SVS Ultra Speaker System - Review

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
toppick.cur.png

813svs.promo_.jpg

I have the deepest respect for what SVS has done with the Ultra line, and for this listener, where respect treads, pleasure and relaxation are rarely far behind. These speakers do everything well, and the more time I spent with them, the more I appreciated the way they could get the best out of any content in my library—free of gross flaws, too-obvious subjectivity, or little niggling quirks that grow tiresome in the long term. The Ultra’s price/performance ratio is through the roof, and I recommend the line not only to those planning a purchase in this price category, but even to those who were planning to pay more. I don’t say this often, but I’ll say it now: I could live with these.

Link

I think we should include pricing information on these reviews. At $3350 for a complete 5.1 system, this is a good choice for someone looking for a step-up, smooth speaker system. A $3k system should have no noticable coloration, and the specs seem to justify that.

I generally recommend listening in a good room before committing. SVS only direct markets, but they do have a 45 day return policy with free shipping both ways, so in fact they are offering in-home auditioning.

Still, the field is rather crowded at this price point, and one should compare. Also note that the surrounds are dipoles. You need a room that can support that and also have a preference for dipoles over direct radiators in surrounds.

No problem in the post itself. Just think it is one of those things that people use as a go/no go indicator.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)