surround advice please

dlts4u

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
Kalispell,MT
A year and a half ago i bought HTIB phillips. bad move,now the dvd wont work altho everything else does. this time im looking for a separate unit incase that happens again it will be only the dvd player i need to replace. As before,i dont have much to spend,im thinking 350 or less.i have been seeing a few in that price . does anyone have any suggestions on these?
how do i know if one a powerfull enough, we have a 1400 sqr ft open chalet home,with 22 ft ceilings.

Onkyo HT-SR700 Home Theater System - 680 Watt, 5.1 Dolby, Pro Logic II

Onkyo HTSR600 Home Theater System - 5.1 Channel, Pro Logic II
OR any other you mite think of i can look at, thank in advance:) Im hoping to send order somthing this week

So, you said buying a HTIB is a bad move, yet you want advice on a new one? or am I reading this wrong?

What components other than a DVD player are you hooking into it?

I really do not think you will be satisfied going that route; look into more complete entry level A/V units; such as:

Onkyo TX-SR505, 605 or 705 (listed Onkyo only to stay within your listed pref) and pick up a separate loudspeaker system. All HTIB are almost total junk.

i was not wanting to get something that had a dvd player in it.in case it fails again like the last one . i have a spare dvd player ,so i had just planned to hook up to it ,our 722 sat..receiver,and our big screen tv. so i seen these that were just receiver and speakers and thought they mite be good,what i need. i will check out the ones you mentioned tho.

There is a nice deal on amazon right now for the 605, $379 for the black one. I'd be all over it if I was in the market.

Another one to consider might be the Sony STR-DG810, it'll be cheaper than the 605 and would just as nice minus a few perks the Onkyo has.

There is a nice deal on amazon right now for the 605, $379 for the black one. I'd be all over it if I was in the market.

Another one to consider might be the Sony STR-DG810, it'll be cheaper than the 605 and would just as nice minus a few perks the Onkyo has.

thank you ,i will check both of those out

possible to use my previous systems speakers with one of these nicer units you have all mentioned till i can get a nicer set??

as long as your current speakers have just the plain old +/- connections yes. If they have some goofy connector on them or they daisy chain then I would say no.

Btw, I see the price on the DG810 has risen on amazon and other places.

thanks, ill take everyones suggestions ,mull them over and try and make a choice this week. looks like im going to have to add another $100 to the budget to get get somthing i can be happy with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)