Status
Please reply by conversation.

cparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 8, 2007
Sanborn, NY
My installer was great! The install went pretty smoothly from what I observed. I now have a pair of HR24s. One in the living room and one in the bedroom. MRV set up.

I realize this may be a subjective observation, but the HD on D* appears to be a little more crisp. I don't really see much of a difference in SD.

The HR24 itself is a very nice looking piece of equipment and smaller than the VIP622. It appears to be very responsive and I have yet to enter any command that wasn't processed immediately.

We have to learn some things for sure. The channels numbers are obviously different. There's no DVR button on the remote. Instead it's called "List". Hey, it's not E* and it's not an E* receiver. I had to look at everything we were recording on E*, put it in a spreadsheet, and make sure I could still record it all and leave a tuner free to watch TV. If both satellite tuners are busy, I can switch over to OTA which is now connected directly to the TV. I never used the E* receivers for driving 2 TVs so that part didn't play into my decision anywhere.

I'm not going to get into which receiver is better or worse, but I have to say I like the HR24. The 2 services (D* and E*) are different. That's all. They're just different. Each has merit.

I know we have a little bit of relearning to do here, but it doesn't look like it's going to be a big deal. For all I've GAINED (we've really wanted a whole home DVR solution for a long time) I have to say I'm happy. I'm also saving about $400 this year and about $3 a month after that.

If you are considering switching, make sure you understand the equipment differences. Take advantage of all promos and discounts. And don't think you're just going to change out some boxes and do everything the same way you did. There are some differences and some learning on YOUR part. None of them are huge, but they're there. Plan your new setup and you'll be fine.

Today is day #1 of my Directv experience. :) So far I'm diggin' it.

I switched a month ago and I have to totally agree with you. Wished I did it years ago. Just posted a situation with D and how they found a way to make me happy.

My installer was great! The install went pretty smoothly from what I observed. I now have a pair of HR24s. One in the living room and one in the bedroom. MRV set up.

I realize this may be a subjective observation, but the HD on D* appears to be a little more crisp. I don't really see much of a difference in SD.

The HR24 itself is a very nice looking piece of equipment and smaller than the VIP622. It appears to be very responsive and I have yet to enter any command that wasn't processed immediately.

We have to learn some things for sure. The channels numbers are obviously different. There's no DVR button on the remote. Instead it's called "List". Hey, it's not E* and it's not an E* receiver. I had to look at everything we were recording on E*, put it in a spreadsheet, and make sure I could still record it all and leave a tuner free to watch TV. If both satellite tuners are busy, I can switch over to OTA which is now connected directly to the TV. I never used the E* receivers for driving 2 TVs so that part didn't play into my decision anywhere.

I'm not going to get into which receiver is better or worse, but I have to say I like the HR24. The 2 services (D* and E*) are different. That's all. They're just different. Each has merit.

I know we have a little bit of relearning to do here, but it doesn't look like it's going to be a big deal. For all I've GAINED (we've really wanted a whole home DVR solution for a long time) I have to say I'm happy. I'm also saving about $400 this year and about $3 a month after that.

If you are considering switching, make sure you understand the equipment differences. Take advantage of all promos and discounts. And don't think you're just going to change out some boxes and do everything the same way you did. There are some differences and some learning on YOUR part. None of them are huge, but they're there. Plan your new setup and you'll be fine.

Today is day #1 of my Directv experience. :) So far I'm diggin' it.

Sounds like you are a happy camper now. Enjoy the Sabres games tonight.

If you want to record OTA, you need to add the AM21 external tuner to one of the HR24s.

I thought about it, but if it won't let me record 3 things at once by adding it, then I can just record locals from satellite and switch over to watching OTA directly through the TV if both satellite tuners are busy.

4 things at once if I don't want to watch live TV from satellite. Otherwise I can only record 1 thing and watch 1 live program (on a single DVR). I know I can record 2 things while watching something I have previously recorded.

We can record 3 things at once and still have 1 tuner open for watching live TV, or 4 things at once if we want to watch something live from OTA. MRV gave us the flexibility to distribute recordings between two DVRs and still be able to watch them from either TV.

And yes, my locals are in HD from DirecTV.

I think some folks looking at making the switch think they can't do on D* what they were doing on E*. And some probably can't because of inherant differences in the way D* and E* receivers work. Some peoplple also have a hard time accepting a change in routine. :) If they just get it through their head that it's different, I feel pretty confident that either provider will work equally well. You have to adapt to the equipment. I think we've made the change successfully. Time will either bear that out or prove me wrong.... but hey.... it's just TV! :)

Glad you are also enjoying D*. I am one week into DirecTV and am enjoying it a lot... My wife is also happy since the RCVR actually is working correct. Now I just need to get the internet part of the experience going and I will be set and from the looks of it between DirecTV, Netflix, and streaming the OnDemand part of DirecTV those long winter nights here in IL will be very nice... CC

I made the switch a couple days ago. So far so good, Install was suppose to be done between 12 - 4 pm, he ended up showing up at 530. he explained he was busy and very sorry for showing up late. He did a great job and was done with-in an hour and a half. Ended up getting the HR24 and another HD receiver in the bedroom. I got my package through Centurylink, So i got Sunday ticket for free for 5 months with the Ultimate package. Think i got a good deal. So far the picture quility is better then Dish from what i can tell. Im glad i made the switch. Looking forward to my first weekend with plenty of football to watch.

I made the switch a couple days ago. So far so good, Install was suppose to be done between 12 - 4 pm, he ended up showing up at 530. he explained he was busy and very sorry for showing up late. He did a great job and was done with-in an hour and a half. Ended up getting the HR24 and another HD receiver in the bedroom. I got my package through Centurylink, So i got Sunday ticket for free for 5 months with the Ultimate package. Think i got a good deal. So far the picture quility is better then Dish from what i can tell. Im glad i made the switch. Looking forward to my first weekend with plenty of football to watch.

One of the best sports features is the scoreguide that you can use when you are on a sports channel and press the red button. Great feature. You can see scores and then switch to that game easily.

Thanks for the information. I am at wits end with the 922 and missing College Football on Fox Sports with this contract dispute. Hearing this kind of feedback will make the decision to switch that much easier.

and if you dont want it to bog down the receiver, when it pops up (red button) hit "exit" and then its gone until you switch to a sports channel again

Thanks for the information. I am at wits end with the 922 and missing College Football on Fox Sports with this contract dispute. Hearing this kind of feedback will make the decision to switch that much easier.

Why do you have the same avatar as Claude and who had it first? :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)