SWM Tuner Troubles

Status
Please reply by conversation.

itherrkr

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Nampa, ID
I had a dilemma this past weekend and I am looking for some help. I have an HR24-500 that I take in my RV. When I turned it on, I could only get signal on tuner 2. Nothing on tuner 1. Thanks to the inability of telling the receiver to only use tuner 2 (it uses tuner 1 in single mode), I was unable to watch anything. I am disgusted Directv gives you no options to select the tuner to use, or that the software is not smart enough to use the tuner that actually works. Even the guide download after redoing SAT setup, never budges from 0%. I tried everything I could to fool the receiver, but I am the fool. I suspect the LNB has checked out, but being 3 hours from civilization made it impossible to make a call or get a new LNB. Anyone know how to fool the system?

SL3 and power inserter. It has worked fine twice this year, which is all it has been used since new.

OP, seeing tuner 2 worked and tuner one didn't (thats actually odd) what happened when you swapped it at the DVR from tuner 2 to tuner one on the back of the DVR ?

It didn't work at all when attached to the tuner 2 port. I think tuner 1 on the DVR is the only that works with SWM?

That is what is so maddening about this scenario. Without a functioning tuner 1 in the LNB, you cannot do a thing!

I upgraded from the old 1 cable, 1 tuner setup, which was bullet proof for camping. Used it for years. I changed to SWM, to eliminate the receiver reconfig when it is moved back into the house. I cannot remember if I saved the old LNB or not. I will look when I get home.

I upgraded from the old 1 cable, 1 tuner setup, which was bullet proof for camping. Used it for years. I changed to SWM, to eliminate the receiver reconfig when it is moved back into the house. I cannot remember if I saved the old LNB or not. I will look when I get home.
Even if you had it, it probably would not help. The DirecTV boxes need tuner 1 in order to boot up, all the startup data comes to tuner 1. Without tuner 1, it's dead....

I'm agreeing, tuner 1 sounds like it's gone on vacation. I see it often with SWM

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

If this happens a lot, why would DTV not allow the system to boot up using one of the available tuners, rather than locking it to tuner 1? Sounds like some poor programming.

Sounds like I should buy 2 SWM LNB's, so I have a spare or haul around my old LNB and B-band converter.:(

If this happens a lot, why would DTV not allow the system to boot up using one of the available tuners, rather than locking it to tuner 1? Sounds like some poor programming.

Sounds like I should buy 2 SWM LNB's, so I have a spare or haul around my old LNB and B-band converter.:(
It does not happen often....

So if you have a working set up and get No Signal on Tuner 1, thats usually a bad recvr .... I learned something .... :)
If you have SWM...
Of course if you have a legacy system that's usually a cable issue, which you can check by swapping the cables....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts