Switched to Directv, few questions on install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

aarontx

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Dallas, TX
hello everyone, I have a few questions I would like to ask.
I called last week to schedule an install a hddvr.

1. I was wondering if I need to know anything before the installer shows up.

2. What should my signal strengths be, and what transponders/satellites should I look at?

3. Also what dish is bigger, slimline or the other 5lnb (i like the look of slimline better, is that the one that is installed now?)

Thank you!

-Aaron

Hi Aaron,
Brand new to DTV (just switched from Dish) as well. Our install went very smoothly. He brought an installed the slimline, not sure there is a choice to be made there. We are getting all signal strengths in the 90's.
The questions I had were more about the receiver and remotes etc. I specifically asked the DTV folks if the receiver (HR20) came with HDMI cables and other necessary cables. I was told no they do not come with HDMI cables - but actually yes they do. Also the remote are switchable between IR and RF depending on your application.
Don't know if this is helpful to you but good luck with the install.
-ML

Some things you can do to make sure your install goes smoother:

1) Have an idea where you would like to mount the dish, based upon you view of the southern sky. Please keep in mind that the dish must be able to see a 30 degree arc to pick up all sats, and a 10 degree vertical arc.

2) Have an idea how your house is currently wired. Where do the existing cables come out of the house? Are there splitters in the line? and things like that.

3) Please make sure that the installer can get behind your TV/Entertainment center. D* recommends that this equipment be moved out away from the wall at least 3 feet (to allow wide butts like mine to get behind there and work :D)

4) Be flexible in your dish mounting and wiring run preferences. The installer will try to accommodate your wishes, but sometimes it is not possible to do everything exactly the way you want.

5) Ask a lot of questions when the installer is there, especially on how to use the system. Don't be afraid to lend a hand if you want, either.

aarontx ,
How are you doing your locals ?
OTA or thru D*, IF OTA you will need to runa seperate line form theantenna to the rec. now, no Diplexing anymore due to the new frequencies being used.
If you get them from D* disregard.

Jimbo

Thanks for the replys.

Got it installed today. Looks pretty good.

I do have one issue though, I cannot view my HD local channel 33, it says searching for satellite in 2. Also, channel 499 bband test screen has the same error message. I did see that the bband converters are installed. Wonder what could be my problem?

Thank you for the help!

-aaron

You want to see searching for sat on channel 499. That means the test and bbands are working. Not sure about the Local Channel. Call Directv and have them re-authorize your receivers. Mention the error number for the auto attendant and it can auto hit your boxes.

Thanks for the replys.

Got it installed today. Looks pretty good.

I do have one issue though, I cannot view my HD local channel 33, it says searching for satellite in 2. Also, channel 499 bband test screen has the same error message. I did see that the bband converters are installed. Wonder what could be my problem?

Thank you for the help!

-aaron

Curious, is channel 33 in your Favorites list as being active.
You may want to try re running your OTA set up, that might help too.

Jimbo

I have 2 channel 33 from directv. One is A3 3 and the other is DL33

I also have my OTA antenna hooked up and get all my locals in fine. Channel 33-1 and 33-2 show up in the guide and work good and have the program data.

Thanks for the help.

Also, I was wondering if it is possible to output from my new receiver to my TV in the bed room. I do not need to be able to have different show at the same time, just want to have it sometimes. The installer said it could not be done with the hddvr, but when I ordered service, I was told they can do it.

When I ordered the customer service rep said the hddvr can record 100 hours HD and 200SD. I was not aware it could do this, have they recently increased the size of the hard drive?

thanks for all of the replys guys, can't wait for the new channels!

aaron

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts