Switching from Directv to Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jb05

Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
I am with Directv since 5 years and out of contract. I am thinking of switching to Dish particularly for their international programming.
I have two HDTV's and with Directv, I have two HD DVR's (I think HR-21's).
I have read through some posts and would like Americas top 120 programming with ONLY two hoppers and no joey.
1. How to get only TWO hoppers from Dish? I called and they dont want to do it. I see one way recommended here is - order two hoppers and one joey during the installation request and then refuse one joey at the time of install. Would the tech know how to install two Hoppers only at that time? Any other way of getting this?
2. Does both hoppers need to be installed with sling?
3. Both Hoppers should be able to see each-others recording, right?
3. I see some people ordering OTA adapter? Why is this required as I thought local channels are already included.
4. If I go thr independent installer would i get the new customer deal (ipad or $ off) same as from Dish directly?
5. Is there a way to combine New customer offer (ipad or $ off) with southwest points promo and referral promo? - trying to get the best deal :)
6. Do I have to sign up online to get Free HD for life?
7. Can some please explain prime time anytime feature - I can not understand it :(
8. I have 2 TB ext HD attached to each of Directv HD DVR's thr eSata port. Can I use the same HD's with Dish Hopper? Will it double the recording time?

Appreciate your help with this questions and any other info I should know.

Thanks.

I am with Directv since 5 years and out of contract. I am thinking of switching to Dish particularly for their international programming.
I have two HDTV's and with Directv, I have two HD DVR's (I think HR-21's).
I have read through some posts and would like Americas top 120 programming with ONLY two hoppers and no joey.
1. How to get only TWO hoppers from Dish? I called and they dont want to do it. I see one way recommended here is - order two hoppers and one joey during the installation request and then refuse one joey at the time of install. Would the tech know how to install two Hoppers only at that time? Any other way of getting this?
2. Does both hoppers need to be installed with sling?
3. Both Hoppers should be able to see each-others recording, right?
3. I see some people ordering OTA adapter? Why is this required as I thought local channels are already included.
4. If I go thr independent installer would i get the new customer deal (ipad or $ off) same as from Dish directly?
5. Is there a way to combine New customer offer (ipad or $ off) with southwest points promo and referral promo? - trying to get the best deal :)
6. Do I have to sign up online to get Free HD for life?
7. Can some please explain prime time anytime feature - I can not understand it :(

Appreciate your help with this questions and any other info I should know.

Thanks.

1. Actually, Dish does wants to pair a Joey with each Hopper. So, in the above reference, you would need to order and refuse two Joeys. Other option would be to go through a local retailer who are more lax on the issue IF there is a GOOD one in your area. Otherwise, best option in ordering and getting any availalable deals from Dish is through DIRT....Dish Internet Response Team. PM an online member found at the bottom of the Forum page in RED.

2. NO

3.1. Yes. But each one's timers would have to bee set locally.

3.2. OTA is mostly used to get local channels or sub channels not carried by Dish.

4. You should, yes.

5. A question for retailer or Dirt.

6. Not sure...again retailer or Dirt.

7. PTAT allows all the big 4 network local channels to be recorded on just one tuner. The ability is available 27/7, but the automatic recording takes place during the Prime Time block.

People get the OTA tuner to 1. Provide a fourth tuner to record from and B. ( :) ) as KAB said to get the sub channels not all of which are carried.

Free HD for life is not dependant how you sign up, only that you sign up with autopay and paperless billing.

1. Actually, Dish does wants to pair a Joey with each Hopper. So, in the above reference, you would need to order and refuse two Joeys. Other option would be to go through a local retailer who are more lax on the issue IF there is a GOOD one in your area. Otherwise, best option in ordering and getting any availalable deals from Dish is through DIRT....Dish Internet Response Team. PM an online member found at the bottom of the Forum page in RED.
Ok will do.

2. NO
So one sling can work with both Hoppers?

one more: I have 2 TB ext HD attached to each of Directv HD DVR's thr eSata port. Can I use the same HD's with Dish Hopper? Will it double the recording time?

Thanks for the reply.

one more: I have 2 TB ext HD attached to each of Directv HD DVR's thr eSata port. Can I use the same HD's with Dish Hopper? Will it double the recording time?

Thanks for the reply.

Hoppers use a USB2 EHD interface. If your drives have them they'll work OK. I have a 1TB WD My Book AV that I used with D* and now use on my Hopper.

Another big plus for Dish in the EHD realm. You have access to the internal and external drives simultaneously. You can watch or transfer shows to/from the drives with a few button pushes. AFAIR you can only access one of the drives with D* and you have to reboot the box to switch.

You can use the ehd, but you will lose all your stored Direct recordings. Dish will reformat the ehd. The Hopper can see 2 ehd's at a time. You can have as many ehd's as you want. If you have more than 1 Hopper, you can swap the ehd's between them. They are keyed to the account number. If you leave Dish and then come back, all previous stored recordings will be lost.

The 2TB internal HD has 1.2TB allocated to the user. The remainder is for PPV and On Demand.
You can use any number of EHDs with the Hopper. I have 14 (11TB). Limited to 1 at a time on priors.
Only 2 have access for directory and delete versus read and write for say 2 to untested 6 more.
Transfers and access can be simultaneous on all, may get slower with more.
You can only do one read/write/delete/directory on each drive.
You can find file sizes in GB even without a drive attached as required prior.
There are 3 ports but they can be expanded with hub(s), limit likely 7 powered devices.
The USB OTA receiver uses one supplied USB port.
They have more power available than prior models but EHDs should be self powered.
I recommend removing power rather than USB cable, which may cause reboot esp. with traffic.
Many fewer bugs than prior models despite many more features.
-Ken
P.S. Settings and timers backup to or restore from remote. -K

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)