super rare off set birdview dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Anole, The center hole of the scalar is 2and 3/4 inches and the ring gaping is 1/4 of an inch. The height is about 5 and 1/4 inch. The LNB is a model 2020 which if I am not mistaken is the same as on the aluminum birdviews which makes it a C band LNB.

Anole, The center hole of the scalar is 2and 3/4 inches and the ring gaping is 1/4 of an inch. The height is about 5 and 1/4 inch. The LNB is a model 2020 which if I am not mistaken is the same as on the aluminum birdviews which makes it a C band LNB.

Hey Lonewolf,

I agree that if the hole is 2 -3/4" and the LNB is the C-Band LNB, it would be a C-Band dish.

The question arises then, is it truly a H-H motorized dish in what we all think of as a motorized dish.

The dish will be more valuable to you and any potential buyer if we can get exact measurements, and better pictures from all angle, sides, etc.

What would even be better is if it could be set up on a mock temporary mast for experimentation.

As Anole said, if you lay the adaptor plate on a flat surface and take a measurement showing the distance from the flat surface to straight edge just sticking out past the edge where the dish would bolt on. That would tell us the angle of off-set.

Then we can determine if the polar elevation plus the off-set would be feasible for H-H movement and tracking the arc. :)

Thanks!

Laying on a flat surface the adaptor plate measurement form the highest angle where the birdview id tag is 10 in. the lowest angle is 1\2 in. the middle is 5 1\2 in. and the plate is 40 in. around hope this helps.

Attachments

• adapter plate 001.jpg
    adapter plate 001.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 144
  • adapter plate 002.jpg
    adapter plate 002.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 135
Thanks Lonewolf!

That helps a lot. :)

Ok glad to be of service. Now I hope that some of the mathmatecins on this site can tell us the angle of off-set. One thing I do know is that it just does not look right for the motor to mount side ways like that. Surely the designers at Birdview knew what they were up to.:)

Last edited:
what the heck were they thinking?

I had a discussion with Linuman on the way to lunch today.
He didn't even flinch when I suggested the dish mounts sideways compared to what we're used to seeing with a Ku offset dish.

Meaning:
- the dish mounts on the black motor mount so it's wider than tall
- the LNB support is on the west side of the dish, not the bottom as you would expect
- I argued it's traditionally motorized and follows the arc without difficulty, on a STOCK mount!
- I surmise this design gives you about the beam-width of a 7 foot Birdview
- side-mounting the LNB this way may give a bit more travel for eastern birds while still getting the western birds (my theory)
- when parked on your true south bird, the dish will appear to be facing about 25° to the west!
- this design may have been to use less expensive materials, smaller presses, or to reduce shipping costs (guessing)

Last edited:
Yep I agree that is the conlusion that I have also come to myself. I guess one could redill different holes for the motor to mount to the adaptor plate properly. Thanks Anole and Linuxman

This is a true C-band dish and this is the dish that I grew up on. It has the same motor as any other H-H mount Birdview dish I have came across. My grandmother just got rid of hers last winter (w/o my approval :mad:) I can remember back in the 90's I use to watch G5 all summer long because this bird had all the good channels (hence the old G5 packages). Then I use to go to all the other birds and watch international stuff. I actually tested the motor 2 years ago with a 12v nicad battery and it still accessed the entire arc.

There is a old building about 12 miles from me that has one of these dishes still on the roof. I will try to get pictures next time I am in that area. NICE FIND and GOOD LUCK!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)