Suggestions on ChannelMaster DVR, building a MythTV box, or any other OTA DVR I might be missing?

samalex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Waco, Texas
Hi,

We currently use DishNetwork and have scaled back our plan to the Welcome Package with DVR and Insurance which makes it about $35/month. We really only watch the OTA channels though, so I'm thinking of dropping cable all together but we'd like to look at other DVR options if we do this.

I've been researching the ChannelMaster DVR, and though there's no monthly fee they do charge $50/year for detailed channel guide which I think is available for free via MythTV. But on the flip side a MythTV would cost more to build plus the time it'll take to configure it.

So just curious if anyone else has gone down this same path, and if so which option did you choose. Or does anyone have experience with both or either and can give pro's and con's?

Thanks --

Sam

I believe that they provide TV guide guide data where available and PSIP data where it is not. If only some station have TV guide data it tries to integrate the two.

Hi,

We currently use DishNetwork and have scaled back our plan to the Welcome Package with DVR and Insurance which makes it about $35/month. We really only watch the OTA channels though, so I'm thinking of dropping cable all together but we'd like to look at other DVR options if we do this.

I've been researching the ChannelMaster DVR, and though there's no monthly fee they do charge $50/year for detailed channel guide which I think is available for free via MythTV. But on the flip side a MythTV would cost more to build plus the time it'll take to configure it.

So just curious if anyone else has gone down this same path, and if so which option did you choose. Or does anyone have experience with both or either and can give pro's and con's?

Thanks --

Sam

I believe the Channel Master is a relative of the extinct Dish DVRpal which I have, and it uses the TV guide info guide and I haven't had anyone try to charge me a fee.

Hi,

Thanks --

Sam
A TiVo with LIFETIME subscription should be available off Ebay for $500-700 versus channel Master 7400 for about $400 TiVo would have better support and functionality than Channel Master.

I am happy with my VIP612 and Welcome pack and Heartland or whatever it is called with RFDTV with DVR fee I am running about $27/mo. You don't need the service contract at it's new $7/mo.fee, you can add it on any time you need service instead of paying it monthly.

Last edited:
Hi,

We currently use DishNetwork and have scaled back our plan to the Welcome Package with DVR and Insurance which makes it about $35/month.

something isnt right
Welcome Pack...$14.99
DVR...$6
Isnt insurance like $7 a month?

thats alot for taxes

A TiVo with LIFETIME subscription should be available off Ebay for $500-700 versus channel Master 7400 for about $400 TiVo would have better support and functionality than Channel Master.

I am happy with my VIP612 and Welcome pack and Heartland or whatever it is called with RFDTV with DVR fee I am running about $27/mo. You don't need the service contract at it's new $7/mo.fee, you can add it on any time you need service instead of paying it monthly.

I missed a series 3 TiVo with a 6mo. subscription tonight, I was lead bidder at $6.50 till less than 2 min. it went for $26.78 plus $20 shipping. Even without lifetime that was a good deal. You can still add lifetime subs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)