Tablet and E-Reader sales soar

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
New York Times has a blog story today about a report about tablet and e-reader sales.

Tablet and E-Reader Sales Soar - NYTimes.com

The report, from the Pew Research Center’s Internet and American Life Project, found that the share of adults who owned tablet computers increased to 19 percent from 10 percent, with the same increase for adults who owned e-readers.

That was a sharp change from the period covering the middle of 2011 into the autumn, when the ownership of tablets and e-readers barely budged, the report said.

From the Pew Web site:

OVERVIEW
The share of adults in the United States who own tablet computers nearly doubled from 10% to 19% between mid-December and early January and the same surge in growth also applied to e-book readers, which also jumped from 10% to 19% over the same time period.

The number of Americans owning at least one of these digital reading devices jumped from 18% in December to 29% in January.

These findings are striking because they come after a period from mid-2011 into the autumn in which there was not much change in the ownership of tablets and e-book readers. However, as the holiday gift-giving season approached the marketplace for both devices dramatically shifted. In the tablet world, Amazon’s Kindle Fire and Barnes and Noble’s Nook Tablet were introduced at considerably cheaper prices than other tablets. In the e-book reader world, some versions of the Kindle and Nook and other readers fell well below $100.

The full report is available on this page: Tablet and E-book reader Ownership Nearly Double Over the Holiday Gift-Giving Period | Pew Research Center's Internet & American Life Project

I thought breaking the $100 barrier for e-readers would be a game changer. Too bad we probably won't see actual sales numbers released. It took hours on Christmas day to get my new Touch registered correctly.

This was just a survey done by Pew, not a sales report, so I am not surprised about the actual numbers, but it supports my argument about how the $79 and $99 Kindles will revolutionize the book world. And I think it coming true. Of course, just go into Best Buy and look how the display area for e-readers and tablets has grown in the past five months.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)