SWM3/SL3s and Acutrac III w/ASL-1 alignment?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

steveswamp

Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Apex, NC
My dish has been working for quite a while, but I'm having trouble getting some of the HD channels now. The D* installer put it up during a thunderstorm, so I'm sure he didn't get the alignment just right. So I'm going to go and tweak the dish. I've got an Acutrac III and an ASL-1. All the docs I have were for the SWM5 dish, and it shows adjusting tilt with the 119 sat. Now that I only see three, what's the aiming procedure? One D* training doc says you don't need to adjust tilt, but I can't believe that's true. So which port of the ASL do I need to be attached to in order to see the 99/103 sats?

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

If you see three pods on the lnb, it's a 5 lnb. There are three in the large pod.

The ASL-1 has a 101 and 119 terminal. I think you see the 99 and 103 by switching the Acutrac III. If you peak the 101 and 119 the 99 and 103 should fall into place. I use an SL3 and just preset the Tilt and forget about it. I just peak the 101. There is a process called Dithering where you average out the 101 and 119. I'd Google a little.

Here's a start:

http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/forums/displaypost?postID=10504990

Thanks for the help!

But I definitely have a 3LNB SWM. It's the large pod. I've set up the SWM5s before, but without the 119 on the SWM3, I wasn't sure if I could see the 99/103 on the 101 or 119 ports. Any help is appreciated.

Steve.

The ASL-1 has a 101 and 119 terminal. I think you see the 99 and 103 by switching the Acutrac III. If you peak the 101 and 119 the 99 and 103 should fall into place. I use an SL3 and just preset the Tilt and forget about it. I just peak the 101. There is a process called Dithering where you average out the 101 and 119. I'd Google a little.

I'm very familiar with dithering. The 101 isn't the problem - I've aligned to that many times. Just not on a SWM3. I pulled up the SL3s alignment procedures on the satinstalltraining website, which is where I found that you just set the tilt and let it be (look at page 1 of SL3s_LNB.pdf on the site). Which is what got me asking.

Thanks for the help.

Steve.

Yes, you just set the tilt to the number you get from the receiver (or from dishpointer) and then go from there, no need for further tilt adjustments. Because 99 and 103 are so close to 101, the "theoretical" tilt works fine, as long as you have the dish mast perfectly plumb
I'm very familiar with dithering. The 101 isn't the problem - I've aligned to that many times. Just not on a SWM3. I pulled up the SL3s alignment procedures on the satinstalltraining website, which is where I found that you just set the tilt and let it be (look at page 1 of SL3s_LNB.pdf on the site). Which is what got me asking.

Thanks for the help.

Steve.

Yes, you just set the tilt to the number you get from the receiver (or from dishpointer) and then go from there, no need for further tilt adjustments. Because 99 and 103 are so close to 101, the "theoretical" tilt works fine, as long as you have the dish mast perfectly plumb

Thanks! That's what I was looking for. Should be an easy job...once I get onto the roof....

Steve.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)