Switch/Splitter question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stucatz

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 20, 2007
Here is my problem...

During the summer months I hooked up a new ku band system for my girlfriends father. He already had an existing c band system with an ancient receiver(still digital though) that was most likely made for europe as it has plugs for s-cart. At first I wanted to simply hook up both dishes with a Diseqc switch so he could use both dishes on the new receiver I got him, however he wanted each dish for its own receiver. Now he wants the c band connected dish connected to both receivers. The old receiver does not have a loop out so I can not use that port to join the ku with a diseqc to the new receiver. I was thinking of then connecting both dishes with a diseqc connect it to the new receiver and then use the loop out on that box to connect it to the old receiver(not sure if possible), however I would need to reconfigure all the various satellite settings with diseqc commands on the old bo:mad:possible can of worms here).

Side note... this old receiver is very limited on TP space and he seems to put new TP's I give him on any sat setting that has space for a new TP. Also this box downloads new TP's all by itself when he changes the dish to a different sat, no idea why this happens....

The solution I am looking for would have to be the simplest. He will not be using both receivers at the same time so will a satellite splitter actually work in this scenario? Look at my attachment for my idea. I will configure the appropriate disqec settings on the new receiver.

Anyone else have some other ideas??

Thanks.

Attachments

• claude_monet.JPG
    claude_monet.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 278
I looked at that page, but didn't post it, because it did not show the splitters as having a DC Block on the output side to the Ku receiver.
Perhaps someone would comment on that concern.?

That is the diagram I go by. I always recommend High Frequency Splitters with One Port Power Passthrough. And me, myself, and I use 4x1 (one port power passthrough) high frequency splitters. With my 4dtv 922 on the port with the power passthrough. And I have 3 DVB receivers on the other ports. Except the ku splitter has one port empty.

Al

I agree with VoomVoom. Safety first. :)

The solution I am looking for would have to be the simplest.
He will not be using both receivers at the same time so will a satellite splitter actually work in this scenario?
With the 4D box hooked to the C-band motor and LNB, it'll probably have to be on during use of the FTA receiver.
The actuator is driven by the 4D box, so it's necessary for positioning.
The corotor (I'm assuming his old C-band LNB uses one) will need to be driven by the 4D, too.

While not impossible, any other configuration where the FTA box controlled the dish positioner and corotor would be very complex.

I agree with VoomVoom. Safety first. :)

With the 4D box hooked to the C-band motor and LNB, it'll probably have to be on during use of the FTA receiver.
The actuator is driven by the 4D box, so it's necessary for positioning.
The corotor (I'm assuming his old C-band LNB uses one) will need to be driven by the 4D, too.

While not impossible, any other configuration where the FTA box controlled the dish positioner and corotor would be very complex.

It is not a 4dtv box, just a regular fta box pointed at 55.5 w currently.

Kinda along the same lines,Ive ordered some hi freq splitters and havent had any luck with
getting power pass on one side and dc block on other.
So my neighbor who was a BUD dealer gave me an inline DC block.
But he only had one and I need another.
Having no luck find one of those either.
Any ideas?

Radio Shack used to sell the inline coax DC blocks, but discontinued them some time ago.

Try one of our site sponsors, such as Sadoun or SatelliteAV...

thanks I emailed both and never got an answer on those.
At least AV replied but Sadoun didnt.

Back to one of my original ideas of connecting both dishes to a 4in/1out diseqc switch to the new receiver and then using the output on that box to go into the old box. Then all I would need to do is reconfigure the old box to use the diseqc switch or I am trying to do something that is not possible.

See attached.

Thanks.

Attachments

• claude_monet2.JPG
    claude_monet2.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 187
Here is a link to our BUD slave kit:

BUD Slave Kit Splitters, Switches, DVB MPEG2 Sidecar 4DTV Receiver ....Great Prices

Here is a link to our DC blocker: RF Voltage blocking coupler s-g104 1-1000mhz

Back to one of my original ideas of connecting both dishes to a 4in/1out diseqc switch to the new receiver and then using the output on that box to go into the old box. Then all I would need to do is reconfigure the old box to use the diseqc switch or I am trying to do something that is not possible.

You can do that if for example you want to use the old receiver to receive channels from the C-band only. Basically, you setup C-band to port 1 on the DiSEqC switch. Whenever you turn OFF your new FTA receiver, the switch will default back to port 1. That will allow the signal from the C-band dish to pass through the switch and then through the new FTA receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)