Summer Channel Moves: Most Sports / RSN Stations Moving

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Why are the channel moves being done staggered ? Why does D not just switch them all at one time ? It seems like that would be less of a hassle to me.
So they can keep both the original number and the new number up at the same time in order to inform people whom switch to the old channel number of the new change.

Lots of moves coming the 30th, plus hopefully some new HD, or at least better HD (mpeg2 -> 4 for the old ones).

July 30, 2008

Channel Name New Number Old Number
Big Ten Network 610 220
FSN Pittsburgh 659 628
FSN Pittsburgh (HD) (Games Only) 659-1 628-1
FSN Detroit 663 636
FSN Detroit (HD) 663 636
FSN Ohio 660 637
FSN Ohio (HD) (Games Only) 660-1 637-1
FSN Cincinnati 661 638
FSN Cincinnati (HD) (Games Only) 661-1 638-1
Comcast SportsNet Chicago (HD) 665 640
Comcast SportsNet Chicago 665 640
FSN Wisconsin (Alternate) 669 642
Comcast SportsNet Chicago Plus (Alternate) 666 668
MSG Plus(HD) 635 624
MSG Plus 635 624

not only am i interested in the big 10 alternate channels, but what about the cbs alternate channels . (used to be 615-617ish or so

these were used in the late 90's when cbs had BOTH SEC and big east football at 330pm

more recently it was used for cbs college basketball when they had regional games

any mention of them?

FSN North??

So FSN North has moved from 641 to 668. I now no longer get the channel. 641 still is listed in my guide (it says "tune to channel 668 for FSN) but 668 isn't in my guide. When I tune it there manually, it searches for signal, but never finds one. Any ideas on what could be the issue? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chris

So FSN North has moved from 641 to 668. I now no longer get the channel. 641 still is listed in my guide (it says "tune to channel 668 for FSN) but 668 isn't in my guide. When I tune it there manually, it searches for signal, but never finds one. Any ideas on what could be the issue? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chris
First fix...go into the Favorites edit list and make sure that channel is checked. once checked, it should show up in your favorites in the guide. As for "Searching for Signal", is it saying that exact phrase or is it saying Channel Not Purchased? If it's the latter, it could simply be that there is a pro sporting event showing right now and is not available without advanced package purchase (MLBEI etc).

If it's searching for satellite, then you may simply need to have your dish peaked.

So I checked the favorites and it wasn't checked so it now appears in the guide.

It actually says "searching for signal" so I assume I need to adjust the dish. I have never done this before with the new style dish. Is it basically the same as with the old dish? Move it left and right, then up and down and find the best signal strength? Any transponders or satellites need to be better than others or should I get them all? Any other tips? Thanks.

Chris

So I checked the favorites and it wasn't checked so it now appears in the guide.

It actually says "searching for signal" so I assume I need to adjust the dish. I have never done this before with the new style dish. Is it basically the same as with the old dish? Move it left and right, then up and down and find the best signal strength? Any transponders or satellites need to be better than others or should I get them all? Any other tips? Thanks.

Chris

That's odd. Your dish shouldn't need adjustment because a channel has moved. Is 641 still active and do you still get programming there? How about your signal levels on 103. Can you post them?

103 a- lists 16 transponders:
1-3 are zero
4 is 20
5 & 6 are zero
16-24 are zero

103 b- lists 16 transponders:
1-8 vary from 47-63
9-14 vary from 49 to 61
17 and 22 are zero

Seems pretty low, I am guessing i should be getting signal on all of them. Preferably in the 70-80's?? I guess the guy who came to install my dish didn't do such a good job.

So is readjusting it complicated with the increased number of satellites?

Chris

For adjustments, save yourself the agony and frustration of potentially making it worse and just call D* and request a repeak. If you are on the Protection Plan, there should be no charge.

But those numbers are low and you should be seeing better numbers that 45-60. The zeros that you are seeing my simply be spot beams that you shouldn't be getting anyway, but with a good repeak, you may actually see those numbers go up as well.

YES will be moving, it will be hard to break the habit of hitting 6-2-2 on the old remote, been doing that since the inception in April of 02.

So I called DirecTv about 668 (FSN North) and they walked me through all of the troubleshooting with no luck. The gal was very friendly and seemed knowledgeable. She arranged for a service call for $79, yikes. I asked her what satellite and transponder 668 was on and she said 101, 1 & 2. When I checked the signal strength it was pretty good, 71-80 on both transponders. I asked her why I wouldn't be getting a signal if the strength was that good. She told me it was probably a cabling problem. Does that sound reasonable? It seems to me if it were cabling, I would be having more problems on other channels, not just one.

If cabling were an issue, I can run more cable myself and save the $79. Thanks again.

Chris

So I called DirecTv about 668 (FSN North) and they walked me through all of the troubleshooting with no luck. The gal was very friendly and seemed knowledgeable. She arranged for a service call for $79, yikes. I asked her what satellite and transponder 668 was on and she said 101, 1 & 2. When I checked the signal strength it was pretty good, 71-80 on both transponders. I asked her why I wouldn't be getting a signal if the strength was that good. She told me it was probably a cabling problem. Does that sound reasonable? It seems to me if it were cabling, I would be having more problems on other channels, not just one.

If cabling were an issue, I can run more cable myself and save the $79. Thanks again.

Chris

Like too many csr's, she doesn't know what she is talking about. The new hd mpeg4 channels are on 99 and 103. With numbers as low as you have, it seems pretty obvious that your dish needs realigning.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)