Switching to DirecTV HD Receiver Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TexasMama

Original poster
May 21, 2006
Hello,
I am seriously thinking about upgrade my 7 yr. old DTV receiver that has a Wide Range RF Remote (very important to me, so don't want to lose that option).
My husband's receiver is a newer TIVO.
Simply put: a "His & Hers" setup.. he watches what he wants and so do I all around the house, hence the wide range remote.

QUESTIONS:

(1) Does anyone know what MODEL HD Receiver DirecTV is offering now? They have a free HD receiver program going on until Sept. 1st. but no mention of model number. AND does that model have RF (wide range) capabilities? I already have the RF antenna that I can take from old receiver and switch over to the HD receiver. Not sure about remote compatibility, any thoughts?

(2 - A ) I read somewhere here on the boards that you could STILL pick up certain HD programming from DirecTV even if you do NOT have their HD programming upgrade. Does anyone know anything about this? AND if that is true, what channels are they?
I will be getting 4 months HD free then $9.99 after that. Thinking of cancelling after the 4 months are up.

(2 - B) So you ask WHY get a HD receiver at all?? I have a HD-READY TV that I was again told I could receive HD programming IF I had it connected to a DirecTV HD receiver even if it does not have the HD programming subscription. Again, can anyone clarify this for me?

(3) Do I need to upgrade the DISH? Just had it upgraded with the new TIVO upgrade about 6-8 months ago, how can I tell by looking at it if I need a new dish or not?

Don't want to go through all the hassles with DirecTV (nothing with Direct is easy!) if I can't get what I expect. And I know as well as God made green apples DirecTV doesn't have clue or answers except the "canned ones".

Lastly: If I plan to go ahead with this venture, what are the RIGHT questions I need to ask DirecTV before signing up? I have a few on my list already, just want to be sure I cover all the bases. Don't want any surprises.

Thank You in Advance - Looking forward to hearing from all of you "experts";)
Texasmama

Last edited:
1. The curent HD receivers are the H-10 (Mpeg2) and H-20 (Mpeg2 & 4) ...these are D* branded receivers, and YES they both have RF remote capabilities.
There are other older HD receivers available if you don't want the D* brand.
In order to get the specials you mentioned (Free HD receiver, I would expect the H-20 would be the receiver they would give you).

2. I think what you are refering to is the differrence between the MPEG2 and 4 HD channels. The upgrade being mentioned is probably the H-20 ( you'll probably get, and the AT -9 5 LNB dish) With out the AT-9 dish you will not get the Local HD thru D* (If available in your area) and the RSN sports channels.

3. Most of this was addressed in my answer to # 2

Welcome and Enjoy :)

Jimbo

1. Yes the current HD receivers are the H20 and HR10-DVR. Both are RF/IR remotes. The receivers work with any dish. However, to receive HD programming you need the 3-line dish. For Local HD programming provided by D* you need the 5-line dish. Also the HD-DVR does provide local HD channels provided by D*.

2. For "free" HD channels the only ones will be local channels in your market if they provide them. With all their HD receivers you can connect a antenna and receive local channels that way if you can.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts