Replacement DVR order of setup.

KKlare

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 18, 2003
Los Alamos, NM
I am replacing Hopper with HwS, Monday.
Thanks to DIRT for the quick delivery. No Saturday UPS here.
What order should I use for setting up the new one?
This should apply to any change out of DVRs. There is more you can do with Hopper.

(1) From the menus save the timers (and settings, maybe) in the remote.
Back up would be to write them down.
BTW, can you back up or download through a Joey?
Should be able to back up to new remote as well, if they send one.
(2) Do Yellow button + Remote Manager and record TV code, etc.
(3) Unload all shows to be saved to External Hard Drive(s). Allow many hours.
(4) Connect new recorder to dish and take initial download.
(5) Transfer remote settings to new and verify that timers and other choices are OK.
(6) Wait a day or two to let things settle in? Apps may take longer. Meanwhile,
(7) After new recordings work, unload the volatile recordings--those to watch and delete.

So what things have I forgotten?
-Ken
P.S. forgot to ask about when to add Joey to system? -K

Last edited:
But do NOT restore EHD recordings to the HWS. All of mine were corrupted and unwatchable. View them from the EHD.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys

That hasn't been reported to be a continuing problem. They seem to have fixed that a few updates ago. But, perhaps it is better safe than sorry. Put a throwaway program on the EHD before changing out and experiment with restoring it to the internal drive. Frankly, I've had no problem with transferring EHD material recorded via a ViP722 to the HWS, but I rarely do it.

That hasn't been reported to be a continuing problem. They seem to have fixed that a few updates ago. But, perhaps it is better safe than sorry. Put a throwaway program on the EHD before changing out and experiment with restoring it to the internal drive. Frankly, I've had no problem with transferring EHD material recorded via a ViP722 to the HWS, but I rarely do it.

I experienced this when I upgraded from the hopper to HWS about a month ago. I believe 315 was the version on it when I installed them. YMMV

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys

Sigh. Seemingly not fixed for all.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Got the HwS Monday but had to wait on setup for recordings and lost one and maybe more.
But this is the procedure now.

This should apply to any change out of DVRs. There is more you can do with Hopper.

(1) From the menus save the timers (and settings, maybe) in the remote.
Back up would be to write them down.
BTW, can you back up or download through a Joey?
Should be able to back up to new remote as well, if they send one. Did and done.
(2) Do Yellow button + Remote Manager and record TV code, etc. just in case.
(3) Unload all shows to be saved to External Hard Drive(s). Allow many hours.
(3.5) Remove Joey(s) for now.
(4) Connect new recorder to dish and take initial download.
(5) Transfer remote settings to new and verify that timers and other choices are OK.
(5.5) Authorize. Do it at Web site, phone is no help.
(6) Wait a day or two to let things settle in? Apps may take longer. Meanwhile,
(6.5) Relink Joey(s).
(7) After new recordings work, hook up EHD, unload the recordings--those to watch and delete.
(8) Install USB OTA stick.
Get off for a while overnight to let it do a fsck and get a backup.

Some observations:
Why colorless MOCA icon on screen. Haven't seen it since powering Joey and linking.
USB OTA works. Not as many channels as TV. Sharper picture than Sat on first impression.
Joey works in a quick look.
EHD works, tiles are defaulted to channel ones--lost the program ones?
EHD record date is wrong by 6 hours, not the year 2106 as was on the earlier H2000 software.
Wireless Setup came in later, wired worked. WEP DHCP ok, connections failed?
Followed MOCA thread to set Bridging of Ethernet, connections went to OK.
Wizard asks to press WPS button on router. Can't find one on mine.
Reboot time was short despite having 2TB drive connected. Some change here. No fsck.
-Ken

Last edited:
Very important (i learned this the hard way): Unpair all of your remotes before disconnecting your old Hopper. They will not pair with nor, because of that, download your settings to the HWS.

Once you disconnect your old Hopper from the power, the remotes that were paired to that Hopper will be able to be paired to another Hopper. Manually unpairing the remotes is not something you should need to do.

Lucky, mine did not un-pair when the power was removed. I had to reinstall it and un-pair... then they would re-pair with the new HWS and D/L the settings.

I replaced a Hopper 2000 with a HWS. Transferred off over 800GB of programs to the EHD from the old Hopper. Installed HWS and successfully restored all of the programs from the EHD. Did not loose a thing.

Sometime after 4AM (24 hours after authorizing by web) I am getting the tile pictures or icons for programs.
The channel icons were there very early on but the guide had the wrong channel order for My HD Channels.
Not the personal selection. All is now correct. As many have said, it takes a day for the Hopper to get cranked up.
My question will it ever get all the program icons working again?
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts