Taking the plunge

Status
Please reply by conversation.

krazorback

Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
midwest
Hi, noob here... I was clicking through the affiliate sites and I'm strongly considering the SINGLE SATELLITE DSR100C SYSTEM from satelliteav (sorry wont let me post links because i'm new)

I'm a little confused on one thing, the receiver it comes with mentions blind scan as a feature, but it's a stationary dish so how does it scan anything? I was hoping that with very little knowledge while I'm learning how this whole thing works, that I could blind scan through the satellites and start getting some content. I'm from Arkansas and living out of state, so the ultimate goal is to get some local feeds from back home. I once ran across a listing of basketball games on FTA channels, and Arkansas had quite a bit of representation.

When I came to the forum, I kind of expected to find a FTA for Dummies tutorial stickied to keep the noob questions down... sorry guys. Any advice is appreciated.

It will scan for channels on whatever satellite you have the dish aimed toward. Of course, you can add a motor later on, to make life easier. If you desire, most receivers now will let you set a number of satellites to scan, it will move the dish with the motor to that sat, scan, then to the next, etc. I've never used that feature myself but it might be handy for some people.

edit: also, as for basketball, you can find some games at times, but keep in mind that many of them are now being carried in high-def, and unless you buy a high-def fta receiver, you won't get any video from those. There's still plenty to see with standard definition receivers though.

... I'm from Arkansas and living out of state, so the ultimate goal is to get some local feeds from back home.
Unless there is something in particular you had in mind, some sport, some city, etc, most of your home town stations are not on FTA satellite.
Not like they are on DishNetwork or on DirecTV.
Much of their network feeds are, but not their local news or locally produced shows.

Thanks TurboSat and Anole. I'm not looking to replace my cable tv with FTA satellite. The FTA would only be expected to supplement when Ark plays lower tier opponets which are never broadcast in High Def. I saw Galaxy 10R contained several listings for Arkansas programming... that's what got me interested. But I wiki'd G10r and see that it's in a graveyard orbit... so is it still functional, and if so, for how much longer? I don't care to watch the news etc, it's just that the SEC network carries a lot of Razorback games, and they're aired in local markets such as on KATV ABC Little Rock. The real question is SEC Network affiliates are fed by ESPN Regional, so will that feed be encrypted and from an ESPN satellite rather than the typical G10R that feeds the station normally?

krazorback, I've seen the SEC feeds on saturdays football games, so far this season it has been
scanning in as SEC -HD1 or similar 100% of the time. But you still might be able to find a feed to catch some of your games. Not much on G10r any more , as noted. I'll send you a private message.

I saw Galaxy 10R contained several listings for Arkansas programming... that's what got me interested. But I wiki'd G10r and see that it's in a graveyard orbit... so is it still functional, and if so, for how much longer??

G-10R is dead. It was replaced by G-18, but the Arkansas-based Equity programming is no longer there. As stated above, Equity went under.

Thanks so much everyone, your info was a big help.

What do you guys think about the Sonicview 8000 HD V2? Looks like I definitely need an HD receiver, now I'm running across all this 4.2.2 stuff that seems to have a lot of receivers stumped. Can anyone recommend the most affordable receiver with all the right stuff to get me any KU HD+standard def feed? One that updates over ethernet would be nice... Thanks again everyone.

How about getting a Pansat 2700 or 3500 or other brand equivalent off e-bay to get started. (they are going cheap) Then plan on an Azbox for 4:2:2, etc after you find out if you like FTA or not. The basic SD reciever would always be good for backup and dish aiming down the road. if you are looking for sports feeds, a good blind scan will be handy and I don't think the Sonicview has that.

GL, Eric

Is there any decent hardware for my PC that has HD, blind scan, 4.2.2, DVB-T, DVB-C, DVB-S2, ATSC, etc, etc, etc ??? Operating system and requirements are non-issue.

I found this one to be pretty interesting:
DVB-S2 PCIe 2005 DVBWorld HD FTA Satellite Receiver

It lists having support for satellite / transponder auto scan... is this the same as blind scan? Other than that it seems to support any kind of feed available, and likely can upgrade as technology changes.

