Surround Sound Problems

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

deklof

Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
I have a new installation of the "whole house" DVR system. Main system is HR20 into a Denon AVR with HDMI cables, then into a Panasonic Plasma with HDMI. Everything works fine.

The second system is the problem. It is an H21 receiver into a Samsung HDTV via HDMI, and into a Pioneer receiver via a digital optical cable. The second system works fine for live TV including feeding digital sound from the H21 into the Pioneer amplifier. The problem comes when I try to play a recording from the HR20 through the SWIM system onto the Samsung TV via the H21. There is sound through the HDMI cable into the TVs speakers, but the digital optical connection from the H20 to the Pioneer system does not work. It acts as if the digital optical port on the H20 does not pass through sound from the HR20 DVR. I tried connecting the digital optical out from my TV into the Pioneer, but that doesn't seem to work. I also have a new HDMI cable with audio feedback connections between the TV and the Pioneer for BluRay but that doesn't seem to work either. Besides, the HDMI audio feed back is only 2 channel even if the program material is Dolby 5.1.

Can any of you technical gurus shed any light on this? If I cannot solve the problem, I may be forced to get a more capable amplifier with built in HDMI switching and abandon the optical connection, but I would prefer not to have to go to that additional expense.

Thanks

I have a new installation of the "whole house" DVR system. Main system is HR20 into a Denon AVR with HDMI cables, then into a Panasonic Plasma with HDMI. Everything works fine.

The second system is the problem. It is an H21 receiver into a Samsung HDTV via HDMI, and into a Pioneer receiver via a digital optical cable. The second system works fine for live TV including feeding digital sound from the H21 into the Pioneer amplifier. The problem comes when I try to play a recording from the HR20 through the SWIM system onto the Samsung TV via the H21. There is sound through the HDMI cable into the TVs speakers, but the digital optical connection from the H20 to the Pioneer system does not work. It acts as if the digital optical port on the H20 does not pass through sound from the HR20 DVR. I tried connecting the digital optical out from my TV into the Pioneer, but that doesn't seem to work. I also have a new HDMI cable with audio feedback connections between the TV and the Pioneer for BluRay but that doesn't seem to work either. Besides, the HDMI audio feed back is only 2 channel even if the program material is Dolby 5.1.

Can any of you technical gurus shed any light on this? If I cannot solve the problem, I may be forced to get a more capable amplifier with built in HDMI switching and abandon the optical connection, but I would prefer not to have to go to that additional expense.

Thanks

What is the audio setting on the H21? Do you have both the H21 and the HR20 set for Dolby Digital?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts