Tailgate with DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pensan04

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2017
Greenville, SC
I have been using a SL3PIG-WNC satellite with a very old non-HD receiver in the past to tailgate. That receiver is too old to be activated now, and I need to get another receiver to add to my setup for tailgating. I also have an 18LNBR1-01 satellite (old one that i picked up from a neighbor).

My question is what receiver do I need to run with either of these satellites. The 18LNBR1-01 is smaller, which would be easier to transport, but I don't know if it is HD compatible (HD is not a dealbreaker, as we haven't used HD before). I am willing to use either satellite though.

So which receiver do I need to purchase? DVR is not needed at all, just a basic receiver that's stand alone for tailgating.

Thanks

If. ... you want to go HD, look for a H24, they are more current than some out there and you can activate that one.
Now That's a Non DVR.... you said you didn't need a DVR . .. if you decide a DVR would be nice, look at the HR24s

If. ... you want to go HD, look for a H24, they are more current than some out there and you can activate that one.
Now That's a Non DVR.... you said you didn't need a DVR . .. if you decide a DVR would be nice, look at the HR24s

Thanks Jimbo

DVR isn't needed, so the H24 would be fine. Which satellite would work better? The 18LNBR1-01 or the SL3PIG-WNC?

I'd rather use the 18LNB1-01 simply because it is smaller, but that's not really that big of a deal. It would depend on which would work better and would there be any other equipment needed (my research has shown something about a power supply or BBC?)

Use the SL3 dish, easier to work with, now and in the future.
No Power supply needed with either recvr I mentioned as it's still using the SL technology, not the SWM ....
Only need BBCs if you decide to use HD.

No Power supply needed with either recvr I mentioned as it's still using the SL technology, not the SWM ....

Awesome... you have been a ton of help.

Allow me another question. What is the BBC? Can you give me some more detail on what I have to buy and then how it works together? Never done HD, so it would be new to me. But I would like to try it out.

One other question, would an H44 receiver work? Just from looking online it looks ~50 bucks cheaper. I can't tell what the difference is, but figured I would at least ask

I would suggest the SWM version, even with additional power, as it's so much easier to wire.

I tailgate with an 18X20 dish and an SWM LNB, hooked up to an H24, and it works great.

I would suggest the SWM version, even with additional power, as it's so much easier to wire.

I tailgate with an 18X20 dish and an SWM LNB, hooked up to an H24, and it works great.

Thanks... does that mean I would need another dish or an additional piece of equipment to add to my existing dish

Thanks... does that mean I would need another dish or an additional piece of equipment to add to my existing dish

Nope. Your SL3 can be used for HD, but it's just bigger than my 18X20 (commonly known as phase 3). That phase 3 setup isn't officially supported, but it normally is more than good enough for a tailgating rig.

If you buy the SWM LNB, it should come with the needed power supply.

The difference is in the wiring, and future-proofing. With the non-SWM, you will need 4 cables into a multiswitch, though probably not for a tailgating rig.

With SWM, you run one wire from the LNB to the power supply, then one to the receiver. Easy.

Nope. Your SL3 can be used for HD, but it's just bigger than my 18X20 (commonly known as phase 3). That phase 3 setup isn't officially supported, but it normally is more than good enough for a tailgating rig.

If you buy the SWM LNB, it should come with the needed power supply.

The difference is in the wiring, and future-proofing. With the non-SWM, you will need 4 cables into a multiswitch, though probably not for a tailgating rig.

With SWM, you run one wire from the LNB to the power supply, then one to the receiver. Easy.

Maybe a dumb question but what exactly is a SWM LNB? My SL3 does have the 4 coax lines, but I have always just plugged one in and used it for non-HD. With HD, I assumed I take that same line, connect a B Band Converted, and then plug in the box. Then I understand you have to find multiple satellites?

If I buy this SWMLNB, can I then use the 18LNB1-01 satellite with a BBC?

I had the SD setup down pat, but this HD stuff is starting to confuse me. And the big game is Saturday, so I am scrambling to get this working. I went ahead ordered a H24 box and a BBC, and they will be here Thursday so I have a chance to test it all

One other question, would an H44 receiver work? Just from looking online it looks ~50 bucks cheaper. I can't tell what the difference is, but figured I would at least ask
The H44 would require a SWM set up ...

Do you have D* already in your home ?

Guys, do they consider the H44 to be a Genie ?

Pensan,
Either set up will work, it is just a different way to set it up is all.

If you go SWM, you need to get a SWM LNB (to make it easier) No BBCs required with That set up, you would need a Power Insertor (PI) for the SWM set up.

Both ways work fine, you just have to decide on which one you want to use.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)