Super perturbed....24 month commitment

Status
Please reply by conversation.
FWIW,
I just dug out my box from my HR24 and it says :

Attention This recvr is a leased product and is the property of Directv, INC, This product must be returned to to Directv apon cancellation of Directv service or additional fees will apply.
If this recvr has been activated, Do NOT RETURN TO RETAILER Call 1-800-DIRECTV for information on how to return it.
If you are having this equipment professionally installed, do not open the box till an installer arrives.

Btw, this info is on the TOP panel of the box.

I looked at my boxes the HR24 came in. There is nothing on the outer box and the inner packing box has some small print about 14 font size on top. No paper work inside stating its a lease either. Access card does say lease agreement but in small print also, nothing that stands out. If they wanted to avoid confusion there would be bold print on both boxes and documentation inside clearly stating its a lease.
When you take it up to pay for it they need your D* account number.

I'll have to see if I can dig up the box, maybe I saved it...but I didn't pay too much for it...I believe it was under 200, think around 150? Yes, obviously I did open the access card packet, and no I didn't read it..my fault there, definately. I'm not blaming D totally, but like the girl told me last night, when you call to activate they are supposed to read a script to you to remind you that you are entering into another 24 month commitment, like VZW does, etc. I was told nothing, and the jerk I had talked to before I called to activate (from Dtv) said no, there would be no commitment if I bought it from ebay. That's what I'm most angry at, every f'n time you call there someone tells you something different, there is no straight answer. Just like with this hd for life thing, some people are calling and getting it, others aren't. Why isn't every customer treated equally? Even the girl I talked to last night said she's aware of this happening and some of the reps seem to have a script of their own and purposely don't tell us consumers everything. I'm surely not going to court over it but I'm making sure the charge goes on my credit card and I'll dispute it until they do something about it. Unless they recorded our conversation back in September, they have as much proof as I do. None.
Just gets my goat. She did tell me that she thought that it should have been a 12 month commitment but after looking something up said the R22 is considered advanced HD so they do a 24 month on that. Told her I don't even have HD (which I guess doesn't really matter) but she still couldn't help me.

Any dvr or hd receiver is considered advanced and gets a 24 month commitment.

I'm not blaming D totally, but like the girl told me last night, when you call to activate they are supposed to read a script to you to remind you that you are entering into another 24 month commitment, like VZW does, etc. I was told nothing, and the jerk I had talked to before I called to activate (from Dtv) said no, there would be no commitment if I bought it from ebay. That's what I'm most angry at, every f'n time you call there someone tells you something different, there is no straight answer. me.
They could still be more clear on their leases.

And your right about everyone with a different story everytime you call.
Happend last night when I called about MRV.

Update

I called Dtv yet again. I told the gentleman the situation and told him I probably need a supervisor, he said he would look back into my account and see what was going on. The more I thought about things the more I realized that I don't think this was the time that I had bought the receiver from ebay, that was earlier in that year or maybe even earlier than that. As he was looking it up I told him we had a burglary at our house the beginning of September last year (a great perk of living in the country) and I now remember calling in to have a receiver replaced because they had trashed it. He said that's exactly what it said on the screen and that they replaced it and the cust. service rep I spoke to that day should have never put a 24 month commitment on for a replacement. So, he noted that I now have NO commitment and should I decide to cancel they would waive any cancellation fees.
See what I mean about everytime you call you get a different answer? It's so enraging. I swear they do it on purpose in hopes that you never call back again. Ugh. So, I can now cancel with a clear conscience...but waiting til Dish is installed and activated! Yes, with a 24 month commitment but at least I know it! Bye bye dtv.

on the back of the retailers ( best buy ? ) printed receipt it says to go to Directv,com and read the policy regarding activation....a ruthless ploy but legal regardless

I'm sure it's legal but if you don't buy it from best buy, etc and buy it on ebay or say from a friend, there isn't anything saying to look at the policy online, etc. That's why I think when you call in to activate or change anything the FIRST thing they make clear is any legal issues such as an extension on your contract, etc. I've never had a problem with Verizon Wireless or other companies doing that. Sad that some companies have to be like this, I'm sure there will be issues with dish as well, seems they all try to be slightly deceiving. Just glad to be saving money over direct at this point...and no, we're not interested in sports, ha ha!

I called Dtv yet again. I told the gentleman the situation and told him I probably need a supervisor, he said he would look back into my account and see what was going on. The more I thought about things the more I realized that I don't think this was the time that I had bought the receiver from ebay, that was earlier in that year or maybe even earlier than that. As he was looking it up I told him we had a burglary at our house the beginning of September last year (a great perk of living in the country) and I now remember calling in to have a receiver replaced because they had trashed it. He said that's exactly what it said on the screen and that they replaced it and the cust. service rep I spoke to that day should have never put a 24 month commitment on for a replacement. So, he noted that I now have NO commitment and should I decide to cancel they would waive any cancellation fees.
See what I mean about everytime you call you get a different answer? It's so enraging. I swear they do it on purpose in hopes that you never call back again. Ugh. So, I can now cancel with a clear conscience...but waiting til Dish is installed and activated! Yes, with a 24 month commitment but at least I know it! Bye bye dtv.

So you fortunately for you got out of the commitment.
They told you what was right, they didn't change the story ....

Now this time next year when your complaining about DISH .....

I'm sure it's legal but if you don't buy it from best buy, etc and buy it on ebay or say from a friend, there isn't anything saying to look at the policy online, etc. That's why I think when you call in to activate or change anything the FIRST thing they make clear is any legal issues such as an extension on your contract, etc. I've never had a problem with Verizon Wireless or other companies doing that. Sad that some companies have to be like this, I'm sure there will be issues with dish as well, seems they all try to be slightly deceiving. Just glad to be saving money over direct at this point...and no, we're not interested in sports, ha ha!

First of all, you should NEVER buy a recvr off of EBAY as you don't know if it's under a commitment or not or has any balance on it.

Anything on EBAY is a sale from someone that 99% of the time is in a LEASE, selling a LEASE product is against D* policy as it clearly states you need to return it when deactivated.

I noticed you said one of the reasons why you are going to Dish is for the free HD.

Do you have a high quality, large HDTV set?

I ask because there is a very noticeable difference in HD picture quality between D* and E*. If you have a smaller set or sit a fair distance away from it, you might not notice it as much. But I find Dish's HD to be nigh unwatchable. I was with Dish for almost 10 years and the HD quality got worse and worse as time went by. And they've squeezed the bandwidth down even more since I left.

I just came from Dish 3 months ago. I was told the same thing about PQ being better with Direct but I can't tell a difference. The HD channel audio blips I'm getting with Direct however is very aggravating. Some HD channels have more than others. Watching the Laker/Celtics game now and have had 3 noticable blips in first quarter. I hope they get it fixed soon. Other than that I like what Direct offers over Dish with MRV, HD sports, media share just to name a few.

There is quite a difference to my eyes. Not even close. E* has far, far more compression artifacts in their HD picture. It is very obvious in facial detail, low contrast scenes, high motion reds & oranges, and more.

The average HD channel on E* gets only 60-65% as much bandwidth as the average HD channel from D*. That is a big difference.

I have high quality SD DVDs that have higher bitrates than many of E*'s supposed HD channels.

whaaaa whaaa whaaa D* sucks. Here's an idea! Just cut your service and move on........I assume people think that if they bitch and whine about it something will change.

wait, I work with a guy that bitches and whines about his work and the super passes it off to other people to do so he doesn't have to hear his mouth. Maybe he is on to something here.....hmmmmmmmm?

Yep, squeaky wheel gets the grease, I whined and got what I wanted, unfortunately in today's world that's what you have to do. As far as the difference in HD for the both, if it turns out to be crappy with dish I'll have to just say oh well and be stuck with it for 2 years. We're most excited about finally being able to get out locals, we live way out in the boonies and have been told for 5 years from dtv that "they are coming", yeah, quit lying. We've had people out here with OTA antennas and can't pick up anything so for us I think even though I said the HD was a big point for switching, the locals are the main point. Sick of waiting for dtv. Mind you, I have no problem with most of their programing, just tired of the customer service, I assume it probably going to be the same with just about any company nowadays though.

Yep, squeaky wheel gets the grease, I whined and got what I wanted, unfortunately in today's world that's what you have to do. As far as the difference in HD for the both, if it turns out to be crappy with dish I'll have to just say oh well and be stuck with it for 2 years. We're most excited about finally being able to get out locals, we live way out in the boonies and have been told for 5 years from dtv that "they are coming", yeah, quit lying. We've had people out here with OTA antennas and can't pick up anything so for us I think even though I said the HD was a big point for switching, the locals are the main point. Sick of waiting for dtv. Mind you, I have no problem with most of their programing, just tired of the customer service, I assume it probably going to be the same with just about any company nowadays though.

So, if you could not get locals thru D* or OTA, did you look into getting waivers for the National locals ?

You never have said where your at or asked anything about your locals, you just complained .....

Where are you located, whats your zip ?

Locals would be a deciding point for me also.
As far as HD goes I have noticed when you record HD with Dish vs Direct, the Direct Hd files take up more room. My 1T esata drive is filing up fast. So the compression must be a lot more with Dish as others stated.
I had 150 hours on my 1T external USB drive with Dish and was only 40% full. I'm sure that's why they are able to broadcast more HD channels on each satellite.
I wish I had keep my Dish service longer so I could of done a side-by-side comparison. Unfortunately I called and had it disconnected the same day my Direct was hooked up.

Locals would be a deciding point for me also.
As far as HD goes I have noticed when you record HD with Dish vs Direct, the Direct Hd files take up more room. My 1T esata drive is filing up fast. So the compression must be a lot more with Dish as others stated.
I had 150 hours on my 1T external USB drive with Dish and was only 40% full. I'm sure that's why they are able to broadcast more HD channels on each satellite.
I wish I had keep my Dish service longer so I could of done a side-by-side comparison. Unfortunately I called and had it disconnected the same day my Direct was hooked up.

Depending on when you did this comparison ... was your recordings Mpeg2 or Mpeg4 ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)