Status
Please reply by conversation.

dave2503

Original poster
Jul 27, 2015
Leechburg, PA
Just purchased this:
DirecTV SL3 HD Portable Satellite Dish Mobile tripod kit RV Tailgating Camping
Bought a Power Inserter. Connected to a HR24-500 receiver. Getting the "Cannot detect SWM" message. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for any help.

If the LNB has 4 outputs in not a SWM and you don't need a power inserter. Just two lines from LNB to receiver along with two BBCs

Yes, if this is a non-SWM installation you do not need a power inserter. But if the HR24 has previously been used on an SWM system (it looks like it has), you need to make sure it is "unset". Go through satellite setup, set "multiswitch" first and then the correct dish types will become available.
Also, you will need two cables connected to the dish and a BBC for each line (call DirecTv and they will send you the BBCs free of charge).

If the HR24 is from your home installation and that is SWM, you might think about getting an SL3-S SWM LNB and using that on your RV dish, then you can use a "home" receiver without having to change the dish type everytime (and you won't need the BBCs), you will of course need the power inserter.

Worth noting that the HR24 (in this case) wont switch to a legacy set up without having a good aligned dish before proceeding with the satellite set up.

Yes - probably the best approach would be to set up the dish and receiver in the driveway and get the receiver set to non-SWM. Or just make life easy and get an SWM LNB.

Seeing one of you brought this up ...
Is there a Proper way that always works for changing a SWM set up recvr back to legacy ?

Does it have to be hooked up to a aligned dish to do this ? I think it does.

Sometimes I can get them to go back easily, other times not .... usually using HR24s.

Yes jimbo, in order for the hr24 to fully set from swm to legacy the receiver has to be connected to a properly aligned dish. Otherwise it will revert back to swm when the receiver is reset with rbr or hard reset.

As I expected ...

Are there correct steps to doing so ?

The only way that I've figured out how to do it without running into issues on a regular basis is to ensure that the dish is properly aligned, then change to either legacy SL3 or SL5, change the switch type to multi-switch.. that should allow the receiver to verify the installation. Of course, it would need BBCs as mentioned before, but that would at least get the receiver to convert to multi-switch instead of SWIM. This will ensure that if rbr or hard reset is done, then you wouldn't have to worry about repeating sat setup again.

I second the "just buy a SWM LNB" motion. That's what I ended up doing for my tailgating rig The 3LNB is $22 prime on amazon, and will save you lots of time on every use.

I second the "just buy a SWM LNB" motion. That's what I ended up doing for my tailgating rig The 3LNB is $22 prime on amazon, and will save you lots of time on every use.
...and you need the power inserter..

Ah right. Sorry, I had a spare one around, but you're exactly right.

Still - ease of use carries day here, i think...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)