My timers are slightly off, is this just me

bha19

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
usa
So I want to record a show, let's just say Thursday at 8:30 on CBS. I use my guide to go to Thursday at 8:30 and then I scroll to CBS and hit O.K. The timer menu then comes up and and says it will start 1 minute early and end 3 minutes late. I hit O.K., but when I play back the show the ending is cut off. If I edit the timer to end 5 minutes late all is O.K. This happened on my old receiver and on the hopper. How come 3 minutes is not enough?

I'm getting this as well but only on a couple of channels, especially espn. Don't want to add that much more time with other timers close by.

For up to 3 minutes after setting, the recorder will cut it off if it needs another tuner.
At 5 minutes it is not allowed to switch and you just can't get the other show.
The breakpoint for record before may be 1 minute.
-Ken

Yep if you want to get all the over runs on programs and be sure that they record it all , you have to set it for 5 minutes not 3. If you have back to back shows it will always cut it off at the official end of the program. I have this with shows on Tv-land , like Hot in Cleavland and The Exes. So I record one show at the 9:00 time and catch the other when the rerun it later in the night. Both shows go over by a minute or two and I got tired of missing the final joke line of the episodes when it cut off at the official end.

This happened on my old receiver and on the hopper. How come 3 minutes is not enough?
That's your best clue - what are the odds of you getting two different receivers (of different models) having this problem ? Safe to say the PROGRAM (or the network) is to blame.

I think it's just the default 1 min / 3 min setting that does that. I have mine set for 2 min / 2 min and never see any cut offs. Back-to-back timers will always switch tuners and overlap recordings on my 722.

i have had this problem for a long time. i gave up trying to fix it. it is a problem when you try to record two shows back to back.

Is this possibly the way NETWORKS are fighting PTAT

Networks, and cable channels have been doing this for several years, way before PTAT. Keep in mind that the times affect all viewers whether they be Dish, Cable, DirectTV, or OTA....

i have had this problem for a long time. i gave up trying to fix it. it is a problem when you try to record two shows back to back.

yes that's the only time i see it happen. for me it's at 5pm with around the horn, followed by PTI on espn. never had this issue with directv but to have the pleasure of using a hopper i'll deal with any minor annoyance.

Like I said, try setting your defaults to 2min/2min...it can't hurt to try. I never had a problem with those settings on the 625 or the 722. Not sure if it'll work on the Hopper tho.

I haven't seen any need/advantage in setting the start time to one or two minutes. I always set the start time to 0 minutes and haven't missed anything. (does anyone have a show they know of that starts early?)

The only reason I have min set to 2min early and 2min late is to prevent the hard cut on either end on back-to-back timers. using a 0min setting on either side is inviting the cuts to happen, in my experience.

I haven't seen any need/advantage in setting the start time to one or two minutes. I always set the start time to 0 minutes and haven't missed anything. (does anyone have a show they know of that starts early?)
In the past, there was one show (that we watched) that did start early, but only 1-minute early, so the built-in default padding always covered it. I think it was ER, for what it's worth.

Last season, Fox was starting their Sunday night cartoons early a lot -- when they weren't starting them hopelessly late due to sports.

CBS primetime shows start almost one minute early here.

For programs that are on the same channel ... I can't see why the turner cannot start one program early and end the other late ... it is the same video stream ... yes it has to keep and manage 2 files or recordings ... but heck if Dish figured out how to do PTAT, you would think the turner could handle that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts