Super perturbed....24 month commitment

Status
Please reply by conversation.

andreah1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
Been a Dtv subscriber for 5 years. The past few days been contemplating switching over to dish because of the free hd and the cheaper price in general. In the meantime I had called D and they were going to come this week to install free hd for 2 years. I decided today I didn't want to do it because they told me I had to commit for 24 months. The girl on the phone said no problem and as she's canceling my order says I already have a commitment in place til 9/2011. I was like "what"? We've been customers for 5 years, why would that be? SHe said back in September I activated an R22...true I told her, but I purchased it myself. She said unfort. it doesn't matter, when you activate it, you add on 24 months. Oh boy, hold me back. Told her the dip that activated the new one never told me that and she says they have a script they are supposed to read everytime. Great, so now what? I'm def. switching to Dish now, I'm sick of always getting told different things by the reps. She suggesting writing a letter to the president of dtv which of course I will do but what do I do in the meantime to avoid having to pay that HUGE cancellation fee? Any ideas? HELP!

Will Dish not require a contract commitment too? From what I've read on here it looks like it will be $20 per month for every month you cancel on the remaining contract. So in your case it looks like around $300 bones to get out. Also the only way I can see to avoid the fee is to stay with them until the contract is up. That sucks.

You know, alot of people go out and so called " buy " these receivers from places like best buy or wal mart and not think twice about whether your paying the whole retail value or just paying the upgrade fee for those items. Regardless, the associates at the store of where you bought and paid for the these boxes should've given you some kind of documentation showing whether it's leased or owned. And EVERYBODY by the way is subject to automatic agreement renewels or changes per your original contract with directv if were to activate new equipment (not new-used). Even the employees of Direct have to give in to agreement as well. Just my 3 cents.

Good luck with DISHNETWORK not having any commitments.

I don't see any real reason to pay the DIRECTV early termination fee and switch to DISHNETWORK. I guess you're gonna do it because you're Super Peturbed.

Be sure to check back in and see how many more HD channels DIRECTV will be adding soon.

You know, alot of people go out and so called " buy " these receivers from places like best buy or wal mart and not think twice about whether your paying the whole retail value or just paying the upgrade fee for those items. Regardless, the associates at the store of where you bought and paid for the these boxes should've given you some kind of documentation showing whether it's leased or owned. And EVERYBODY by the way is subject to automatic agreement renewels or changes per your original contract with directv if were to activate new equipment (not new-used). Even the employees of Direct have to give in to agreement as well. Just my 3 cents.

EVERY D* rcvr that you find at a BB ( gone now) or a Costco has the 24 month commitment CLEARLY labeled on the box.
You need to see it in order to OPEN the box, also the Access card is in a plastic sleeve that also mentions it.

Dish has Flex TV. No commitment. And here's a novel idea - when you buy a Dish Network receiver you actually own it. Unlike Directv where you have to pay for the receiver upfront yet you still don't own it and instantly get nailed with a two year commitment.

Dish has Flex TV. No commitment. And here's a novel idea - when you buy a Dish Network receiver you actually own it. Unlike Directv where you have to pay for the receiver upfront yet you still don't own it and instantly get nailed with a two year commitment.

Fwiw, I believe it was DISH's marketing plan that got D* started in the LEASE program.
So DISH did it LONG before D*.

Dish also has the same "scam" (actually not, people just cant read) where you spend $100-$200 on a new rcvr, and its just a lease.

I think the problem is D* Charges $200 to lease HD DVRs, I can see where someone may mistake that for ownership.

But in this case, R22 cost maybe $99 to lease ???? Com'on do you guys really think $99 would own something like this??

Keep Dreaming.

But thats no excuse for people not reading before they sign or activate.

Anybody remember Bus law 101...not law school... just HS or early college intro to law and CONTRACTS?

Both parties intend to enter the agreement (and know about the contents).
Each has a written copy of the contract.
Each has agreed to all terms and then signed with a witness or notary seal.
All items are lawful.
There is some exchange of goods or currency to initiate the beginning of the contract.

And it goes on like that.

DirectTV can't just make up this crap! There has to be an understood and accepted communication of contract changes.

Joe

Last edited:
Ok, first off, I bought the receiver on ebay so there was no big blurb on the box about 24 months...the agent last night mentioned that too and I said I don't even have the box to prove whether it was or not but I have a pretty good memory and that's something I would have noticed right off the bat. 2nd, I know both companies have the stupid 24 month ditty but I remember asking to be sure, that if I bought the receiver myself would I have to enter the contract and the answer was no. Third, I didn't sign anything or say "yes" on the phone because they never even mentioned it while I was on the phone with them.
I agree with Joe Diamond, contracts to me are something entered into with a signature, not just a nod, etc. Theoretically, if I felt like really being a pain in the arse, I could take it to court, there is no proof that I ok'd a contract but likewise, I have no proof that I didn't.
I've read online to make sure you are paying your bill by credit card so when you cancel you can dispute the "leave" charge. I'm already working on that. I wrote the "president's office" last night and I would hope they respond within a few days. We shall see. I couldn't sleep last night, it has me so upset.

Ok, first off, I bought the receiver on ebay so there was no big blurb on the box about 24 months...the agent last night mentioned that too and I said I don't even have the box to prove whether it was or not but I have a pretty good memory and that's something I would have noticed right off the bat. 2nd, I know both companies have the stupid 24 month ditty but I remember asking to be sure, that if I bought the receiver myself would I have to enter the contract and the answer was no. Third, I didn't sign anything or say "yes" on the phone because they never even mentioned it while I was on the phone with them.
I agree with Joe Diamond, contracts to me are something entered into with a signature, not just a nod, etc. Theoretically, if I felt like really being a pain in the arse, I could take it to court, there is no proof that I ok'd a contract but likewise, I have no proof that I didn't.
I've read online to make sure you are paying your bill by credit card so when you cancel you can dispute the "leave" charge. I'm already working on that. I wrote the "president's office" last night and I would hope they respond within a few days. We shall see. I couldn't sleep last night, it has me so upset.
You still didn't state your price paid.
And Ebay has Tons apon tons of D* equiment Lease deals.

EVERY D* rcvr that you find at a BB ( gone now) or a Costco has the 24 month commitment CLEARLY labeled on the box.
You need to see it in order to OPEN the box, also the Access card is in a plastic sleeve that also mentions it.

I looked at my boxes the HR24 came in. There is nothing on the outer box and the inner packing box has some small print about 14 font size on top. No paper work inside stating its a lease either. Access card does say lease agreement but in small print also, nothing that stands out. If they wanted to avoid confusion there would be bold print on both boxes and documentation inside clearly stating its a lease.

Anybody remember Bus law 101...not law school... just HS or early college intro to law and CONTRACTS?

Both parties intend to enter the agreement (and know about the contents).
Each has a written copy of the contract.
Each has agreed to all terms and then signed with a witness or notary seal.
All items are lawful.
There is some exchange of goods or currency to initiate the beginning of the contract.

And it goes on like that.

DirectTV can't just make up this crap! There has to be an understood and accepted communication of contract changes.

Joe

When was that from ?

1920 's ?

Good LUCK with the Court thing ......

What recvr did you say your talking about that you "BOUGHT " on Ebay ?

Very fer recvrs made after 2006 are "OWNED", I don't care where you got it, it's OWNED by D*.

Contract .... Did you or did you NOT OPEN the plastic sleeve that has the ACCESS Card in it ?

DID YOU READ IT BEFORE OPENING ?
I doubt it.

I looked at my boxes the HR24 came in. There is nothing on the outer box and the inner packing box has some small print about 14 font size on top. No paper work inside stating its a lease either. Access card does say lease agreement but in small print also, nothing that stands out. If they wanted to avoid confusion there would be bold print on both boxes and documentation inside clearly stating its a lease.

THERE is PLENTY of TYPE that you can easily see on a box that you would get from a BB or Costco. as a retailor.

No need for them to be on a box that the D* installer is giving you.

You should have signed off on the install ....

The Access Card has the info you can't read , should have read it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)