Switch out 722k for Hopper 3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jtoo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Maine
Hi,

I currently have a 722k receiver hooked up to an Eastern Arc dish, if I were to buy a Hopper 3 on eBay, brand new not activated, is it just a matter of unhooking the 722k and screwing the co-axial wire into the Hopper 3? Is there anything I would need to do to the dish itself, new switches etc? Thanks.

Nope. Not a simple switch out.

Why not let Dish do it all for you, with leased equipment? Monthly fee will be the same. You just have to sign a two year contract.

Last edited:
I'd rather just not deal with Dish in that sense, would rather buy it and do it myself, then activate it. If its too complicated a switch out I'll just keep what I have, works fine, I liked the look of the guide better in the Hopper 3 is all.

I'd rather just not deal with Dish in that sense, would rather buy it and do it myself, then activate it. If its too complicated a switch out I'll just keep what I have, works fine, I liked the look of the guide better in the Hopper 3 is all.
The Hopper 3 is head and shoulders better than the 722. It does oh so much more than have a different guide.

Reactions: HipKat
If it was just a matter and changing receivers, swiping one out and activating another like I would say a 211k or what have you, Id be all over it. The idea of having to talk to dish on the phone, get an installer out, etc, etc just makes me tired haha

This is what I have, this LNB, one wire runs from this into the house, then to a switch, then to the 722k. Would it just be a matter of swapping out that switch and the receiver. Or would I need to go outside and climb the latter and do something else? Keep in mind I dont want a Joey or Wally or anything else

Amazon product ASIN B00P49YTEA

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 6.39.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 6.39.59 PM.png
    77.8 KB · Views: 257
I had the same question and thanks to JSheridan he told me I had the wrong dish for my hybrid lnb. I also like to own my equipment. I installed the correct dish and really enjoy the hopper 3 . Good luck with it !

Another question, maybe silly and redundant so if I'm getting annoying, I'm sorry. But could I buy an older version of the Hopper and use with what I have 1000.2 with the current LNB? Would that be a simple hookup? I just like the look of the guide better is all than my 722 which I find is starting to look dated.

Another question, maybe silly and redundant so if I'm getting annoying, I'm sorry. But could I buy an older version of the Hopper and use with what I have 1000.2 with the current LNB? Would that be a simple hookup? I just like the look of the guide better is all than my 722 which I find is starting to look dated.

Yes you could but it would be a little more complicated. With a Hopper 1 or 2 you need 2 wires from the LNB to a node and then one wire from the node to the Hopper.

Reactions: pattykay
A hopper 3 would be a gigantic upgrade. 16 tuners, speed, apps, Prime Time AnyTime, MultiView and on and on and on.

I can't help but ask, what do you have so much against working with Dish to make your task so complicated and just letting them do it like nearly all of us have done?

Reactions: HipKat
I have always owned my equipment since I started with Dish. I still have my Dish 500 Install box with my plastic compass. The satellite bug bitt me years ago. And I enjoy installing the equipment in my home and buying the latest receivers. No contract and no commitment. And if I get stuck I just ask the satellite guys for help . To me it’s a hobby.

There are plenty of posts here to explain how to wire up a H3.

If you decide to go with an original Hopper, AKA Hopper 2000, just slit your wrists. A nice, slow death would be preferable to dealing with the slowness of an H1.

If you go with an HWS, banging your head against a concrete wall would suffice, as it is still slow and has a lot of “deficiencies.”

Going with the H3 is your only realistic choice. And this is coming from a guy with two HWS units.

I drew out the diagram of how I wanted my HWSes installed, replacing my two ViP722s. Guy loved me. And took the diagram back to his office.

I still recommend letting Dish do it. If anything goes wrong....

Well, we’re here to help you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)