Switch from West Arc to East Arc

TLR_Tech

Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
Southern Michigan
I have a 722 receiver with a 1000.2 Dish. I have allot of trees. Eastern Arc would be much better for me. I was thinking about buying a 1000.4 and pointing it east. I am currently getting local channels from Dish and OTA. I'm wondering what problems I may run into if I do this. I hear EA is all MPEG 4 so older receivers (MPEG2) will not work. Could I get HD locals? I hear they are spot beamed.

Thanks

I did this a couple months ago for the same reason--large trees to my West. My HD locals are on 61.5 (Flint) so that was not a problem. I had a 1000.2 + a 500 for 61.5. Dish swapped me to a 1000.4 at NO charge and NO commitment but I've been with 'em over 12 years. If you are in the Detroit DMA I think the HD locals are on both 129 and 61.5, not sure. You are correct that all your receivers need to be MPEG 4 for EA. Hope this helps.

Ed

I think my locals (Lansing) come off 110 and unfortunately are not HD. Another reason to go EA. I do have a great OTA Antenna I am running through My VIP722K to get my HD locals. Can I just put up the 1000.4 and be good. Do I have to notify Dish? Do they need to change anything on there end?

EA

I did this a couple months ago for the same reason--large trees to my West. My HD locals are on 61.5 (Flint) so that was not a problem. I had a 1000.2 + a 500 for 61.5. Dish swapped me to a 1000.4 at NO charge and NO commitment but I've been with 'em over 12 years. If you are in the Detroit DMA I think the HD locals are on both 129 and 61.5, not sure. You are correct that all your receivers need to be MPEG 4 for EA. Hope this helps.

Ed

EA is all MPEG4.

Have fun with the 1K4 dish. I suppose it might be easier from farther east, (I was working on the very west edge of the EA area), but they're not fun to point despite their size. If you decent 119 and 110 where your dish is, I personally would suggest the 61.5 wing dish into the LNB input on your 1K2 dish. Much better signal that way. I also heard about a month back that the 1K4 may be discontinued, but was never able to confirm that. Just so you know

I don't think that they will discontinue the 1000.4 sat dish when you consider they just launched a new sat for 72.7 sat. Besides their whole scheme depends on eastern arc for half the country and the new sat for 77 that will be coming will have a lot of spotbeams for more hd locals. I think once the new sat at 72.7 is turned on for use , that a stronger signal will be had for the core programming. The hardest thing about the present 72.7 sat is to get a descent signal strength and still get 77 sat and 61.5 sat in descent strength as well. Where I am in southeast Texas, you can only get in the 40s on 72.7sat and 50s on 77 sat and unfortunately my 61.5 sat is in the 40s as well. DISH is supposed to launch replacement sats for the 61.5 slot as well. Once all these are replaced the signal strengths should be comparable to western arc dish setups today.

Last edited:
I think my locals (Lansing) come off 110 and unfortunately are not HD. Another reason to go EA. I do have a great OTA Antenna I am running through My VIP722K to get my HD locals. Can I just put up the 1000.4 and be good. Do I have to notify Dish? Do they need to change anything on there end?

You don't need to notify Dish just run a check switch. I also had the biggest problem with 110 on the WA during spring/summer when the leaves are out, worked great in the winter. I'm sure the Lansing HD locals are on 61.5. I had a great tech install mine so I have no idea how difficult it might be to aim. I'd suggest letting Dish do it. Good luck!

Ed

Lots of good info here guys. I am leaning toward a wing dish on 61.5. Can anyone give me a quick summery of spot beaming. Seems like this would take allot of transponders.

Spotbeams can use the same transponder many , many times in different areas of the country. I couldn't tell you how many times and I'm sure that Digiblur could. He knows about all the different spotbeams, transponders etc.

spot beam = local DMA only
transponders = normal sat programing.

Also, it doesn't hurt to call and give Dish a heads up if you change your sats. They do keep track of that and can cause issues later on down the road if they move programing between sats or if you upgrade service and/or programing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts