Swanni's 10 HDTV Predictions for 2007

Yes Swan's predictions are lame, hell if you read here at SatelliteGuys daily (like Swani does) you would know most if not all of what Swan reports anyways (and usually a long time before he reports it)

However with that said, I must give him credit, his interviews as of late have been good. And I do hope he continues with them.

HD DVD: It's seems like it too late for the two sides to get together. But, from the consumers perspective, the format war ends when a combo player is produced.

So, Sony and Toshiba just have to stop restricting the production of combo players.

Poke said:
Yeah well there is confusion on the part about Direct adding all these HD Channels! All they are adding is "LOCALS IN HD" not national Dish still has 30 to Direct 9 that will not change next year unless Direct gets Voom and some other channels like Food and HGTV.. But by then Dish will be adding more also so really the Dish is still the leader..

DirecTV is adding only Locals because the first two spaceway satellites don't have any national beams (but the potential for more spots then anything Dish has in the air). 2007 will bring DirecTV Spaceway 3 & 4 which will give them plenty of national bandwitch. HD offereings will probably equalize.

I do think he's going to be right on #10 in 2007, unless both D10 and D11 fail. With all that bandwidth D* will finally have the capacity to add national HD channels, if they don't they'll be pulling the biggest business boner in a long time. Now the $64,000 question is will D* put all this new capacity to good use and go back to full resolution/bandwidth on HD channels or continue to put the squeeze on those channels?

Jeff_R said:
Forget about the Voom channels, I don't think D* will add those. However, think about a suite of Fox HD channels. They already have the Fox Movie Channel, now if they made a suite of movie channels catered to HD, as well as a few other channels full of FOX content, it could be a significant package of channels. Think of all of the 20th Century Fox TV programs that there have been over the year. Not just Fox Network, but all of the other network programming that Fox actually owns and sells to the big 3 for first run. Plus their syndicated programming.

Why do you think we haven't seen the "FX-HD" channel. They are waiting to launch a suite of channels exclusive to D*. Swanni can take that as a prediction if he'd like. :D

If this News Corp-owned "Fox Suite" is distributed by satellite (C-band), they would have to make it available (for a price) to any cable or sat company - it can't be exclusive. Comcast gets around this rule for its Philadelphia sports net by staying on land lines.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me. ;)

Brad

Bradtothebone said:
If this News Corp-owned "Fox Suite" is distributed by satellite (C-band), they would have to make it available (for a price) to any cable or sat company - it can't be exclusive. Comcast gets around this rule for its Philadelphia sports net by staying on land lines.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me. ;)

Brad

That is correct, and they would have to make them available. However, if the Voom pack isn't being offered, I'm not sure that a Fox suite would be, either. It would be bragging rights for D*.

I can't imagine that it would be 100 channels, but a nice little suite would be a nice addition from Fox. They have had TV programs for a long time, and a really good libary of movies as well.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yes Swan's predictions are lame, hell if you read here at SatelliteGuys daily (like Swani does) you would know most if not all of what Swan reports anyways (and usually a long time before he reports it)

However with that said, I must give him credit, his interviews as of late have been good. And I do hope he continues with them.
Whats his forum name? (maybe that should be pub info)