Switching to Directv finally

You started this discussion, declared you were leaving, and now you say that you don't know. That's Chicken you know what!!! In my post, I stated I was leaving and I am with no reservation. It took me awhile to get to this point, but now I am here. I have four months on my contract with Dish and I am more than willing to pay 50 bucks to get out of the contract. As for you, you probably should just call Direct now and tell them that you don't want to do it because you sound very unsure. You even put up a link talking about the price hike and you still want to stay, what is wrong with you. I posted in this discussion in your defense and empathized with you, now I am left to shake my head at you. Regardless of anyone's opinion on the matter, my appointment is on Friday and I will make the switch. So what if the grass is a little greener to stay or go, it is your choice and no one elses. Remember that.

If they are now forced to start switching everyone a single satellite dish that's good news for everyone who was stupid enough to allow them to install a second dish which includes me.

Dish would not have installed a second dish unless you had line of sight problems with 129...lower to the horizon. Or, if it was needed for locals at that time. That's why you have a second dish, not because they wanted to, because they had to.

You started this discussion, declared you were leaving, and now you say that you don't know. That's Chicken you know what!!! In my post, I stated I was leaving and I am with no reservation. It took me awhile to get to this point, but now I am here. I have four months on my contract with Dish and I am more than willing to pay 50 bucks to get out of the contract. As for you, you probably should just call Direct now and tell them that you don't want to do it because you sound very unsure. You even put up a link talking about the price hike and you still want to stay, what is wrong with you. I posted in this discussion in your defense and empathized with you, now I am left to shake my head at you. Regardless of anyone's opinion on the matter, my appointment is on Friday and I will make the switch. So what if the grass is a little greener to stay or go, it is your choice and no one elses. Remember that.
Isn't that the reason for threads like this?? Someone thinks they've made a decision to switch, starts a thread like this in a forum for the provider they're leaving, looking for verification of that decision. What other rational reason is there for this type of thread??

If I decided to leave E* and wanted to post at SatGuys about it, I would post in the D* forum because I knew what I had with E* and would want to find out what's new with D*. Why are people surprised about the reaction they get about these threads?? :confused:

For anyone who switches, please report on the HD picture quality! From what I've seen of the SD channels, I'd have to say Direct is worse on many of them. (Which is not to deny that Dish has some that are utter garbage though.) When I was shopping for my TV last year, the store had ESPN-HD on via Direct, and it looked terrible to me. But store TVs aren't known for being properly calibrated, channel muxes get changed sometimes, and I don't watch ESPN anyway...

When I was shopping for my TV last year, the store had ESPN-HD on via Direct, and it looked terrible to me.

FYI, unless you looked after they moved ESPN-HD to DirecTV11 and switched to MPEG4 that was the old MPEG2 channel. Sorry I don't remember exactly when it switched, I think it was sometime in September or October.

For anyone who switches, please report on the HD picture quality! From what I've seen of the SD channels, I'd have to say Direct is worse on many of them. (Which is not to deny that Dish has some that are utter garbage though.) When I was shopping for my TV last year, the store had ESPN-HD on via Direct, and it looked terrible to me. But store TVs aren't known for being properly calibrated, channel muxes get changed sometimes, and I don't watch ESPN anyway...

I just made the switch to Direct last week (was with Dish for about 8 years).
The PQ with Direct is much better both HD and SD on my set. There are some
things about the DVR that are different from Dish but I think I will get used to them with a little time and once I get them networked. I read many posts bashing the Direct DVR but I don't mind it so far. Getting all my locals and my RSN's in HD are worth the switch for me. Plus I'm saving about $40 a month.

To those who are thinking about switching to D*, we did so about a year ago, still cannot get used to the slow D* remote/guide/menu response issue.

Even though we have 4 D* HDDVRs all networked, have all the latest D* gigs, online scheduling, PC streaming from the DVRs, high speed VODs, none can ease the pain of the slow remote response.

If I were you, I would wait till February and see what new E* HD programming to roll out, and the price point. But if you are into those sports packages or need your local channels that E* still do not have but D* carries, can't blame you for switching.

For us, it was simply that E* would not lease more than two HDDVRs that forced us to switch a year ago.

Why oh Why???

So I can see why the OP started this thread, he was looking for a little confirmation on the decision he was making or not making. What I really don't understand is why there are so many "D" people replying and watching this particular forum? Is it because they are really not sure about the decision they made to move to D? Or maybe they are stuck with D and wish to haul a few people with them to share the misery?

In other words, why the lurking Direct posters?

Moe

For us, it was simply that E* would not lease more than two HDDVRs that forced us to switch a year ago.
I,m currently Leasing 3 HD DVRs, And I just cashed in my "5 Star Upgrade". So I'm taking my oldest 612 and swaping it for a 722.($50)I'll have a 722,622 and a 612. Still 3 HD rooms But added another SD room. For a total of 5 DVR rooms. I could have added another 612 instead and had 4 rooms HD DVR but I don't have 4 HD tv's. Plus the 722 added another SD room but kept my Lease fee the same per month. $21 for 5 rooms. And with America's everything pack . I pay no DVR fee's.
So bottom line E* will lease more then 4 rooms. You just have to spend so time with the company ,and Pay your bill on time.

Dish Network doesn't have to install any 2nd dish. My signal was fine. I wanted local channels in HD or I was going to drop tthem back then last summer and I bought into the stupid 150 channels in HD by the end of the year. Also they didn't tell me they needed to install a 2nd dish on the phone. They said I needed "an antenna upgrade". I thought they're going give me me the latest dish they had not need to put a 2nd one up. But still I shouldn't have let them. I wanted the dish on the roof to because it's just better for it to be up high.

Since they installed that I had several problems and they came out 4 times for service calls before one guy finally aimed them dead on and it made a difference. I also got my reciever swapped out from a 211 to a 211k then to a 612 DVR.

I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I'm actuallt still deciding. Thanks to those from Directv for your input and from dish network.

...So bottom line E* will lease more then 4 rooms. You just have to spend so time with the company ,and Pay your bill on time.

What are you implying?:)

We were with E* for two years before leaving, and D* did not ask us to prove anything, we got 4 HD DVRs on a lease from the get-go at $99/each, that was a year ago.

BTW I still have one 625 active for minimal programming.

What are you implying?:)

We were with E* for two years before leaving, and D* did not ask us to prove anything, we got 4 HD DVRs on a lease from the get-go at $99/each, that was a year ago.

BTW I still have one 625 active for minimal programming.
Oh now your HD DVRs were $99 each.:rolleyes:
This is what you told the guys at DBS talk.
http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=1547021&postcount=197
Not to mention telling Me D* gave you 4 HD DVR's for free. Priceless!
But your AAA Deal I though you got 2 Free when you started,and then D* 2 months later just gave you 2 more for free.. Interesting. 2 free ones as a New customer, and 2 Free ones as a customer of only 2 months. Wow. But now I guess they were $99 each. You still have 5 HD/DVR?

Last edited:
Dish Network doesn't have to install any 2nd dish. My signal was fine. I wanted local channels in HD or I was going to drop tthem back then last summer and I bought into the stupid 150 channels in HD by the end of the year. Also they didn't tell me they needed to install a 2nd dish on the phone. They said I needed "an antenna upgrade". I thought they're going give me me the latest dish they had not need to put a 2nd one up. But still I shouldn't have let them. I wanted the dish on the roof to because it's just better for it to be up high.

You are not listening/reading. Most local HD markets, including Akron, are carried on 61.5, to the south east. That's why they HAD to add the second Dish.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...d-akron-milwaukee-richmond-tampa-st-pete.html

I called Directv and asked them if they will remove both Dish Network satellites when they install theirs up on the roof and they said that's not their responsibility but it's up to the installer and they left him a note that I request that both Dish Network satellites be removed. When they take the mounts down they'll need to plug the holes up with something. I hope they'll be willing to do that. I'm sure none of the Dish Network equiment can be used accept for the cable which I don't mind if they use whats already routed from dish network. It's a couple years old but still good.

I have a question. When someone moves does Dish Network or Directv actually come to a persons house and remove their equipment or do they just leave it up and give the person new equipment at their new house?

Non-Premium HD channels you gain going to D* (most provide no HD programming, only upconverts): CMT, C&I, Fox Business, Fox News, Fuel, FX, MTV, Nick, Speed, Spike, and VH1.

Non-Premium HD channels you lose going to D* (all provide HD programming): HMC, Lifetime, LMN, Travel, WGN, WFN (OK, this one doesn't have HD!), and Encore (you get if you have AT250, not available from D* even as a premium).

When does WGN broadcast HD? I periodically tune to that channel to see what's up, but I've yet to see anything in HD. Is their HD limited to Cubs games? If so, I guess I'll never see WGN HD.

I called Directv and asked them if they will remove both Dish Network satellites when they install theirs up on the roof and they said that's not their responsibility but it's up to the installer and they left him a note that I request that both Dish Network satellites be removed. When they take the mounts down they'll need to plug the holes up with something. I hope they'll be willing to do that. I'm sure none of the Dish Network equiment can be used accept for the cable which I don't mind if they use whats already routed from dish network. It's a couple years old but still good.

I have a question. When someone moves does Dish Network or Directv actually come to a persons house and remove their equipment or do they just leave it up and give the person new equipment at their new house?

E* installs a new antenna at the new location. You take your receivers with you when you move. Sometimes they do recover the LNBs but not usually. I don't know what D* does. I don't think the D* installer is responsible for removing the E* hardware or for patching your house. That is likely your responsibility. You may get a good installer who will do it for you. If so, be sure to tip generously.

Oh now your HD DVRs were $99 each.:rolleyes:
This is what you told the guys at DBS talk.
DBSTalk.Com - View Single Post - Get additional $240 off as new DirecTV customer (No referral requests)
Not to mention telling Me D* gave you 4 HD DVR's for free. Priceless!
But your AAA Deal I though you got 2 Free when you started,and then D* 2 months later just gave you 2 more for free.. Interesting. 2 free ones as a New customer, and 2 Free ones as a customer of only 2 months. Wow. But now I guess they were $99 each. You still have 5 HD/DVR?

They did charge me for the HD DVRs and then gave me credits toward the programming, which is why I have yet paid anything (other than the initial monthly bill) after almost a whole year:) The 15 some referrals also helped too.

Still bitter?:)

Wait till you read me how I may get the best deal from E* again, if by 02/09 they can prove to us they can really compete in new HD programming and HD DVR hardware.