quality installation kit with all needed preassembled cables, grounding supplies, bolts, nylon ties, etc. This will save $$$ and trips to a local hardware store where the parts double in cost! Consider buying a receiver that the members own and recommend. Buying an off brand could result in a frustrating experience if the seller wont help and the members have limited knowledge of the receiver functions.

Don't buy based on advertising hype! Most suppliers are only after the "theft of services market" and their equipment often does not support FTA or the functions are severely limited. Saving a few bucks up front is usually not the best approach to having a well built and supported FTA system!

if you want to go as cheap as possible look for a dish and motor combo package....then buy a used receiver on ebay....an old pansat or coolsat would work fine for your needs and you can probably get one for under 50 bucks....i would sell you one of my old ones but shipping would probably be more than the receiver is worth....

Go over your budget just a little! ;)

You can buy a OpenBox (HD receiver) receiver on Ebay for $130 shipped and a SG2100 or SG6000 motor for $50 shipped. I would search for a Primestar dish or something similiar and use that. If the lnbf will not work for FTA and you need a Ku lnbf then for $8.99 shipped the DMX521 or the new ESX521 for $9.25 shipped is out there.

Or you could also grab a BUD if you have the room. The DMX741 lnbf will do c and Ku band and it runs $24.99 shipped on Ebay. If you have a mini BUD then a scaler ring for $9.99 shipped is out there and will work with the DMX741 or a C band lnbf like the new ESX211 for about $23 shipped. To move the BUD the VBox X is out there for $29.99 shipped and will get the BUD pointed the right way.

Coax is available at places like Lowe's but if you need a spool then Ebay might be the place.

I do not know if I deserve a WS International or a Ebay T-shirt after all that! :D

if you want to go as cheap as possible look for a dish and motor combo package....then buy a used receiver on ebay....an old pansat or coolsat would work fine for your needs and you can probably get one for under 50 bucks....i would sell you one of my old ones but shipping would probably be more than the receiver is worth....

Yeah I have a Coolsat 6000 and a couple of Pansat 3500SDs and they are great! :up

However I would go the opposite way and skimp (financially that is) on the dish and spend more on the receiver. It just amazes me on how many more channels I receive with the OpenBox instead of the Coolsat and Pansats! The AZBox will get even more (4:2:2) but it is more money and not as "idiot proof" as the OpenBox.

Your avatar of the trash-80 means you have been around the block a couple of times :).

Scrounge a DTN, Primestar, or Big dish. Then get a decent receiver (I really like my AZBOX), and go from there.

Then trade that old Tandy in for an H-8 !!!

Based on MY 'beginner' experiences I would recommend the following:
1) Get a motor. That's more important to me than dish size. It's easier to aim a motorized dish than it is aim a stationary dish. To me a 30" dish with a motor is better than a larger dish & the money's about the same.

2) Right now, most of the sports wild feeds seem to be HD. So the Openbox suggestion is the way to go.

3) If you can't spend for the Openbox, you might be able to snag a Coolsat 8000 or 8100 cheap ($50 or $60). While they don't blindscan, they are great for manual scanning. I've had good luck slaving one of these off of a CS4000 (I got for less than $20) for the times when I've need to BS.

To me a 30" dish with a motor is better than a larger dish & the money's about the same.

there is very little cost difference between a 30 or 36 inch dish....a 36 inch dish is well worth the extra few bucks if you have the room for it....much better signal quality...

Status
Please reply by conversation.