Surprise SWiM install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

20fan

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
America's Rollercoast
D* is here to add another HDDVR to my setup (2 previous). Installer is upgrading my setup to swim. Was not aware, but nice surprise............I think. Will be able to remove the cat5 cables to previous receivers for MRV/whole house dvr. Anything special I should know coverting from the old 2 wire set up to the swm?:confused:

thats cool they are upgrading you to a SWM setup. They seem to be much cleaner installs (and its nice to have way less wires)

other than having to redo the satellite setup on the existing receivers thats about the only thing I can think of. Oh and remove some of those extra wires you wont need now :)

thats cool they are upgrading you to a SWM setup. They seem to be much cleaner installs (and its nice to have way less wires)

other than having to redo the satellite setup on the existing receivers thats about the only thing I can think of. Oh and remove some of those extra wires you wont need now :)

Yeah, less wires is definitely a WAF !! Install almost complete, he just having issue with bedroom receiver. Thinks he hooked wrong line up outside?

Yeah, less wires is definitely a WAF !! Install almost complete, he just having issue with bedroom receiver. Thinks he hooked wrong line up outside?

That is what it was. Once he switch line outside, all is good. All 3 receivers show up in whole room dvr :) What is the selection for external device in the whole room setup? I'm guessing it is for those with iphones, etc. for access to recordings. Can't wait until I can try out the D* 3D channels on my new Sony Bravia. 1st Sony I have ever owned.

Installer did not have to connect phone line to activate the new receiver. On the HR24, is the only reason for connecting a phone line to be able to order movies and have caller id?

he shouldnt have had to connect the phone line. When I got a H23 he hooked it up and activated it...whoops you said he didnt hook it up. Thought it said he did ;)

but yeah the phone line is for PPV ordering and caller id

If you are going to upgrade to MRV, it has to be a SWM install.

I was already paying the $3/mth and had my 2 HR21's direct wired to my router. Beta method was working fine for me, and thought I'd be running 1 more ethernet connection to the new receiver. Will be nice to remove some of the wires = cleaner set up.

Just checking my set up over the holiday, and It is not connect to my network for VOD. The new line to the new HR-24 comes into the house at the new tv. SWM power supply is there, and from that a line runs to the ird, with no DECA. Does hr-24 need DECA? My 2 previous receivers (HR-21's) have DECA added on. My question is then, what is needed to have VOD capabilities on all 3 receivers? As stated before, I had the hr-21's connected via ethernet cables prior to install of new hr-24. I have read if I attach the ehternet cables to the receivers, I will lose the MRV. Did the installer missed something?

20fan said:
Just checking my set up over the holiday, and It is not connect to my network for VOD. The new line to the new HR-24 comes into the house at the new tv. SWM power supply is there, and from that a line runs to the ird, with no DECA. Does hr-24 need DECA? My 2 previous receivers (HR-21's) have DECA added on. My question is then, what is needed to have VOD capabilities on all 3 receivers? As stated before, I had the hr-21's connected via ethernet cables prior to install of new hr-24. I have read if I attach the ehternet cables to the receivers, I will lose the MRV. Did the installer missed something?

Hr24's have Deca built into them.

To get VOD you need to have D*s "Cinema Connection kit". This is a powered DECA that links your DirecTV network with the internet via your router. The actual box you want is DECABB1R0 which can be found from various ebay sellers at very reasonable prices. (Think of it as the "black case DECA" versus the "white case DECA".) You connect this DECA to your router and the coax end has to go to your splitter which was installed with your SWM upgrade. Or, since it appears that you already have the wiring for your internet to one of your receivers and you also have an extra coax line freed up with SWM you could just put the DECA at that location. You will still need to attach the other wire to the splitter which your installer did not connect.

Your installer must have disconnected your other internet connections since D* says that MRV will not work with the internet connected directly to your receiver(s). You can order the box directly from D* for $25. But, they insist on a $50 install charge for MRV customers. That is why I went the ebay route.

[lang=da]On the camper receiver. I do know that the receivers can ping each other and communicate and I assume D* can tell how many receivers you have connected. So if they can tell one you have any that aren't connected, won't they take that as a receiver off site and hassle you about it?

Is there really an advantage to SWM other than fewer wires if you already are set up with ethernet and 2 lines to each receiver? Seems like the DECA is not needed if you already have home networking. I currently have my home network for VOD and multi-room. The only reason i might want to change to SWM is because the dish is on a detached building here & I may want to use one of those 4 coax runs for a camera or two, but not all of my receivers would be connected to SWM[/lang]

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts