Switching to Directv finally

I have to say the only disappointment with DTV over dish since I did recently switch was ...... 722 blew the flipping socks off the HR22 in alot of ways. Lots of new tricks the hr22 can do like DLNA streaming and Direct2PC is nice. But over all I still give the 722 a thumbs up over the HR22.

The practical differences in HD channel count outside of sports specific and PPV is often in favor of DISH. Make sure that the differences actually exist in the package that you choose and that you don't end up trading one channel you will get for another channel that DIRECTV doesn't offer.

Note also that if DIRECTV doesn't carry a channel now that you want, it is unlikely they will add more than a few national channels for quite a while due to very tight satellite capacity issues.
This is not true at all. Why do you think they added all of those PPV's a few months back? It is these channels that will be replaced by other channels as they come.

But you lose the use of the hard drive in the DVR. With the 622 Dish I doubled my capacity with a 500 gb external. With D* you swap one for the other. THe internal becomes bypassed and useless and the format is a little clunky..
Just a question of curiosity. Why does one need so much hard drive space to begin with? I don't think I ever went over 20% capacity on my hard drives. Once I watch something, I delete it. Why would one need to keep so much stuff on their hard drive?

I have to say the only disappointment with DTV over dish since I did recently switch was ...... 722 blew the flipping socks off the HR22 in alot of ways. Lots of new tricks the hr22 can do like DLNA streaming and Direct2PC is nice. But over all I still give the 722 a thumbs up over the HR22.
do you ever have any lock ups or freezes with your HR22?

This is not true at all. Why do you think they added all of those PPV's a few months back? It is these channels that will be replaced by other channels as they come.

I don't know where this is coming from either. there is more than enough room to add many channels. it's mostly being used up by PPV like you said.

Because it's HD

Just a question of curiosity. Why does one need so much hard drive space to begin with? I don't think I ever went over 20% capacity on my hard drives. Once I watch something, I delete it. Why would one need to keep so much stuff on their hard drive?

I do much as you say but have a HDD that has a large amount of HD material on it. Unless you have some way to dump it to another HD materail that is a major reason to have the ability to dump to HDD's. Until there is a way to say rip it to Blue Ray Disc kinda stuck w/it on the HDD's.

I wish the OP well with his new choices. The only reason I would switch to DirectTV would be for better HD PQ. As far as real HD programming goes, the two are a wash.

Unless you live out in Qwest territory, neither D* nor Dish is the HD leader. U-verse, FIOS (and lately even TWC in some markets) trump the two satcasters in the number of available HD channels.

When I had directv I had to manually reset me HD DVR's at least 3 to 4 times a day, was totally unreliable. Havent had one issue with Dish there for I hold out and can wait on programming.
No that doesn't happen, That only happens to my D* equipment. Atleast thats what I've been told.:rolleyes:

I record movies, That takes up alot of HD space. 55 hours doesn't go very far. I like having my own VOD thats why I like Premiums so much. Plus I can record my all my stuff on External Hard drive, and use it on my computer and all my other DVR's in the house ,and it never interfears with my wifes recorded programs that are still on my DVRs.

I record movies, That takes up alot of HD space. 55 hours doesn't go very far. I like having my own VOD thats why I like Premiums so much. Plus I can record my all my stuff on External Hard drive, and use it on my computer and all my other DVR's in the house ,and it never interfears with my wifes recorded programs that are still on my DVRs.

True dat... all my drives stay full! Moreover, being a Dish subscriber, you never know when your favorite channel is going to go off air. Ask all the Voom fans how much (more) they would've recorded had they known their favorites were going off air.

I wish the OP well with his new choices. The only reason I would switch to DirectTV would be for better HD PQ. As far as real HD programming goes, the two are a wash..

New to the forum here and was curious as to whether this is 'fact' .... that the HD PQ is better over on DTV :confused: I'm currently (and have been for many years) a Dish sub and was thinking of adding a HD package , along with the 722. PQ is very important to me so I hope I will not be dissappointed with Dish HD :(

I have an HR21 and a 722 hooked up to the same Pioneer plasma with identical HDMI cables and YES Directv PQ is better. And it is significantly better. My GF even noticed the difference.

Not so fast. I once did a Dish HD install for a customer who had a HR21 on site. Pretty much did what you did, same HDMI to TV and yes we could see a difference in the favor of Direct. Just for giggles I connected a componet cable to the 722 and all of a sudden the Dish PQ blew Direct out of the water. It was damn near OTA quality. To be fair we then plugged the same componet cable into the HR21 and could not tell the difference from the HDMI cable.

So based on that one event, I could go around saying that DISH PQ is better, but in reality it depends on the particular setup.

I am in agreement with Jeffero as I am in the same situation that he is in. I have had Dish over a year and a half and after the last five months of no new HD and local disputes in Knoxville, I am making the switch on Friday.

I like the 722, but it is just a set-top to me. Nothing special. I record, watch, and delete; rinse and repeat as needed, so saying that you can add a hard drive shouldn't be your only argument. For that matter, my PC with Windows Media Center can do that, in addition to my 1TB External HDD that I have attached to that.

I haven't posted alot, but the post that I have made have been for information and opinions. Not to get thrashed like some of you have done Jeffero. Actually, on Friday when it is official, I will still post on this forum to give opinions and advice. I will do the same on Directv's forum as well.

C'mon, you gotta admit that being able to set the DVR via Cell Phone or computer is pretty nice. This is something that Dish promised months ago but haven't delivered on yet. Just like "150 channels by the end of the year". Both of which are huge let downs for me. If Charlie gets it together within a year or two, then maybe, I will be back to Dish as they both try to screw you. The difference now is that my price will be 45 dollars cheaper with the Premier pack for a year than the Everything pack that I already have with Dish.

1 VIP-722
1 VIP-211
Ready to leave Dish today.

1 HD DVR Plus
1 HD Receiver
2 Standards in the same room. (1 for the TV and 1 for the PC)
Can't wait till the Direct installer comes over on Friday.

I am in agreement with Jeffero as I am in the same situation that he is in. I have had Dish over a year and a half and after the last five months of no new HD and local disputes in Knoxville, I am making the switch on Friday.

I like the 722, but it is just a set-top to me. Nothing special. I record, watch, and delete; rinse and repeat as needed, so saying that you can add a hard drive shouldn't be your only argument. For that matter, my PC with Windows Media Center can do that, in addition to my 1TB External HDD that I have attached to that.

I haven't posted alot, but the post that I have made have been for information and opinions. Not to get thrashed like some of you have done Jeffero. Actually, on Friday when it is official, I will still post on this forum to give opinions and advice. I will do the same on Directv's forum as well.

C'mon, you gotta admit that being able to set the DVR via Cell Phone or computer is pretty nice. This is something that Dish promised months ago but haven't delivered on yet. Just like "150 channels by the end of the year". Both of which are huge let downs for me. If Charlie gets it together within a year or two, then maybe, I will be back to Dish as they both try to screw you. The difference now is that my price will be 45 dollars cheaper with the Premier pack for a year than the Everything pack that I already have with Dish.

1 VIP-722
1 VIP-211
Ready to leave Dish today.

1 HD DVR Plus
1 HD Receiver
2 Standards in the same room. (1 for the TV and 1 for the PC)
Can't wait till the Direct installer comes over on Friday.

You will LOVE Directv!! Like you said i love setting timers remotely. Also 23 off for a year is pretty nice too!

You will LOVE Directv!! Like you said i love setting timers remotely. Also 23 off for a year is pretty nice too!

Thanks Hitachi, I am feeling better by my decision every second. Especially when I read how so many people are happy that Dish is screwing them. If at all possible, I try not to get screwed, especially by a hick like Charlie. Trust me I live in Knoxville, so I know a hick when I see one.

I'll post my results also. I'm scheduled for a Friday install also. I have a question. Does anyone know if Directv can use the same mast my Dish Network satellite is mounted to on the roof? The mast is still almost new. I don't want any additional holes drilled into the roof and I want the old Dish network satellites gone. So it's not like 'space junk' on the roof. I currently have the dual Dish Network satellites 1 for 61.5 the other at 110 and 129. I actually would even prefer if Directv uses the same cable it's a few years old but still good and they won't have to install a new one. If anyone has info let me know. Thanks.

Also I know it sounds bad getting rid of Dish Network after they went through the trouble of mounting the Dish 500 dish over the summer on my roof and relocating my Dish 1000 to the roof because it was in the yard on a pole. Both of the masts the dishes are on are brand new practically. My signal quality is top notch so I don't expect any change if Directv supposedly does have great picture quality. I don't think it could get much better than what I have with Dish. I hope it's not worse.

I'll post my results also. I'm scheduled for a Friday install also. I have a question. Does anyone know if Directv can use the same mast my Dish Network satellite is mounted to on the roof? The mast is still almost new. I don't want any additional holes drilled into the roof and I want the old Dish network satellites gone. So it's not like 'space junk' on the roof. I currently have the dual Dish Network satellites 1 for 61.5 the other at 110 and 129. I actually would even prefer if Directv uses the same cable it's a few years old but still good and they won't have to install a new one. If anyone has info let me know. Thanks.

If they're using a Slimline dish, the cannot use the Dish mast. You'll see what I mean when you see the dish.

Thanks Skibum, I really don't want any additional holes in the roof if they have to do that to get their dish up. I just read an article also that says Dish Network is being forced to do away with dual satelite dishes in order for people to be able to get local channels. Here's a link: Dish Network rate hike

I'm kind of now debating on holding back on switching to Directv though I really want to. I really do want to be able to watch Fox News in HD along with the other good channels Directv carries in HD. I am actually currently under contract with Dish and was so angry with them I was about to break the contract and let them rant and rave over it. I feel like they're looking for any opportunity to put somebody under contract anyway. If they are now forced to start switching everyone a single satellite dish that's good news for everyone who was stupid enough to allow them to install a second dish which includes me.

The only thing that's making me also maybe be willing to stay with them is the Cinemax for 1 penny for a whole year which will add 4 HD movie channels to my programming. But you have to agree to paperless billing which can be canceled at anytime to. Directv hasn't charged anything on my credit card yet so it's nothing for me to cancel them and I haven't even notified Dish yet. I'll let eveyone know what I end up doing and post it here. Thank you.