Retail package Includes:

• [*]
    DVBWorldDTV DVB-S2 PCI-E card

[*]
    IR Remote control

[*]
    IR Receiver

[*]
    2XAAA Batteries

[*]
    Installation Manual

[*]
    Software CD
Key Features

• [*]
    Support DVB-S Protocol (EN 300 744)&DVB-S2 Protocol (EN 302 307)

[*]
    Support DVB-Data Protocol (EN 301 192)

[*]
    PCI Express 1.1 standard Spec.

[*]
    Digital Satellite TV and Radio Program Receiving

[*]
    HDTV (MPEG2&MPEG4/H.264)playing

[*]
    Real Time Digital Video Recording (DVR) and Scheduling Recording

[*]
    Time-Shifting

[*]
    Electronic Program Guide (EPG)

[*]
    Still Frame Capture

[*]
    Multi Free Channel Preview

[*]
    Subtitle

[*]
    Satellite / Transponder Auto Scan

[*]
    IP PID scanning, IP data broadcasting in LAN

[*]
    MPEG2 Video broadcasting in LAN, Generate IP data broadcasting task automatically

[*]
    IP MPEG4 media playing, IP MPEG4 media recording

[*]
    Internet via Satellite

[*]
    DVB data service

[*]
    High download speed via satellite bandwidth

[*]
    Favorite List

[*]
    Full Screen Display

[*]
    Multi language Switch

[*]
    MPEG-II Software Decoding

[*]
    Software Upgradeable

[*]
    DiSEqC 1.2 / USALS Support

[*]
    IR Remote Controller Included

[*]
    Ready for CA & CI Module Upgrade interface
TUNER

• [*] Input Terminal: F-type 75 Ohm

[*] Receiving Frequency: 950~2150 MHz Tuning Range

[*] Input Level: -75~-10dBm

[*] Carrier Capture Range : ±5MHz

[*] Ambient Temperature: 0°C to +70 °C

[*] Support MCPC and SCPC
Demodulator & FEC

• DVB-S

[*] Symbol Rate: 2~45Msps

[*] QPSK filter: Root-raised cosine filter with roll-off 0.35

[*] Punctured codes: 1/2,2/3,3/4,5/6,7/8 and Auto ? ? ?DVB-S2

[*] Symbol Rate:2~30 Msps

[*] FECQPSK:1/2, 3/5, 2/3, 3/4, 4/5, 5/6, 8/9, 9/10

[*] 8PSK:3/5, 2/3, 3/4, 5/6, 8/9, 9/10
LNB & Switch control

• [*] LNB Supply Voltage: 13V/18V with Short Circuit Protection

[*] DiSEqC: 1.2

[*] Support Data Burst & Tone Burst

[*] Antenna and LNB Control: 22KHz Tone

[*] Max. LNB Supply Current: 450mA
PCI-Express interface

• [*] PCI Express 1.1 Standard Spec.

[*] One full-duplex PCI Express Lanes.(x1 lane)

[*] PCIE Max_playload_size is 256bytes

[*] PCI Express Capability Structure Registers
De-Multiplexing

• [*] Max. No. Section filtering:64 PIDs

[*] Engine: software

[*] Streams capture: PES and TS
A/V Format

• [*] Video format: MPEG-II Main Profile& Main Level

[*] Audio format: MPEG-II Audio layer I & II
System Requirements

• [*]
    Microsoft Windows 2000/XP32/64 Vista32/64

[*]
    P3 500MHz CPU or above for SDTV

[*]
    P4 2.0GHz CPU or above for HDTV

[*]
    128M RAM for SDTV / 256M RAM for HDTV

[*]
    VGA Card with at the least 16MB Memory

[*]
    Microsoft Direct X 8.1 or above

[*]

Last edited:
We have an additional subforum dealing with PCI and USB receivers.
Free to Air PC DVB Discussion - SatelliteGuys.US
You might tiptoe through there for some relevant info.

I tried USB for my first receiver... it was a nightmare.
Then, I tried a PCI for my second. The nightmare continued.
Then, I got a stand alone receiver and the lights went on.
Tuning up a dish, tracking the arc, controlling switches, and mastering the receiver software packages are too much to deal with all at one time.
I suggest you get an STB to get started, and later if you want to add a computer-based system, you should be fine.

edit:
Unless things have changed in the last six months, none of the USB/PCI cards will blind scan.

So do you have to tune up the dish, track the arc and control switches with a set top box? I have faith there won't be much problem mastering the software.

If you get a motorized system, yes the receiver handles the motor control, switch control. You have to align the dish to the satellite arc, for your location. For a rookie, it will be easier to skip the motor install until you get the knack of finding that first satellite or two. Learning how to align the dish is possibly the hardest part of the hobby. But it's not that tough.

If you get a motorized system, yes the receiver handles the motor control, switch control. You have to align the dish to the satellite arc, for your location. For a rookie, it will be easier to skip the motor install until you get the knack of finding that first satellite or two. Learning how to align the dish is possibly the hardest part of the hobby. But it's not that tough.

I make a living turning angles, not too concerned about getting the horizontal and vertical angles lined up. I just found a Coolsat 6100 locally, and from what I've read this will see HD feeds, and output SD which is fine for what I want. What I was asking about before was in reference to the previous post that it would be harder to start with the PCI card instead of a set top box, just wondering if there's anything other than learning the new software that's going to give me added problems... doesn't matter now though, I'm going to try this Coolsat unless you guys tell me I shouldn't. It looks like a great receiver, and the source code for the OS was recently released open source... so that's a good thing for the future right?

Coolsat has 2 HD Receivers: 8000 & 8100.
If it's not an HD receiver, it can not handle HD Video.

You're probably right, I failed to verify something that was posted on another board, that the 6100 would accept HD feeds. Unfortunately it looks like I'm going to fight the PCI card. All the feeds I care about seem to be in HD.

You may have read that some PVRs will record an HD feed even though they can't display it. (As long as it's not DVB-S2.) Your results may vary with this. My Coolsat 7000 records, it, but when I play it on my computer it breaks up. I don't know whether it's because I'm using a drive that's too slow, or whether the Coolsat's USB port is too slow. Everybody says that the CS7k is almost a clone of the Visionsat IV-200, which is supposed to be fine with it, but I don't know how close of a clone it actually is because its blind scan doesn't seem as sensitive as what people say the IV-200 is.

The Visionsat IV-200 will record both HD and 4:2:2 material, and the HD .TS files will play just fine on a PC that has MPEG-2 hardware acceleration (which includes most computers built within the past 3 or 4 years). For 4:2:2, VLC will play that content. Unfortunately, the Visionsat inserts some sort of header information (that its PVR software reads) which confuses many PC media players, including VLC. Therefore, it is necessary, before playback, to re-mux the .TS file.

The Visionsat IV-200 will record both HD and 4:2:2 material, and the HD .TS files will play just fine on a PC that has MPEG-2 hardware acceleration (which includes most computers built within the past 3 or 4 years).

So you can record HD feeds but can't watch them live with the receiver? Strange. Can you stream the TS file to your PC and watch live?

BTW, while visiting home I picked up a 30x24 Dish Plus with no LNBs attached on the side of the road... figured it might be a decent start. Anything I should know about using this dish? What type of adapter or LNB should I use?
Here's a stock photo of the Dish with stock LNB: http://www.dishuser.org/pictures/ts2009/dpp500plus-1.jpg

If it has the lnb-support arm still attached, sure you can use it for some fta. A little undersized but should get most of the stronger feeds once you attach a linear lnbf to it. I think SatelliteAV, one of our sponsors sells a linear lnbf that attaches to the stock lnb support. If not, you can fashion one , Ill try to attach a picture of one I cobbled together on a dish500 dish. And yes, even that small dish gets a lot of signals. And please ignore my crappy test cable-connection, I had run out of connectors !

Attachments

• IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 180
Status
Please reply by conversation.