Superdish question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
double-elliptical:

Whatever LNBF you end up using, I would skew the dish (since this is an elliptical one), instead of the LNBF.
That way, you will get maximum performance from this type of dish.
After thinking it over, I have to go with this answer, too. - :up
If the dish is elliptical, and it'll skew, it's never wrong to skew the whole thing.
That's true for one LNB, and it's true if you use several.

As for multi-posting, I was editing a post earlier today, and wound up double-posting, too.
Hadn't done that in over a year, but took responsibility for it, and deleted one copy.
Now that I see others doing it .. today.. and not drinking the same as me, I have to wonder if maybe the server is having the hic-ups? - :eek:

Superdish II Almost there!

Got the dish mounted and painted light green to match the 2.4 M Ku. Considering how to mount the bullet lnbf, when I exclaimed, "What was I thinking? (Hitting forehead with palm of hand). Why not just use an L-shaped unit? So I did, and it worked, at least for the strong TP on PBS 125 W. Saw that the lnb -- a 0.4 noise unit was kinda weatherbeaten, and liked the pictures Cadsulfide sent, one red lnbf professionally mounted and all, so I ran down to Walmart for spray paint. Boy, was I in for a nasty shock! The cans of paint that were 87 cents are now a buck 12!!!! AND...AND they were out of the little plastic stars I was going to decorate the dish with! Ah well.... quick paint job and started to aim. Found 125 quickly and skewed so as to get 12180. No Montana PBS, but really did not try very hard to peak, or receive 123. Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• IMG00021.JPG
    IMG00021.JPG
    298.8 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG00022.JPG
    IMG00022.JPG
    361.1 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG00023.JPG
    IMG00023.JPG
    526 KB · Views: 131
Dish Tilt/LNB Skew

I understood that the reflector face of a dish’s vertical plane should be at a 90-degree angle to the satellite in Clark Belt arch for the maximum capture of signal for both circular and linear signals. Also for linear LNB’s skew it is to keep the vertical pick up element in the LNB perpendicular to the satellite for proper capture of the satellites’ linear polarized signal.

Am I correct????

Attachments

• Satellite123.jpg
    Satellite123.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 114
For Cadsulfide, if you read this thread... I am curious to know which satellite you have your Superdish pointed at, and whether you get high quality levels? Is it a motorized setup? Thank you.

Fafhrd2;

I have one at 74W, one at 97W, one at 101W, and one at 129W. All modded, both the dish and lnb are skewed. Good Q on my Fortec MecuryII, can't get Bio and History on 101W. Russia today, ONN, and White Springs all come in fine and I may try one for RTN soon. I did have trouble last year on 123W after 125W went live with adjacent sat interference, so I switched to a 1.2M DTN dish for 123W and 125W. Did you pick up Research and UW TV ok?

....can't get Bio and History on 101W. Russia today, ONN, and White Springs all come in fine and I may try one for RTN soon.....

I know nothing of Superdishes but I'll be real surprised if you can get RTN, if you can't get Bio/History.

Even with the fairly recent power fluctuations on B/H it is still much stronger (here at least) than RTN on 83W. :)

Hope you can get it, never hurts to try!

Fafhrd2;

I have one at 74W, one at 97W, one at 101W, and one at 129W. All modded, both the dish and lnb are skewed. Good Q on my Fortec MecuryII, can't get Bio and History on 101W. Russia today, ONN, and White Springs all come in fine and I may try one for RTN soon. I did have trouble last year on 123W after 125W went live with adjacent sat interference, so I switched to a 1.2M DTN dish for 123W and 125W. Did you pick up Research and UW TV ok?

Right now I have the dish at 121 W (You have a dish ponted at 121 degrees screen). Rain came in last night and rain all day today, so thought I'd wait for clearing!

What about to mount the FSS stacked lnb alone in an lnb holder to be mounted on a 5.5 feet diam. dish. With this dish size, would be of any difference in performance to change the elliptical feedhorn for a round feedhorn and which one would fit it?

Thanks for any comments.

Last edited:
For Ku band, with a 5.5' dish any functioning lnb would work fine. Of course the feedhorn the dish came with would give the best performance, but with that much collector area you would be good to go with almost anything if it were at the focal point. Furthermore it would be a great dish for additional lnb's. Do a search for Linuxmans excellent thread on getting the whole arc with fixed dishes.

What about to mount the FSS stacked lnb alone in an lnb holder to be mounted on a 5.5 feet diam. dish.
With this dish size, would be of any difference in performance to change the elliptical feedhorn for a round feedhorn and which one would fit it?
If the dish is offset, then the round feedhorn with an F/D of .6 to .7 would probably perform best.
That would include the round feed with the three "fingers" from a SuperDish, shown below.

If the dish is prime feed, with the LNB in the middle and close to the dish, then your F/D is probably in the .3 to .4 range.
A feedhorn like the AF-120 from Invacom would be a better match to the dish.

A picture of your dish would settle the discussion.

Attachments

• pict007750.jpg
    pict007750.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 108
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts