Super Joey

356B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
Northern California
Perhaps I missed it, but the interview with Dish mentioned the SJ would have 2 tuners and no hard drive.
Having multiple tuners would that allow for PIP on a Joey connected TV? As we know the current Joey does not have the feature.

It was stated that the limited bamdwidth of MOCA (1. which is roughly equivalent to fast ethernet 100mbs) prevents what they can do that otherwise the Hopper system can do. I haven't heard a word about future Hopper productions utilizing "gigabit" MOCA (2.0).

Did they say or mention if you can setup the Home Automation with your IPAD, IPhone etc ? Thanks for any replies!!

I am wondering if you need a Duel node for a Hopper/Super Joey setup on already wired system. Anyone know how its going wire into the already setup systems.. Will it be just change out joey or will you need a duel node?

Interesting, I heard the Dish executive being interviewed say, a Super Joey would do away with the need of a second Hopper........Not for me.
Didn't say it would do away with a second Hopper, it's just another option instead of a second Hopper.

Lots of gotchas with the SJ. The only real claim-to-fame is the tuner integration with a Hopper. No stand-alone capability, no 3rd tuner, no bluetooth, no EHD, no OTA adapter... Have I forgotten anything? I am really disappointed since the SJ apparently has the Hopper chipset. What a waste of a good chipset!

Lots of gotchas with the SJ. The only real claim-to-fame is the tuner integration with a Hopper. No stand-alone capability, no 3rd tuner, no bluetooth, no EHD, no OTA adapter... Have I forgotten anything? I am really disappointed since the SJ apparently has the Hopper chipset. What a waste of a good chipset!

I don't get your point. You just described a second Hopper.

Didn't say it would do away with a second Hopper, it's just another option instead of a second Hopper.
I think the implication was there, at least it was for me.......that's why I ask the original question about PIP. Regardless from what others are reporting the Super Joey may turn out to be not so super......? What do you think?

No PIP.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I am wondering if you need a Duel node for a Hopper/Super Joey setup on already wired system. Anyone know how its going wire into the already setup systems.. Will it be just change out joey or will you need a duel node?

For current Hopper systems, one coax to LNB/switch. Another to a special sort of diplexor that connects with Hopper line for MOCA signaling.

I don't get your point. You just described a second Hopper.

Right. If it has the same chipset, why not use it? Deliberately crippling a product like this reminds me of the Celeron, or some programmable calculators with a shield over the programming keys to prevent them from being programmed. IMHO $10/mo is way too much for such a crippled product. We might just as well spend the $2/month more get a full-function 2nd Hopper. The only thing we're missing is the tuner integration.

I think the SJ is just for those that think a 5-tuner DVR is more important than two 3-tuner DVRs. It's pretty nice how the Hopper system has come together to present such options.

Right. If it has the same chipset, why not use it? Deliberately crippling a product like this reminds me of the Celeron, or some programmable calculators with a shield over the programming keys to prevent them from being programmed. IMHO $10/mo is way too much for such a crippled product. We might just as well spend the $2/month more get a full-function 2nd Hopper. The only thing we're missing is the tuner integration.

They probably saved a buck on RAM.

I think the SJ is just for those that think a 5-tuner DVR is more important than two 3-tuner DVRs. It's pretty nice how the Hopper system has come together to present such options.

Yet every box they come out with has it's own software maintenance load. No doubt accelerating the retirement of the antiques.

I wish we knew if we can purchase SJ after it comes out instead of another 24 month commitment.

Nothing to worry about, nothing to worry about. Here, refresh yourself with this delectable sweet beverage. :dev

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)