Switching to Direct - Initial order question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

puttersea

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Seattle
Making the switch to Direct. A couple of quick ?'s. I am getting two receivers HDDVR and HD. I am hearing that I need to push for and HR24 and H24. I won't accept anything besides the HR24, but in regards to the H24, does it really matter? Are the other basic HD receivers pretty good?

Also I read online about getting a referrel from another Direct TV subscriber. What are the advantages of that?

Thanks for the advise.

1st Welcome to SatelliteGuys and to the Empire. Yeah H24 should be fine I always try to get the latest models that are available. The referral if you have a friend or family member that has Direct if they refer you they can get you and them selfs $10 bucks more of their bill for 10 months.

If you want a better chance of getting HR24/H24 boxes, sign up for MRV - most likely, you'll get them then. You can always dump MRV later if you don't want to keep paying the extra $3/month.

I signed up for MRV and the installer tried to bring one HR24 and one refurb HR21. I told him heck no and now I have a lonely slimline on my roof with nothing hooked up to it

Went ahead and pushed the button. Ordered the While room DVD access. I currently have the "other" provider and won't disconnect that until I see the 24's walking through the door. :) So, won't be without programming that is for sure. If I like the service I will be with them for a while so if I am leasing something It will have to be the best they can offer at the time.

I have 5 DVRs and none of them is an HR24. I suppose I should be really saddened about it, but everything works great including MRV and quick response to the remotes. I'm sure the 24s are nice but in the end you get the same programming, PQ, and service. If you can get 24s great but if you can't I don't see what the big deal is.

I have 5 DVRs and none of them is an HR24. I suppose I should be really saddened about it, but everything works great including MRV and quick response to the remotes. I'm sure the 24s are nice but in the end you get the same programming, PQ, and service. If you can get 24s great but if you can't I don't see what the big deal is.

Its always better to be on the most current hardware. As they make improvements to their service older equipment will not support allot of things and will not be able to take advantage of newer features. So yes its better to have the newer models which can effect your PQ plus will not limit your abilities. So just like with any hardware at some point you always have to upgrade it's always been that way.

Its always better to be on the most current hardware. As they make improvements to their service older equipment will not support allot of things and will not be able to take advantage of newer features. So yes its better to have the newer models which can effect your PQ plus will not limit your abilities. So just like with any hardware at some point you always have to upgrade it's always been that way.

This is not Dish Network

There is only 1 box that does not suport MRV which is the H20..... We swap that out for free if you upgrade to a support mrv setup meaning we install mrv not the customer.

I have to disagree about the Newer Equipment is always better.

I am greatful that I stuck with my HR20-700's and did NOT upgrade when the new stuff came out (HR21,22 and 23).
My HR20-700's were far better than any of the ones I just mentioned.

I have since went to the HR24's for 2 of the 4, the only problem is I have to go out and buy my own AM21 for the two HR24's in order for them to be able to get OTA channels. (I like to have my OTA working when the bad weather comes around.)

D* would not send me any AM21's .... they could not access them in the database.
I Ordered from Solid Signal, got my 2 AM21's, cost me $ 125 for them all because D* decided to remove the OTA tuners awhile back.
They also would not ship them to me, so in the long run I paid more for my AM21's than if I would have got them thru D*, all because D* would not send them to me. :rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)