Surround Sound Setup for speakers?

ussexplroer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
So I got the denon avr-1707 and on the back is the following.

FRONT L/R A
FRONT L/R B - WTF is this? (Can this be used for a normal B channel to rear?)
CENTER
SUB PRE-AMP
Surround Speakers L/R
Sourround Back Speakers L/R (You can also have a single back channel spkr)

So besides the front L/R B speakers. I need to know about what type of speakers to use. I currently got the following.

Normal big speakers for Front L/R A vintage 1970's I consider them full size for that time.

I have three KLH speakers. One center channel, Two back surround speakers that I used for my older pro-logic system. However, I'm only using a center speaker.

The back surround speakers is pre-built or if not sony from the early 80's speakers(I have two sets to select from). I got my choice. But are they to big? they are not small like normal s. sound speakers. They are about 1/2 size as the fronts. (They do sound great in doubly digital though) But I can plug in the small KLH speakers.

As for the back rear. I remeber years ago of having a center back speaker for some kind of setup. But I cannot tell if it is needed. I did some research and for the room size I'm using and also since it is standard def dvd. It won't get used. Is this correct?

Besides that I'm wetting my pants over this. Wish the bass speakers was bigger. But my big klh woofer went up in smoke and the replacement is a smaller but good sounding pioneer I got from a thrift store.

If needed I can get pictures of this stuff to help. I know people asked about stuff like this before and most point to small speakers for back and such as a set and yes I do have a set of small s. speakers.

Thanks,

Josh

Whew.

The Front L&R - B is so you can use the receiver in another room. My Denon allows me to feed different sources to different rooms. However, the feature uses the amps for the surrounds, so you can get full HT in one room, or stereo in two rooms. I believe some of the newer 7.1 systems allow you to use the LFE amps instead.

Personally, I would use the same speaker for all front L-C-R. You will find that the center is the speaker that gets the most demanded of it. Don't scrimp on center, and try to get them to flow from left to right.

Physical size of rears is not that important, except aesthetically.

okay I was thinking that

I was thinking that about the front a/b. Back on real sterio receivers before my time in the 60's or even early 80's and still to be find. You just had a a/b channel. Sometimes it was a split. on the real high end ones it was two sets of drivers and in the old day. If you didn't put them in other rooms. You would pu them behind you. I was told about the wonderful world of quadraphonics back from the 60's. LOL.

Anyway. Thanks for that.

This receiver also has a 2nd zone setting too. So instead of having 2 rear speakers along with the 2 back surround speakers. You can place those in different room. Get a optional remote and control them seperatly. So I could load up three different rooms then with one sound control. I know back in the day my parents purchased a speaker splitter from radioshack. To change it to three speakers to cover the single wide trailer they lived in. But then I was told that put wear on your amp.

Later,

Josh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)