SWM question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johndsparks

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2009
Louisiana
If I change from the 4 wire 5 LNG system to a SWM setup so I can run one wire to each 2 tuner DVR am I limited on the number of receivers I can have? I am setting up 4 two tuner DVRs and 3 regular HD receivers? So I guess 11 tuners total.

You use four high frequency splitters on the lines from the dish. Then connect the outputs to two SWM8's. Make sure that the two outputs from each splitter is connected to the like inputs on the SWM8s. There are other threads here about this subject.

So I need two SWM dishes or one dish with high frequency splitters? Please tell me the hardware I will need including the multiswitch? I am a noob at this so need all the assistance I need. It is just not practical for me to run an additional cable to each DVR.

So I need two SWM dishes or one dish with high frequency splitters? Please tell me the hardware I will need including the multiswitch? I am a noob at this so need all the assistance I need. It is just not practical for me to run an additional cable to each DVR.

No, you keep your current 4-output LNB on the dish and use a splitter to connect each output to the corresponding inputs of two SWM-8s. You will need to purchase these yourself, as Directv doesn't supply them.

Here's a nice installation guide for the SWM. http://forums.directv.com/pe/Reposi...96641/SWM - Integrated LNB-ModuleTraining.pdf There are several examples of how to wire either a SWM LNB dish or a SWM-8 using an existing Slimline 5-LNB. Personally my setup is like the one shown on page 30 in the guide. You can add SWM-8 modules to provide feeds to additional tuners. The nice thing about going the SWM-8 way is that you can expand the system without an additional dish. To the best of my knowledge nobody has come up with a way to run more than 8 tuners off a SWM LNB system.

So if I insert one high frequency splitter in each of the 4 lines like (DIRECTV SWS-2 Satellite 2-Way Wide Band (2 -2150 MHz) Splitter (SWS-2)) from the LNB then take those 8 outputs and plug them into 2 separate SWM 8s then that will give me 16 single lines out to run 16 tuners? Then I can just run one line to each DVR?

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help!

I don't think the splitters between the dish and SWM-8's have to be or should be SWS splitters. Splitters after the SWM-8's should be but I've seen postings of using other splitters successfully. Personally, since I'm only feeding three receivers with a total of five tuners, I'm using just the SWM1 port, with the SWM2 port terminated, to a 4-way splitter with one connection/port on the splitter terminated. I'm no expert though so if I've made an incorrect statement I'm sure somebody will correct me.

So if I

use the following config:

4 SWS-2 between LNB and
2 SWM-8 each with 2 outputs then
4 SWS-4 (one on each out) from the SWM8's

That will give me support for 16 tuners and I can run a single wire to each 2 tuner DVR?

I saw where someone suggested I didn't need SWS between the LNB and the SWM. Is that true and does it matter which LNB lines are connected to which inputs on the SWM's?

use the following config:

4 SWS-2 between LNB and
2 SWM-8 each with 2 outputs then
4 SWS-4 (one on each out) from the SWM8's

That will give me support for 16 tuners and I can run a single wire to each 2 tuner DVR?

I saw where someone suggested I didn't need SWS between the LNB and the SWM. Is that true and does it matter which LNB lines are connected to which inputs on the SWM's?

That would work for 16 tuners unless you have some non-DVR receivers. You need a wideband splitter, but it doesn't necessarily have to be the SWS model. It should be power passing.

You should connect the two output lines from each splitter to the same input port on each SWM.

it was my understanding that the swm8 can handle up to 8 outputs/channels. and dvrs count as 2 so would not the swm8 only handle 4 dvrs or 3 dvrs and 2 non dvrs?

That is correct. My previous response was to Johndsparks' question about how H21's would effect his setup. Probably is easiest to think of DVR's as two and non-DVR's as one and add up the total. Anything at eight or below you're good to go, anything above and you've got to add another SWM-8 or dish.

SO do I need to cap ALL unused ports on the SWS and the SWM's? I am going to use both of the outputs from the 2 SWM's into four 1 by 4 SWS's.

If you're using both SWM outputs on the SWM-8 then you don't need to cap any of the others. As I recall it's only the SWM2 output that needs to be terminated if you're not using it. You should cap any unused outputs on your splitters.

On the splitters one output says "power pass". What is the difference in this and the other and do I care?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)