VIP 722 DVR recording to DVD

Jetmom

Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Here's my scenario. My husband is about to deploy to Iraq. We currently have the VIP 722 HD DVR from Dish. I would like to find the easiest way to download or record the DVR shows onto a DVD so that I can send him his shows to watch while he is overseas. I am open to getting a PC Card or an external DVD recorder. Whichever is more practical and easy. I would prefer to not record in real-time if possible, unless this syncs itself. I just don't have the time to manually record every show. I would rather do a batch at a time, unless I can set up the recorder to do this automatically.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have read through the forums, but can't seem to feel confident in any one answer.

Thanks.

Get a standalone DVD recorder. Run the SD outputs (composite or s-video - and you can even use the TV2 outputs and play them back on TV2 if you want) into the inputs of the recorder. Then press record on the recorder and play on the 722.

Thank you. I will try that. Playing the show on TV2 so that I don't have to interupt live TV was a great suggestion. I did not think of that.

I've been doing this for serveral years between my VIP622 and my Pioneer DVR/DVD Recorder. Since the Pioneer has several inputs, I have an S-video input from TV-1 and the standard composite input from TV-2, then then I just select the input I want to use for recording from the 622. The Pioneer has a hard drive - a feature I really like that is getting hard to find. Right now the only DVD recorder with a hard drive that I'm aware of is a Philips model that sells for about $299 at Walmart. What I like about the built in hard drive is the ability to assemble a group of shows on the hard drive, edit out commercials or segments I don't want, and then burn everything to a DVD at one time. The editing on the Pioneer is very easy, but it does take time, so it might not be something you want to bother with if your main objective is to get the shows on DVD and into the mail.

I will look into that model. I think if I can edit out commercials and get a few shows on there, that may be the way to go.

Thanks.

Just remember that if you record to DVD any on-screen graphics from your receiver will be recorded as well (show info, caller id, etc.).

My thoughts are with your husband. He is a true hero. :up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)