Surface Pro 3

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
Well, I had been thinking about it for a while, and finally pulled the trigger and ordered one.

Anyone else using this device? If so, thoughts?

Also, I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, for those that have the keyboard cover, would you recommend it or stay with the ones I have?

My son has a SP3 with the kbd cover. He replaced an i5 laptop and a Galaxy Note 8" with it.

I watch him. The keyboard cover is essential in my mind. He is using a stylus instead of the mouse and doesn't miss the mouse at all, but I see him writing with the stylus and then using the keyboard in rapid succession. It is like one is an extension of the other. In word, he will type like mad, then switch over to the stylus and embed a drawing.

The think with the kbd cover is that it is always there. It puts the tab to sleep when it is closed. It acts like a stand and it is the ever present keyboard. It probably should have been standard.

This thing is all I thought it might be. Wow, what build quality, and ease of use. I'm very impressed with a very short time using it.

I went with the type cover as recommended, and it should just be included. It's very nice.
I do with there was a place to put the pen.

I have one assigned to me from work. I don't like it. I would never buy that thing myself. There are better ultralight laptops out there. I like the touchscreen HP Spectre which I have at home in the non detachable tablet model but they have the detachable tablet model if you want it.

I've had a few hybrids. For what I want to use it for, this thing is spot on. Not to say the hybrids are bad, most are not.

I have little interest in a laptop with a touchscreen now though.

I love my venue, which is one reason I wanted one of these so much. I gave up a laptop years ago, and have my desktop at the office.

I can honestly see this being a genuine laptop replacement for many.

I am really more impressed with this keyboard that I thought I would be. I almost didn't get it, but then posted here, and did

VERY glad I did.

I have had one since they were released. For the most part I like it:

1: detachable keyboard w/kickstand. Not very usable when in bed or on a couch etc. Yes you can get it to work, but just not the best. Traditional laptop arrangement works much better

2. MS does not have the high pixel count working quite right yet. This is mostly a remote desktop issue. I supposed if we updated our servers to the latest MS server OS it would work better. Right now I can use the remote desktop connection manager and set the screen size, it works except that it does not support my printer. The workaround for that is to apply a patch you can get from MS that enables screen scaling on Server 2008, but then you have to turn it off and on as you go back and forth between a desktop and the surface.

3. The thing still randomly will lose its connectivity to the keyboard/mouse/trackpad (I am using an MS Bluetooth mouse) and have to be rebooted to find it.

4. Battery life not the greatest

5. On the plus side I do like the multitouch trackpad and touch screen for a lot of things, when I go back to my old laptop I keep trying to scroll the screen with 2 fingers on the trackpad and resizing images on the screen.

Well, several months later and I still say this thing is impressive. I find that I use it in tablet mode 90% of the time, but I have a keyboard and Bluetooth mouse that I use when i want to do any heavy lifting.

IMO we finally have a tablet that is a genuine laptop, and sometimes desktop replacement.

My boss picked one up a month ago and is impressed with how much he likes it. He hasn't been a big fan of Windows 8, but the combination of 8.1 with the Surface Pro 3 gets his two thumbs way up!

I am still not really a fan of the kickstand/keyboard. I mostly want to use it as a laptop, and I probably would just go for a laptop instead next time. I use the iPad for a tablet mainly because of the battery life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)