Symbolrate findings

Status
Please reply by conversation.

starman345

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2004
New Brunswick, Canada
Thought I would open this thread rather than hi-jack sky0001's any further. Brentb636 asked about symbolrate ranges of the Twinhan so I did a few tests.
I chose AMC3 for the satellite, and Tsreader 2.8.46b, tried both the twinhan 1020a and Skywalker 1 at various symbolrates.
On the Montana channel 12145, SR 4340 the Twinhan would acquire a lock anywhere from 4338 to 4343. The Skywalker would lock only on 4340 or 4341 actually I was surprised it locked at all, usually I can't get a lock.
On the PBSHD channel, 12140, SR 30000, the Twinhan would acquire a lock anywhere from 29988 to 30008. The Skywalker would lock anywhere from 29945 to 30045. Quite a difference there, the Skywalker did better at the higher symbol rate. Brent, that is a real difference from what you are saying you are getting with your Skywalker on a 30000 symbol rate. I wonder if the lnbf being used is a contributing factor? I'm using the Invacom quad.

I'm using the Invacom quad also. That is puzzling . Can you look at a couple 4:2:2 feeds , since that's where most of the problems seem to occur. Perhaps, the reported symbol rates of the 4:2:2 feeds are more innaccurate on my Merc than other SR rates . I'm going to look at the PBS HD channel and try to duplicate your results on my skywalker.
:)

Thanks
Brent

[edit] Played with it a little. After unplugging the skywalker-1 for a bit ( I almost never turn it off) , the skywalker-1 locked just fine on PBSHD at a SR=30031 . Also had no trouble locking at 29980 . Looks like I may have to only turn it on when I use it, and may avoid the problems I've been having. It wouldn't surprise me to have to revisit this thread as more evidence comes in. Thanks for helping , Starman.

Brent

Last edited:
Amc1 103.0

Tried the NBC mux at 11880H SR 26670 4:2:2
Twinhan 1020a locked anywhere from 26662 to 26677
Skywalker locked anywhere from 26629 to 26709
I noticed if I left the fec (tsreader calls it code rate) at the default setting the skywalker wouldn't lock at all, if I always just left it on auto it seemed to work fine.

Didn't notice you had edited your post before I posted mine. Odd, I have had my Skywalker since early-mid november and I don't ever remember having it powered down and I've had no problem like that. I find its really stable but I'm glad you posted your solution in case mine ever starts exhibiting those symtoms.

Most of my problems are on the 4:2:2 sports feeds that I pick up blindscanning. Entering the SR rate of either my Merc or the IV200 , the skywalker has generally failed to lock. Several months ago, I talked about this in a different thread, and Updatelee mentioned the same problem. Now that we've gotten this far, I'll have to check it out more rigorously. This has been informative. My skywalker-1 is April 07, one of the last hand made batch by Genpix.
Thanks again,

Brent

Ive noticed that as well, on high SR the genpix seems fairly flexible, but on low symbol rates boy it can be fussy. I resorted to using my analog ird tied into my shortwave radio to get an accurate SR.

Ive noticed that as well, on high SR the genpix seems fairly flexible, but on low symbol rates boy it can be fussy. I resorted to using my analog ird tied into my shortwave radio to get an accurate SR.

I have a few radios here I could use to find the sr but that is really cumbersome, expecially when I have the twinhan that tunes the lower ones really well. I jsut switch over to that. I'm waiting for that perfect receiver that does everything....high and low srs, blind scan, 4:2:2, hd, pvr, dvb-s2, etc, etc.....dream on eh?

Brent, not sure if this applies or not but I was reading elsewhere about the Genpix devices and any unit after July 17/07 comes with current firmware, older than that can be updated with the firmware update utility. Since your's is an april/07 model, maybe an update might help, if you haven't done it already?

Thanks Starman, but I've already updated it. I noticed last night that I didn't have any trouble locking on tp's that were "off" the actual SR by 10 or so. Now that I have the unit unplugged when not in use, the symptoms are not repeatable. Either a long term heat issue, or simply a "digital glitch" that needed resetting. I'm going to plug it back in again, and see what happens. Can't troubleshoot it , until I can get symptoms to repeat.

Brent

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts