Tailgating Help- How To Get Both Local and "ESPN" Dishes to Work

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Superdave55

Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
I've been using my DirecTV dish at tailagates for a few years now and have has no problems receiving ESPN and the movie channels, but receiving my local channels is a problem.
I live in Goose Creek SC 29445, suburb of Charleston. DirecTV finally offered us the local channel option about two years ago, installer came out and installed a separate dish, apparently my locals are coming from a different satellite. I've attempted a few times to locate my local dish while tailgating but have had no success. I'm assuming that if I wish to simultaneously receive the local and "ESPN" signal while tailgating I will need two dishes, one pointing at each satellite. What next? Do I need to have the separate signals going into a multiplexer? Will my receiver then automatically recognize the two different signals? Please pass along your knowledge. THANKS!!!!!!!!

How big is your 2nd dish? If it's REALLY big, you're running on a wing bird and will need 2 dishes.

You need a 3-LNB dish. It will allow you to receive both local and normal channels on a single dish. You can pick one up for cheap on eBay. It looks like this:

winegard_multisat_dish.jpg

Bryan

bshrode said:
You need a 3-LNB dish. It will allow you to receive both local and normal channels on a single dish. You can pick one up for cheap on eBay. It looks like this:

Bryan

His zip code denotes Charleston DMA and those LIL should be on DirecTV 1 at 72.5°w which can't be seen be the PhaseIII dish that only sees 101,110,119.

Last edited:
bshrode said:

Bryan

Charleston SC locals are on the 72.5 sat so you cannot pick it up with the phase 3 dish. He would have to use 2 dishes (one pointed at 101 and one pointed at 72.5) and then a multiplexer to make it work. Probably not worth it, getting ESPN the Game Plan may work the best. Although you will have to worry about blackouts. Sorry I have no good solution.

Greatly appreciate the responses!

Yep, definitely need two dishes, one pointed at 72.5 and the other at 101. While gameplan is a valid option don't think it's the best solution. Unfortunately the SEC games I usually want to watch are on CBS, only solution is to get my locals.

Seems the only solution is two dishes and a multiplexer, not a problem. I do still have a few questions. Do both dishes need to be dual LNB dishes? I've found people suggesting that the dish pointing towards my local satellite, 72.5, only needs a single LNB dish. I've currently got a single LNB dish I use at tailgates to pickup satellite 101, works great. Curious if the addition of the multiplexer will cause me to now need a dual LNB for satellite 101 and what is needed for 72.5?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Superdave55 said:
Greatly appreciate the responses!

Yep, definitely need two dishes, one pointed at 72.5 and the other at 101. While gameplan is a valid option don't think it's the best solution. Unfortunately the SEC games I usually want to watch are on CBS, only solution is to get my locals.

Seems the only solution is two dishes and a multiplexer, not a problem. I do still have a few questions. Do both dishes need to be dual LNB dishes? I've found people suggesting that the dish pointing towards my local satellite, 72.5, only needs a single LNB dish. I've currently got a single LNB dish I use at tailgates to pickup satellite 101, works great. Curious if the addition of the multiplexer will cause me to now need a dual LNB for satellite 101 and what is needed for 72.5?

Thanks!!

You are correct that your 72.5 satellite only needs to be single LNB.. it only uses even (18v) transponders.. It would be best to have a dual LNB on your 101 dish so you can receive both even and odd transponders.. then you could get a 4x4 multiswitch.. hook both cables from 101 into 13v and 18v Sat A.. then hook the single wire coming from the 72.5 dish into the 18v port for Sat B.. then run autodetect on your receiver and it will see 101 and 72.5 and you'll get it all.

-Dan

Tailgating

DEF: not exactly Websters but
: a social gathering at a sporting or other public event , usually involving food , drink , and more recently TV usually satellite.
Most commonly done from the "TAILGATE" of a pickup or SUV.

Doctor j

Status
Please reply by conversation.