Switching to Directv finally

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The verdict is in.

I called Dish Network to cancel their service and they agreed to upgrade my service to America's top 200 along with the HD silver channels for free for 6 months along with throwing in HBO and Starz free for 3 months. All for the same price as I'm currently paying with America's top 100 with DVR advantage. I'll go ahead and pay them now. I was withholding payment to them for this month because of being about to switch to Directv.

This gives me until this summer to make up my mind and get a bunch more channels. :) I now have to cancel my order for Directv and I'll decide about them later if Dish Network doesn't have Fox News channel by this summer. The CSR in the cancelation department told me he had no idea when they will have Fox News HD and didn't want to say anything only to have people be disappointed which is a great answer. On top of that it's snowing constantly here in northeast Ohio and for Directv to have to remove my Dish Network satellites plug the holes they made plus install theirs in this freezing cold weather would be a lot of trouble. Also I like my ViP612 DVR.

I'm still a little disappointed though but I'll live with it for a little longer.

The verdict is in.

I called Dish Network to cancel their service and they agreed to upgrade my service to America's top 200 along with the HD silver channels for free for 6 months along with throwing in HBO and Starz free for 3 months. All for the same price as I'm currently paying with America's top 100 with DVR advantage. I'll go ahead and pay them now. I was withholding payment to them for this month because of being about to switch to Directv.

This gives me until this summer to make up my mind and get a bunch more channels. :) I now have to cancel my order for Directv and I'll decide about them later if Dish Network doesn't have Fox News channel by this summer. The CSR in the cancelation department told me he had no idea when they will have Fox News HD and didn't want to say anything only to have people be disappointed which is a great answer. On top of that it's snowing constantly here in northeast Ohio and for Directv to have to remove my Dish Network satellites plug the holes they made plus install theirs in this freezing cold weather would be a lot of trouble. Also I like my ViP612 DVR.

I'm still a little disappointed though but I'll live with it for a little longer.

I wonder how much the yearly price increases could be reduced if all you free-loaders would actually pay for what you subscribe to? No offense, but if you're getting six months of programming free, it's being paid for by someone else...

The verdict is in.

You probably locked yourself in to a 2 year contract.

I wonder how much the yearly price increases could be reduced if all you free-loaders would actually pay for what you subscribe to? No offense, but if you're getting six months of programming free, it's being paid for by someone else...

:up :up :up :up :up

I can agree with this to a DEGREE, but lets not forget, E* gave it to him, they didnt have to. All of the blame for this is on them. He is gone if it werent offered, it was, he accepted, now they/we have to pay. You cant say you wouldnt have taken it honestly. So dont be too hard on him for it:up

Come on Hemi, we both know that prices will go up yearly with or without the free things being given out. Can you say honestly that you have NEVER gotten anything free or reduced from E* or D*? Most people have. Reduced package prices, free DVRs, ect., asked for by the customer, or offered as a sign up or retention incentive. Its the same thing

PQ is always better when you switch... to whoever:rolleyes:

Right on that, my car runs better on new gas, I run faster in new shoes, hit the ball longer with a new driver and make more putts with a new putter. I'd like to see people do a blind test on the DirecTV and Dish receivers on their own sets at home. If they could identify which was which beyond the probability of 50/50 odds, I'd agree that Fox has great BCS bowl game program production. Hint: Fox's BCS coverage sucks.

And, to the guy who never uses more than 20% of his HDD space, personal preference man, do you donate any excess money you may have to a worthy cause?why do you need so much extra money? If you do donate all of your spare moolah, kudos to you.

Nick

Right on brother, maybe a little stiff but...:up:up:up:up:up:up:up

Kinda more like he wants free stuff so he calls up Dish and says he's gonna quit and take his ball home so they throw some schwag his way to pacify him. He's admitted to 2 drop Dish cancelation threats in the past year or so.

By then I will know more about the new sat, new HDs and new HDDVR, if any.

You and everyone else already knows that E* has the better HDDVR by FAR, the HDs are within 1 by count and then it's just preference and well, the sat I guess you'd just be gambling that it wouldn't be better. Seriously, would they bother with a new sat if it's wouldn't make it better, especially since the old sat will be moved and reused. You sound like a snake oil salesman seeing as how your special incentive package has changed so much as per Hemi stated.

Nick

I haven't called them and spoken to a cancellation person in the past. I have complained to them in the past on the phone and I think if someone does threaten to leave more than once within a period of time they probably won't comp that person with anything. If you don't like that they gave me that deal to bad. I'm happy they helped me out or else Directv would be here between 8am and 12 today. I still haven't canceled my Directv appointment. I pushed it back to March 11th but I'll probably be staying with Dish Network and like someone said I bet there is not a person in here who has been with Dish Network for any decent period of time without getting somekind of a deal and no they better not have renewed the 2 year contract. I thought about that and will call them maybe next month to see about it. I already took advantage of the free HBO and Starz deal once where you get locked in on a contract after they put my new Dish 500 up for 61.5 since they already at that time put me under a 24 month agreement.

Bottom line I like Dish Network anyway. When talking to the CSR guy in the cancellation dept. he acknowledged that sooner or later every pay tv provider will be pretty much 100% HD. He also said when I brought up leaving over Fox News HD that he had a lot of people ask about that.

Last edited:
I would be suprised if he didnt

I received a similar deal 1 1/2 years ago when I called to cancel DISH, I told them if they did not want to lease me a third and 4th HD DVRs I would have to leave, they offered me all the discounts if I would stay and wait and see if the leasing policy would change, but I insisted there would be no contract extension.

Six months later they still would not lease me more than two HD DVRs, and I switched to D* without a problem.

The thing is, if they add all the new HDs next month, and make the 922 available soon, I may switch back, this time I don't think I will be able to get away with not paying DirecTV the penalty since I will probably still have a few months left on my 2-year DirecTV contract by then:)

I still haven't canceled my Directv appointment. I pushed it back to March 11th but I'll probably be staying with Dish Network
Oh, after all this, you PROBABLY will be staying? Are all you life decisions so difficult? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

In all honesty, I've been contemplating a switch to D* for some time now. Since E* dropped 'certain channels', there has been no compelling reason for me to stay, and since the channel offerings are roughly the same, there is no compelling reason to switch either. Though i have to admit that MLB Network has certainly given me a reason to give D* a second look, they still don't have Travel Channel or the HBO suite of channels, and HBO is perhaps the premium channel I watch the most, so....

...but I must admit that while my interest is certainly peaked by the 922 as I'm sure everyones is, am not sure I would want to commit myself to new spectacular hardware in a few monthes if my two biggest complaints about dish aren't addressed. Those being the fact that Dish's channel guide is about as intuitive as a Boston streetmap, and the frustration of knowing that certain channels I may never see in HD due to 'political' reasons...

But we shall see, I passed up the HD-Tivo years ago to switch to E* when D* couldn't get their act together, I may yet pass up the 922 for the similiar reasons...the best HD hardware in the world doesn't do you very much good when you don't have the best HD to watch or record...

Yeah that assuming that 922 will be made available soon. Also how many features will not show up in the shipping version vs the version shown at CES

Dish has a history of making a great grand showing at CES and then never really delivering the goods.

Yeah that assuming that 922 will be made available soon. Also how many features will not show up in the shipping version vs the version shown at CES

Dish has a history of making a great grand showing at CES and then never really delivering the goods.

In all honesty, I've been contemplating a switch to D* for some time now. Since E* dropped 'certain channels', there has been no compelling reason for me to stay, and since the channel offerings are roughly the same, there is no compelling reason to switch either. Though i have to admit that MLB Network has certainly given me a reason to give D* a second look, they still don't have Travel Channel or the HBO suite of channels, and HBO is perhaps the premium channel I watch the most, so....

...but I must admit that while my interest is certainly peaked by the 922 as I'm sure everyones is, am not sure I would want to commit myself to new spectacular hardware in a few monthes if my two biggest complaints about dish aren't addressed. Those being the fact that Dish's channel guide is about as intuitive as a Boston streetmap, and the frustration of knowing that certain channels I may never see in HD due to 'political' reasons...

But we shall see, I passed up the HD-Tivo years ago to switch to E* when D* couldn't get their act together, I may yet pass up the 922 for the similiar reasons...the best HD hardware in the world doesn't do you very much good when you don't have the best HD to watch or record...
Kinda sounds like the OP's saga, still debating the pros & cons of each side. So, I guess we'll add you to the "on the fence" list? :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)