SWM question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm sorry, I was wrong. You can support 8 total SWM tuners and 3 total legacy tuners for an absolute total of 11 tuners. Keep in mind that the legacy ports do NOT pass Ka signals, so you will not get 99/103 on the legacy ports (no HD)

The two SWM ports can only support 8 between them--think of them as a single SWM port with an internal splitter.

Correct, 11 tuners in total, 8 SWM plus three legacy. That's the setup I have.

I'm sorry, I was wrong. You can support 8 total SWM tuners and 3 total legacy tuners for an absolute total of 11 tuners. Keep in mind that the legacy ports do NOT pass Ka signals, so you will not get 99/103 on the legacy ports (no HD)

The two SWM ports can only support 8 between them--think of them as a single SWM port with an internal splitter.

Thanks for the scoop. The info I had on the SWM-8 did not make this scrystal clear. :up

Ok guys, the whole system is working. I have 4 DVRs, each in two tuner mode, 3 HR 20 receivers and one legacy hooked up to feed music to the house system.

As a side note I originally could only get one of the 2 SWM to work. This morning I went to the board and swapped over the PI to try to decide if I had a bad SWM or maybe a PI problem. When I did this both SWM started working except no feed from the number one output on the SWM that was originally not working at all so I am thinking maybe the PI is supplying power but won't pass the signal through to the splitter so I hook that output up to the 1st output on the SWM that has always worked fine and it works? No I am confused..... I hook the other power supply back to the non working SWM first output and presto they all work? I have no idea why, but like they so "don't look a gift horse in the mouth".

I think the sequence of powering these things up and connecting receivers must be critical because I changed no wires or parts, just juggled things a bit and everything started working.

Again thanks for all the help guys.

Now...can I get the OTA to work and diplex it out at the TV? Anyone doing this?

Ok guys, the whole system is working. I have 4 DVRs, each in two tuner mode, 3 HR 20 receivers and one legacy hooked up to feed music to the house system.

As a side note I originally could only get one of the 2 SWM to work. This morning I went to the board and swapped over the PI to try to decide if I had a bad SWM or maybe a PI problem. When I did this both SWM started working except no feed from the number one output on the SWM that was originally not working at all so I am thinking maybe the PI is supplying power but won't pass the signal through to the splitter so I hook that output up to the 1st output on the SWM that has always worked fine and it works? No I am confused..... I hook the other power supply back to the non working SWM first output and presto they all work? I have no idea why, but like they so "don't look a gift horse in the mouth".

I think the sequence of powering these things up and connecting receivers must be critical because I changed no wires or parts, just juggled things a bit and everything started working.

Again thanks for all the help guys.

Now...can I get the OTA to work and diplex it out at the TV? Anyone doing this?

Some tips for the SWM: The PI has to be connected to the SWM-1 port. The second port works for an output, but cannot be connected to the PI. Turn on the PI before turning on any receivers. Power on the receivers one at a time, and be sure that you have them connected to the SWM before powering them on. Also, be sure that your splitters are only power passing on one port, and that the PI & SWM output are correctly connected to the power passing ports. Finally, while it's not necessary, it's recommended that you terminate unused ports, including the SWM2 port on the switch itself along with the splitter ports, and the IRD port on the PI if you do not use it.

As for diplexing, it's not officially supported but OTA doesn't interfere and plenty of people here have it working. You have to be sure to get diplexers that will pass the low frequencies of the SWM. I don't have this setup so someone else will need to advise you on it.

One SWM great, Two got problems

Ok Interesting problem occurring. When I first power up system everything great. After a couple of hours I start losing signal on some of the HD stations only like Starz (521). If I just run the one SWM that was working originally then everthing OK. As soon as I work the second one into the mix after 2 to 3 hours that is when problems occur and both SWM's and all receivers no less. If I unplug SWM #2 it fixes itself. Any idea on why this would happen?

Wonder if, after all of this, you've got a flaky LNB? Just seems wierd that you'd lose 103 on both SWM's after a couple of hours. You had no problems with signal strength before the SWM install? :confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ION Channel moves HD launch

What happens to locals?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)