Status
Not open for further replies.

vandalous

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2004
Keller, TX
Hi gang - I recently canceled my E* account (can't justify the cost for the minimal amount of TV we all watch) so I'm looking to buy an OTA HD receiver for my 65" Mits RPTV.

All Best Buy has is the Samsung SIR-T451. Circuit City also carries the Samsung model and carries the Pro Brand HD3150PLUS.

Anyone have experience with these? Care to share your opinions and or advice?

Thanks for the help! I'd like to get something in time for the NFL Championship games this weekend so mail order is probably out. I'm in the Sacramento-area so there are a lot of store options for me if you know of any other shops that carry better equipment than these.

Well, I bought the US Digital HD receiver from Walmart. It does not have DVI and does a fair job. It works great for my local market. I paid $200 for it this past summer but I cannot manually add a channel, it must scan and lock at 50% or better for a few seconds to add. Looking back, I think I would at a minimum gone with Best Buy's $250 model, but really think the option to manually add a channel is a must. If you live within a few miles (30 miles or less) of the towers, I think any model would be fine. If you are looking to DX DTV channels, I think a better receiver would be a must. I can pull in channels that are 60 to 75 miles away with my Channel Master 4228 and a crappy old Radio Shack preamp, but not reliably. My HDTV tuner card for my PC holds a signal better. So I think cheaper is not really better, but anything will work fine for your local market.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2598451

BTW, FOX and CBS football games in HDTV rock! So do the CSI shows. You will really enjoy HDTV on your 65" TV.

OTA HD Reciever

Hey vandalous,

Where are you located? And what is the model of your Mitsu 65"? Do you already have a HD converter in the set itself? I am in Rocklin and based off of where you are you may be able to get HD with an antenna, instead of spending big coin on a set top box.

Let me know!

Thanks for the input, y'all. I ended up getting the Samsung and got it all plugged in and working.

I'm about 58 miles from the towers (95681) and already had a CM4228 and JVI preamp installed for OTA when I was an E* customer. My Mits is only HD-ready so I had to get a STB. I've got all my locals now and they look very nice. The signal strength is quite a bit stronger than when it was connected to my 811. Must be a receiver thing.

Sure is weird to only have a handful of channels again. Good thing I've got my gaming PC to keep me company. Call of Duty 2, here I come! ;)

IL2 Sturmovik here. Nothing like flying on comms killing Jerries at angels 8 with my P-47D.

ota hd receiver

vandalous said:
Hi gang - I recently canceled my E* account (can't justify the cost for the minimal amount of TV we all watch) so I'm looking to buy an OTA HD receiver for my 65" Mits RPTV.

All Best Buy has is the Samsung SIR-T451. Circuit City also carries the Samsung model and carries the Pro Brand HD3150PLUS.

Anyone have experience with these? Care to share your opinions and or advice?

Thanks for the help! I'd like to get something in time for the NFL Championship games this weekend so mail order is probably out. I'm in the Sacramento-area so there are a lot of store options for me if you know of any other shops that carry better equipment than these.

I have an old Hughes e86 hd direct tv receiver and it works great for ota hd signals. You have to adjust the video for 1080 but it works great. I dont subscribe to direct tv but get ota hd signals from a 60 mile radius with my cm4228 and pre am with my 55' mits My point is these e86 receivers are really cheap on ebay- go get one

JOhn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)