Surge Protection for Coax?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tarheel1400

Original poster
May 12, 2013
Denver, CO
Hey guys. I have Directv and I'm running 2 HR24's and an HR44. I'm doing some upgrades to my home theatre (new tv, soundbar, etc.) and I'm shopping surge protectors, power conditioners. I currently have a Panamax 5300 (which I think is defective and needs exchanged) and the Panamax dealers are telling me I need to run my coax from the wall into the power management system then into my HR44. I'm always skeptical when it comes to splitting or running any coax into anything that isn't directly into the receiver. I've had a laundry list of audio/picture quality issues and finally got my stuff tuned in but it's sensitive. I've plugged it into the system but I notice some pixalating (from time to time) that I don't recall noticing as much when it was run directly into the hr44. So my question is how important is surge protection from your coax? Directv told me the box doesn't have anything protecting it from carrying a surge in the box and up my hdmi into my brand new tv. I suppose I could always just unplug the hdmi from my tv when weather is sketchy or I'm not home but that doesn't really feel like a long-term solution. Panamax told me there was less than 1 dbs worth of signal loss running it in and out of their box but the picture quality does seemed to have suffer a tiny bit and Directv just tells me to run it back to the box. Any thoughts or ideas? Do I really need to protect my box/tv from surge up the coax?

I don't run any coax through my monster protector. It has the slot but I run everything through my A/V receiver before it gets to my tv so I feel alright about a surge. Also if your dish is properly installed and grounded you shouldn't have any issues either. I know a strike is gonna do more damage regardless but directv will cover any damages via their damage claim department if you have any issues

Hutch. I don't have an audio receiver. I know for a fact my satellite is grounded. So you think If I run my coax to my HR44 (directly) and than HDMI into the tv the odds are low anything will actually carry up the hdmi? I don't care about the HR44, I just don't want anything carrying into my tv from the hr44. The HR44 is plugged into the power manager. The only open line I guess would be the coax. So your saying if the coax did carry a surge up and destroyed some of my home entertainment equipment Directv would cover it? I'm not sure how often that even happens.

Hutch. I don't have an audio receiver. I know for a fact my satellite is grounded. So you think If I run my coax to my HR44 (directly) and than HDMI into the tv the odds are low anything will actually carry up the hdmi? I don't care about the HR44, I just don't want anything carrying into my tv from the hr44. The HR44 is plugged into the power manager. The only open line I guess would be the coax. So your saying if the coax did carry a surge up and destroyed some of my home entertainment equipment Directv would cover it? I'm not sure how often that even happens.

You'll be fine to run it direct to it. My play room and master bedroom are both ran straight to the receiver (no A/V receiver in them rooms) and I haven't had any problems. Most don't, we all know weird stuff happens but if one of those weird things happen you'll be alright

Grounding the coax through a surge protector can do more harm that good. Messes with frequencies and such. I highly recommend Against it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I wouldn't run the satellite coax through a surge.

I reconize the theroy of wanting to isolate everthing through the surge, but there is like a 1% chance that something is going to take out the satellite receiver and somehow go back up the HDMI cable and damage your TV.

Get the $7 protection plan from Directv and your covered on the receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.