SWM 8 vs SWM 16 Signal type

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Danny001

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2012
Bangor, ME
If I buy and install my own SWM 16, do I need to tell DTV for any reason? Is there a difference in the signal they beam down to a SWM 16 system vs a SWM 8?

ok, just want to make sure cause I need a 16 to be able to upgrade to a genie and they told me on the phone that they can see that I don't have one, don't want a tech since i'm a "northern" client

You may end up with a tech regardless. Genies drop shipped are far and few between and are not suppose to be done. Needing the 16 and the genie, you're prolly stuck having a tech

You may end up with a tech regardless. Genies drop shipped are far and few between and are not suppose to be done. Needing the 16 and the genie, you're prolly stuck having a tech

I recently ran into the same thing.
They were gonna drop ship a Genie to me then decided I needed a swm16 and canceled the shipment and sent a tech.

I could have done the work, however I decided if I let them do it it would save me the cost of the equipment.

ok, just want to make sure cause I need a 16 to be able to upgrade to a genie and they told me on the phone that they can see that I don't have one, don't want a tech since i'm a "northern" client
Your chances of getting a genie drop-shipped are close to nil.
Only possibility if you want the Genie as a free upgrade. Upgrade yourself to an SWM16. Call DirecTV and tell them to update the config in your account record to show you have an SWM16. Then wait a couple of weeks before calling them about the Genie.
Otherwise just "buy" it from Solid Signal.

Also the SWM16 have legacy ports. The Legacy ports can supply a standard Definition receiver a signal without using any SWM ports.

The SWM8 has legacy ports also. The SWM LNB of course does not.

In that case you may not get the spot beam channels I mentioned in the other thread.

Can I buy my own genie and 16 from solid sig and activate myself over the phone?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Ok I figured regardless of if I bought my own or got it upgraded that they would want to send a tech. What i'd like to try and do is get it as an upgrade without getting a tech obviously due to my location. My contract is about to expire in a few months and I'm willing to re-sign ( no plans of ever leaving DTV to be honest considering the alternatives we have "up here") So my thought was calling them up and seeing what they have to offer as incentive to re-sign, free Sunday Ticket and a Genie would be ideal. What would be the best way to achieve this. Call them up and have them change my system config to SWM 16, then when the contract is near expriry call up for the upgrade and ask for drop ship?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Last edited:
Ya that makes sense, at the end of the day, beggers ( canadians) can't be choosers :D .. Solid had the genies on for $299, not a huge expense I guess. But you can bet I will call for discounts and free ST before I activate the genie and automatically get re-signed. :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.