System not working after lightning strike

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bradcny

Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
This has stumped me and some of my other colleagues. I went on a service call to a house where the oweners said that the dish had been struck by lightning. To make a long story short, I practically did a new install. New dish, new dual coax from the dish, new multiswitch, and new cable from the multiswitch to the receiver. I get no signal a the receiver at all. So, I tried swapping out the receiver to see if that was it ( I actually did that first) That didn't help. Somebody thought that maybe removing the grounding plug from the outlet might help, but I don't know. I have, one by one, eliminated every physical problem I can think of. Any thoughts or suggestiosn as to what to try next.

You didn't mention the LNBs - I assume you swapped them as well. Check for a short in a barrel connector somewhere, like the grounding blocks - a check with an ohmmeter should be sufficient...

Yup, LNB was changed as well, and I've checked the ground block. My colleague thinks that maybe the IRD is sending too much voltage back through the multiswitch and frying it out.

Did you check the cable? One time when we were hit by lighting, it actually melted the cable at one location where the cable was next to a metal object.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts