switch to dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

enricong

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
I have been out of contract for 3 years with choice xtra. I have an HR22 which works fine except the UI is quite sluggish and every now and then I start running very low on storage space. I'm guessing I can call and maybe get a lower rate for a few months but I doubt they'll give me a new box without an extension.

I just signed up my dad so I get the referral credit for the next 10mo.
After that I'm thinking of cancelling and going to Dish soley for the purpose of saving money. I'm guessing I can get some sort of signup offer maybe $100 or more + the intro rate + referral credit with new equipment.
I don't watch sports so I'm thinking the programming packages will be about the same.
I hear the PQ may be slightly less but I'm not sure how noticeable it is

These days a few hundred dollars in savings might be worth the hassle.
Is there anything I might be missing in my thinking here?

Last edited:
If your not into sports, to me, it's an easy decision. Talk to dish and see what new sign on deals they can offer you. You must get the latest hopper with sling plus joeys. State of the art stuff! You will love it. Now if you want to reup with Direc Get the HR 44 a very fast unit. Not as fast as hoppers but best effort to date From direct. I have both systems. Like them for different reasons. Sports Direc. Plus great picture. Equipment, pricing dish. Good luck!!

If your not into sports, to me, it's an easy decision. Talk to dish and see what new sign on deals they can offer you. You must get the latest hopper with sling plus joeys. State of the art stuff! You will love it. Now if you want to reup with Direc Get the HR 44 a very fast unit. Not as fast as hoppers but best effort to date From direct. I have both systems. Like them for different reasons. Sports Direc. Plus great picture. Equipment, pricing dish. Good luck!!

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something obvious like some major channel missing.
I assume the Hopper will be faster and an record more than my HR22.
I actually only have one receiver since I live alone so I wont need a joey unless its free. I use the composite outputs and a RF modulator to watch tv on an old SD tv in my bedroom.
If I cancelled my DirecTV now, I would lose my $100 referral credit. Would my Dad also lose his referral credit since I referred him?

You would lose your referral credit but your dad shouldn't.

But looking at what Dish is announcing today, I think I'd wait for the new stuff to roll out if you need more than one TV covered. Take a bit of reading over in the Dish section.

I was going to wait 10mo to get my $100 credit, but I'd save like $30/mo now just switching to dish now so its cheaper to throw away the credit.
I only have one HD tv in my house. I have another SD tv that is hooked to the same receiver. Since I live alone and it is physically impossible for me to watch both TV's at once, I'm happy with that. But thanks, I'll take a look at what they're announcing today.
Another issue is that I may be moving in the next few months and the site says they may charge a fee if the move is in the first year

You would lose your referral credit but your dad shouldn't.

But looking at what Dish is announcing today, I think I'd wait for the new stuff to roll out if you need more than one TV covered. Take a bit of reading over in the Dish section.

When is the new stuff rolling out? I'm in similar situation. Out of contract with Direct. See both Dish and Direct going up in pricing. Almost ready to go with Dish.

I like my HR44, but the Hopper with Sling is nice.

Overall I prefer the level or service from Directv, but both have problems.

Just to report back. I called and they offered $10 off for 3mo and $5 off for 6mo. Offered to switch me from Classic XTRA to current XTRA for a $1 savings. Also offered STARZ for 3mo but I rejected.
Finally they offered a genie upgrade, but that required a contract extension so I also rejected.

The new stuff is a Wireless Joey (which Dish kinda already has - the new one has a dedicated access point); a Virtual Joey, which lets you use certain LG (& maybe others later) TVs as a Joey without a physical box; and a Super Joey, which adds 2 more tuners to the Hopper while serving the TV it is attached to. All to be out by Spring, IIRC.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)