Switching to Directv finally

I know it looks nicer but they have a lot more HD and nonHD channels available at equal to or a better price than Dish Network who I've had for over 2 years now.
The practical differences in HD channel count outside of sports specific and PPV is often in favor of DISH. Make sure that the differences actually exist in the package that you choose and that you don't end up trading one channel you will get for another channel that DIRECTV doesn't offer.

Note also that if DIRECTV doesn't carry a channel now that you want, it is unlikely they will add more than a few national channels for quite a while due to very tight satellite capacity issues.

jeffero, be sure to come back and tell us how your experience went. So far, I have not read a single post, by anyone, that persuades me that I would improve my viewing experience with DirecTv or that I could save money by moving.

On the question of coverage of Speed, Fox Business, etc., yes I would like to have some of those channels in HD. But I am convinced that with the addition of Dish satellite E11 this summer, and Dish satellite Ciel-2 being activated in January 09 (this month), the Dish programming package that I want will continue to equal or exceed that of DirecTV.

Good luck. I hope the bridge you're crossing doesn't crumble under your feet...:)

Time for my 2 cents,

1. I never felt the need to post in the dish net former bye because if I wanted to talk to people dish people here who use to post all the time in dbstalk, like tngtony then I just shoot him a pm.

2. I switch for some reason mainly dealing with feelsing of having to mothball my 721 and my 921 and my 7200, but also I missed NFLST since it left cband. So I count my switch mainly as a equalatral move as far as HD and content with the big thing being NFLST for me. But again I really like football. So that is important to me. But OMG is UI on these HDDVR slow !

Well, posting a "Switching to DirectTV" thread in the Dish Network forum kinda begs for a response like this.

Yeah! Good ridence! I get tired of all the threads started by people switching, like they think it is news worthy. Can you add an external hard drive to a Direct DVR?

well, DISH at least has locals where my sister lives and has had them for years and direct still is not in this area.

I entered her zip again and

We don't currently offer local channels in your area

It's been 2 to 3 years already since DISH got them here in at least SD

locals is a lot bigger deal than a few HD national channels for me and hills block the OTA from the town 35 miles away

well, DISH at least has locals where my sister lives and has had them for years and direct still is not in this area.

I entered her zip again and

We don't currently offer local channels in your area

It's been 2 to 3 years already since DISH got them here in at least SD

locals is a lot bigger deal than a few HD national channels for me and hills block the OTA from the town 35 miles away

That's the same case in my area. Dish has had Billings, MT locals for about 3 years, Direct STILL doesn't offer them. Over the hill in my DMA, though, Dish and Direct both offer locals.

If it's a HR20, HR21, HR22, HR23 or R22 then the answer is yes you can add an external drive.
But you lose the use of the hard drive in the DVR. With the 622 Dish I doubled my capacity with a 500 gb external. With D* you swap one for the other. THe internal becomes bypassed and useless and the format is a little clunky.. THe Dish DVR is a much more user friendly set up with the external. And my current external is not compatible so now I need to go buy another one for D* and lose my archives to boot. My current external would truly become a book end.. to add to all the other useless obsolete junk I now pile out in the shed.

I really looked hard at jumping ship to D* last summer. Mostly cause my better half likes Yankee Baseball :p and YES is available with D*, In HD no less:up, and Speed FNC is HD and FBNews too, also in HD. All BIG pluses in our house.

However the loss of a couple of HDs like Lifetime ( double :p:p), HMC. AND ... With 4 HDTVs in the house, the added costs of buying 3 more additional, if at all even possible, HD DVRs or even just 3 plain HD recievers made no sense. Non at all... I'm not about to go backwards on the other 3 HD TVs to SD dual tuner coax fed crap. Especially on the 2 that are bigger screen... (triple:p:p:p)...

That and the clunky D* DVR external hard drive format kept me with Dish. I just keep sending them nasty E-mails every month threatening to cancel and jump ship, my contract expired long ago, if the don't give me Speed, FNC, FBN, and YES. I guess they too apparently have their own pile of crap in a shed.. I never hear from them. Even Dish CEO does nothing anymore for a response.:D

Unless Direct changes their policy ( I haven't checked in the last 6 mo) of additional HD receivers, Especially HD DVRs I'm still stuck with "Chuckles" and E*

Unless Direct changes their policy ( I haven't checked in the last 6 mo) of additional HD receivers, Especially HD DVRs I'm still stuck with "Chuckles" and E*

What is the issue with additional HD receivers, especially HD DVR's? I've got 4 HD DVR's and 2 HD boxes, no problem getting them.

What is the issue with additional HD receivers, especially HD DVR's? I've got 4 HD DVR's and 2 HD boxes, no problem getting them.
Unless things have changed.. The last I checked with D*[about 6mo] they wanted some serious money up front for additional boxs. Even just plain jane HD boxs. All they would offer was 1 HD DVR and up to 3 SD boxs .

.And as I recall I needed to talk to someone "special" to get them or some nonsense like that. It/they where not available in any of their standard packages. Tell me thats changed and I'll run right up to the D* home page and look again. I would like to get YES (rather my wife would) and a some other channels they offer with out killing my already broke TV budget.

Unless things have changed.. The last I checked with D*[about 6mo] they wanted some serious money up front for additional boxs. Even just plain jane HD boxs. All they would offer was 1 HD DVR and up to 3 SD boxs .

.And as I recall I needed to talk to someone "special" to get them or some nonsense like that. It/they where not available in any of their standard packages. Tell me thats changed and I'll run right up to the D* home page and look again. I would like to get YES (rather my wife would) and a some other channels they offer with out killing my already broke TV budget.

AFAIK, the current deal is you can get a HD DVR for free as a new customer, additional HD DVR's are $199. The HD STB's are $99, of course those are lease fees, not purchase. But as you know if you call you can sometimes get a CSR that wheels and deals. Plus the current rates are frozen until 2010, so no 2009 rate increase and don't forget you can also get a $50 referal credit if you know a D* sub that can get you one.

You might want to venture over to the CE part of the DirecTV forum and check out threads on MRV, something that as someone with four HDTV's might be interested in;)

AFAIK, the current deal is you can get a HD DVR for free as a new customer, additional HD DVR's are $199. The HD STB's are $99, of course those are lease fees, not purchase. But as you know if you call you can sometimes get a CSR that wheels and deals. Plus the current rates are frozen until 2010, so no 2009 rate increase and don't forget you can also get a $50 referal credit if you know a D* sub that can get you one.

You might want to venture over to the CE part of the DirecTV forum and check out threads on MRV, something that as someone with four HDTV's might be interested in;)
I don't know about you but from where I stand... that's some SERIOUS money to change over to what I essentially have now. That's $600 just to get where I am now and then a few hundred more for new external hard drives (at least a couple) just to get the capacity I have now.Plus I throw away the ones, with content no less, I have now. You asked me what the "issue" was. That's a pretty big issue.....at least for me.

Before I go back off "venturing" :) . Whats a CE and MRV? I'll be back, I'm just lurking around a bit while my home (PIT) is off line.

Edit update. Never mind.. I peeked. Unless they provide the equipment gratis, I don't see the solution to the "issue". Besides , I'm too old to be playing test pilot. My "spark gap" days are over. [You old enough to know what I'm referring to?] I just want to sit back now and push a button and get what I expect without any drama. Besides my tech savvy ended with color TV.;) TNX for the info.

Last edited:
I don't know about you but from where I stand... that's some SERIOUS money to change over to what I essentially have now. That's $600 just to get where I am now and then a few hundred more for new external hard drives (at least a couple) just to get the capacity I have now.Plus I throw away the ones, with content no less, I have now. You asked me what the "issue" was. That's a pretty big issue.....at least for me.

Before I go back off "venturing" :) . Whats a CE and MRV? I'll be back, I'm just lurking around a bit while my home (PIT) is off line.

I'd have the same problem if I wanted to go with Dish, a ton of money for new receivers. As an existing D* sub I got discounts on what I purchased, like now if I wanted to add a HD DVR it's only $99 and a HD receiver would be free. Plus my monthly bill would go up because of having to pay all the monthly DVR fees.

As for CE that's Cutting Edge, it's a program were we can download new software before it goes out as a national release. This lets us help D* with finding bugs before it goes out and provide feedback on new features.

MRV is Multi Room Viewing which allows for content from a HD DVR to be streamed via your homes ethernet network to other set top boxes for viewing in the original resolution and audio that it was recorded in, not a NTSC signal sent via coax.

I think its safe to say Directv does have more programming but I am too scared to switch due to one issue which to be is the make it or break it of all providers.. reliability. When I had directv I had to manually reset me HD DVR's at least 3 to 4 times a day, was totally unreliable. Havent had one issue with Dish there for I hold out and can wait on programming.